Sign in to follow this  
ratfink

Trailer

some lettering i did on a trailer awhile back... airbrushed vinyl...colors are alittle pale do  to the camera.. :rolleyes:

post-5475-12986553553241_thumb.jpg

post-5475-12986553553476_thumb.jpg

post-5475-12986553573582_thumb.jpg

post-5475-12986553573735_thumb.jpg

Looks awesome! Racing is what got me into graphics and decals, nothing better than a great looking car and trailer!

Ive seen this kind of work alot on company vehicles and I always thought that the shading was done with a printer/cutter. How did you airbrush it? I have an airbrush so this is something I might be able to do. Good job by the way! I love the way it looks. We have a business up around my area that has their trailer done and it had similar shading and checkers and stuff and I always loved it, so naturally I love this. Good job :rolleyes:

I am assuming that you first sprayed  the  yellow on the white and then the red.

congrats on a good job.

yea most now are printer/cutters,and look fine..but honestly airbrushed fades look much better when done right. its just white vinyl,with yellow to orange to red fade.i usually try to use 3 colors for a smoother fade, the darkest just highlighting the edge.. just cut ur lettering but DONT weed it.i wipe down with alcohol/prep...paint it ,let set up then weed. this one was done with Createx AutoAir (water base)and litely coated with a cheap spray can of clear enamel.(just watch with water paints if its not completly sealed by the clear and u transfer or apply with water,well it can pull the paint off! uhoh! lol..)  OneShot works even better,dont need to clear ,drys to a gloss and matches the gloss of the vinyl. although oneshot takes a bit longer to dry! remember keep the gun back some and slowly build up the color. just experiment with some scrap vinyl u will geta feel for it! good luck! :rolleyes:

here is some more stuff that used airbrushing. first is a night club logo spayed with green onto a lime green vinyl... second 2 pics are some rc cars i painted and lettered , u can see how the fade really makes it pop!

post-5475-12986553556514_thumb.jpg

post-5475-12986553556837_thumb.jpg

post-5475-12986553557077_thumb.jpg

post-5475-12986553575811_thumb.jpg

post-5475-12986553575999_thumb.jpg

post-5475-12986553576172_thumb.jpg

Guest kenya

Awesome work ratfink.  :rolleyes::)

I envy folks who airbrush.  :)

Thats awesome to know because the paint you mentioned I have like 20 bottles of. lol. I have them from when I first started out and never got the automotive grade airbrush paint. Im def going to have to give this a try!! thank you so much for giving me so new ideas!!! You do amazing work. :rolleyes:

Nice work, GO BURLEY, i usually watch him race on a weekly basis

i guess the airbrushed look is called "jersey" style...  trashy and flashy! lol i grew up seeing race cars and the lettering on them... my lettering idol/god is Scotty Kania! i need to post pics of his work! uhhhh

the vinyl i use is avery... only because thats what the local sign supply deals with.. A9 avery.. they also have paint receptive vinyl but never tried it..

j3werks here is another pic 4 ya! rc car i lettered for a friend and crew member.

post-5475-12986553616998_thumb.jpg

post-5475-12986553635775_thumb.jpg

I've been reading this thread with interest, but I have to ask, do you app tape your airbrushed vinyl? Does it not pull the paint off?

Just curious!

PS Love the work, expecially the Crocodile Rock!

well depends on the paint used... i tend to use the waterbase paints when im in a hurry(dries quick with moms old hair drier!)..well as much as i hurry lol... and yes i have had it pull off, but i think its because it wasnt fully cured or applied to heavy..or the  clear coat didnt seal it ..or all all of the above...(but im talking within a 10 min time) NEVER had it happen with proper curing time... and it only happend when i used water base paint and used water/dishsoap during stacking ..when i first started with vinyl i went to a sign show in atlantic city where i saw Butch Anton "mr frog juice" show me that Krylon spray paint sticks to vinyl... so u dont need to have an airbrush...  when in doubt OneShot! or an enamel..im sure cheap hardware store enamel would work! experiment!

Great job, I had bought an airbrush setup at a yard sale and never did anything with it.  Makes me wanna fire it up and practice

here is some more stuff that used airbrushing. first is a night club logo spayed with green onto a lime green vinyl... second 2 pics are some rc cars i painted and lettered , u can see how the fade really makes it pop!

really love the crocodile rock one. looks great, are u based near allentown? I've seen a bunch of shows there, nice and small venue.

and if you mind, what did you get price-wise for that box office sign?

Hey Jerrycurlz, im about a 35 min. south of A-town.  honestly i forget what i charged, i did a bunch of other doors there to,so it was a package thing.... i guess for 2 of those logos 65-80$ off the top of my head,i forget how tall they were..looks like total amount of vinyl it used  was about 18''x24'',shadow and color....,and from cut to finish maybe 20 min. ,plus whatever for the install.. my pricing depends on the customer to! lol