kyjeeper

Finally tried some etching

I've had my plotter for a few years but never thought about doing any etching until coming here.  Visited my brother this weekend and brought some cut vinyl with me (he has a blast cabinet, but I may be purchasing one soon now!) We got some Dollar Tree mugs and glasses, and then a $5 stainless water bottle from walmart.  We just used the media that he had in his blaster (called it Black Beauty?). Thought it turned out great for a first try.  The media we tested on some broken glass before we tried the stencils and it will def. eat through glass if left long enough and close enough.  

A couple questions:

1) I used some scrap 751 I had for the resist, it seemed to work fine, but was wondering if thats recommended or if I should use something specific?

2) What blasting media do you recommend/use?

Thanks for the great ideas I keep finding here!

Here's some pics!

post-7475-12986551808824_thumb.jpg

post-7475-1298655180947_thumb.jpg

post-7475-12986551809953_thumb.jpg

post-7475-1298655182166_thumb.jpg

post-7475-12986551821963_thumb.jpg

post-7475-12986551822242_thumb.jpg

Looks great - usually everyone uses scrap 651 for glassware blasting around here - cheaper than 751!

If using silica based product like sand make sure to wear a respirator

The etching looks great. I have been etching for awhile now and I use cheap 3 mil. vinyl (don't even know the name of it) and I etch at 30 pounds of pressure. I have never had the vinyl tear through and I sometimes cut pretty deep into the glass. I started etching with a small airbrush eraser and a blowup blasting cabinet. I have since moved onto a syphon cabinet, but still often come back to the air eraser for small jobs. Etching is addicting. Quadi

Guest kenya

Looks great..... the water bottle is an awesome idea !!  :thumbsup: