jkittle99

Failed Installation - Suggestions?

I'm new to the game, but having a lot of fun. Please advise if this is not the correct forum.

I cut a large tribal pattern for the side of a car, with an installation spanning the door. I used greenstar vinyl (just getting started, my next order will be better stuff).  I used rapidtacII and used a wet installation method.  Installation on flat surfaces went fine, but we just couldn't get the 'wrap around the door edge' to take.  The vinyl feels really ridgid.  Is my adhesive too weak, is the vinyl just the wrong type, or do I need a better technique?

We even used blue tape on the crease overnight hoping to aid the bonding. No joy.  Now I'm at risk of losing the entire decal and having to re-do it.

Tips, hints, suggestions?

My opinion is you should be more patient LOL.

I don't have too much experience with the complex curves of cars, however if you have having problems with a calendared vinyl conforming, I would look into a cast vinyl.  They are thinner, and conform better to complex curves.

Now my question to other people is how do you get the transfer paper to conform to complex curves as well....any takers on that one?

I would say try some better vinyl. I personally don't like the green star but others seem too. I would take it off and order at least some 651.

Or how about super glue?

Cheaper vinyl is definitely going to be thicker than better vinyl.  As stated above, cast is preferable if you are going to be doing very tight radii and curves.

You could try sticking down the edge around the door as well as possible and using a Seal-it pen.

Practice is going to be what helps the most, though.

isn't there some kind of a spray adhesive you can purchase?  I think I have read that, from  people on the forum with the same problem.

different things happened......

Either the vinyl is too thick, I'm applied up to 5ml before on a curve, temperature needs to be right, nice and warm..... or use a heat gun... heat the vinyl to soften it then apply......

Door could of been still dirty, so the adhesion isn't sticking properly........ It's all in the prep work, prep prep prep..........

On the body panel you should be using a cast as Joe mentioned - it is thinner and made for this.  An oracal 751 or 951 would be preferable adn will do much better around the curves of a vehicle side.  The greenstar is more for widows and flatter surfaces.  It may shrink in time and may crack on a car body in the heat over time

On the body panel you should be using a cast as Joe mentioned - it is thinner and made for this.  An oracal 751 or 951 would be preferable adn will do much better around the curves of a vehicle side.  The greenstar is more for widows and flatter surfaces.  It may shrink in time and may crack on a car body in the heat over time

For wrapping around curves and such you need CAST vinyl. I wouldn't even use "greenstar" vinyl on a model airplane. I have never heard of it and getting started is no excuse not to go with a name brand. Oracal, Avery or 3M only here. I mean honestly, we are talking a few bucks difference.

For wrapping around curves and such you need CAST vinyl. I wouldn't even use "greenstar" vinyl on a model airplane. I have never heard of it and getting started is no excuse not to go with a name brand. Oracal, Avery or 3M only here. I mean honestly, we are talking a few bucks difference.

and when you break down that few bucks per roll it is less than a penny a cut probably!

Well it's a bit more than a few bucks ($14 a 10yd roll vs $42 a 10yd roll) but I take the point. I'm going to order some 751 and give it a whirl.  Is that going to do the trick, or do I really need to spring for 951 to pull this off?  We're talking only a quarter inch of vinyl that needs to wrap around the inside lip of the door edge.... I just ask myself "is that enough, or is it too short to even make work with 751?".

The tips are greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Learn how to apply DRY, once you've master is, you'll be all set.....

Naw you can do fine with 651 & 751.....

Well it's a bit more than a few bucks ($14 a 10yd roll vs $42 a 10yd roll) but I take the point. I'm going to order some 751 and give it a whirl.  Is that going to do the trick, or do I really need to spring for 951 to pull this off?  We're talking only a quarter inch of vinyl that needs to wrap around the inside lip of the door edge.... I just ask myself "is that enough, or is it too short to even make work with 751?".

The tips are greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Honestly, I know the price difference is "more than a few bucks" but why use some off the wall brand? Would you buy a car from someone who made it themselves and is a off the wall name? No you would buy a ford, honda, chevy, dodge etc cause they are known brands and you can have back up if you need to contact the manufacture lol

I have never heard anywhere that someone actually stated who was making the Greenstar,  actually they won't say,  BUT if you notice the color codes are the same for Greenstar and Oracal 651 color codes.   Greenstar just has a GS in front of the number code.  don't know if it means anything or not.  Just thought I would throw it in.  my  2c

example if you want Oracal 063 Lime Green  you can get Greenstar GS063 Lime tree green   Oracal Silver 090  Greenstar  GS090  Silver

and the same with the rest of the colors

I still wouldn't use 651 on painted body parts with compound curves - coparing greenstar vinyl to 751 in price is like comparing Detroit river water to spring water - apples and oranges - if you want it to last there is no comparison with  a thicker, harder calendared to a cast vinyl

I believe I have read somewhere that GS is the same as Shinerite, which is OK, at best. 

I would use 651 on vehicles with no qualms.  751 would be better, but only if absolutely necessary.  951 is overkill in 95% of cases, IMO.

Drakesis is right..you can warm the vinyl (SLIGHTLY) to make it conform better, but I think your problem is that the door jamb wasn't clean on the inside, or you didn't have enough vinyl wrapping around to get a good stick.

IMHO Even if its free... if it does not do the job you want, it is not a good deal. At this point you are gonna have to remove all of it and start over or cut the stripe short and leave it. Owners choice at this point. The door jambs are a pain and must be very clean before you start.

My buddy 'the customer' decided not to let me try the wrap-around edges and opped for a trim job this time... but I used the oracal on my car today with a wrap-around, and it worked really well. Particularly when combined with the edge sealing pen.  Very nice results. 

Now if I can only master 'getting rid of the teensy weensy bubbles' that are plaguing me, I'll be all set.  With practice comes skill, but thats another thread. Thanks to all on this one!

Now if I can only master 'getting rid of the teensy weensy bubbles' that are plaguing me, I'll be all set.  With practice comes skill, but thats another thread. Thanks to all on this one!

Diabetic testing supplies, the little needle for drawing the blood works great.