Sign in to follow this  
nenemott

need help on pricing this job

local barber shop wants an estimate on re-lettering this sign, what should I charge, how much is not too much? the bottom of the picture Italiano's

post-6940-12986551654485_thumb.jpg

post-6940-12986551654761_thumb.jpg

post-6940-12986551676627_thumb.jpg

post-6940-12986551676697_thumb.jpg

Need more information, such as are you using new Lexan or are you planning to attempt to take the old vinyl off the sign and replace it? Is there design work involved?

Guest Schramm

The entire thing or only the bottom?  In shop or on site?  New products or that beat up old stuff?  Also do you have to re-design it?  Need more information.

only the bottom where it says Italiano's, the sign is about 8 years old and it has shrinked and is peeling off, it is on both sides

Guest Schramm

Got one more question....

If SHAVING is back then why not a straight edge insted of a pair of scissors???  Just a question...

By the way I think that the layout and font use is very nice. 

I plan on using oracal calendar

Go with 751 cast or better and you won't regret it.  You notice the last guy isn't getting to redo the sign, right?

A couple of design suggestions... Spacing looks wrong between Barber and Shop... The scissors looks more like a hairstyling place's sign, and this place sounds like a traditional place... Shrinking down Italiano's and Shaving is Back! would let you center the Red letters and be a little more effective in long distance readability.

Also arch a line and see if you like it, three straight lines is a little plain.

Or not, if that is what the guy really wants.. :(

I got the barbershop from brandsoftheworld.com , and it came vectorized, plus the owner saw the print and loved it. He wants it in straight lines, he is old fashioned and likes people to know he does what most barbers don't do today.

I am not charging a lot because I want exposure so I can get more jobs, the barber shop is in a mall and hopefully other store owners will see my work.

I am also looking into channel lettering, I am also a jeweler, so cutting and bending are right down my alley

, but I am taking it one step at a time.

anyone who does channel letters, give me some hints

thanks

I already have it , but you are right, I will buy cast next time.  I looked at the price and it is not much more expensive.

I am just using the old sign, just replacing the letters.  I should be able to remove them and the substrate looks in good shape.

You will probably end up with shadows from the old lettering i would price using new faces unless your labor is really cheap, cleaning up the old faces can be very labor intensive .  You will just get a better job with new faces my supplier charges about 200.00 for 4x8 ft white  pan faces

Dan

You will probably end up with shadows from the old lettering i would price using new faces unless your labor is really cheap, cleaning up the old faces can be very labor intensive .  You will just get a better job with new faces my supplier charges about 200.00 for 4x8 ft white  pan faces

Dan

Who is your supplier?

Guest Schramm

I hate to tell you this but stealing things from Brands of the World on a US company especially MGM is NUTS!  You will get sued by MGM, the owner will loose his sign and you could get a $10K fine!  There are so many font companies out there and so many vector sites that you can buy images more appropriate for an old fashion sign.  

You came here and asked how much to charge and then say that you are not charging that much because you need exposure.  Signs are signs, they may get the right person exposure but unless your company name and number is on his sign somewhere I would never give a break.  Design your own stuff, go to istockphoto.com and find images and if you want old school barbershop fonts go to Letterheadfonts.com, you will have to pay upward $40-65 per font but that is what this business is all about if you want to be unique.

I have said this before here...  Changing someone elses design even 30% doesnt not make it yours.  I re-do things all the time from before there was copywrites and there is no law against that - much like my Titanic images.  I use actual photos and re-create it, but with that there is no copywrites.  Just going into Brands of the world and stealing a design.......hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... not a good ethical business practice, admitting it on an open forum "priceless"!

$100 and I will design it for you, the right way with paid for images and old school fonts.

I saw the sign up close and the letters are practically falling off, and I am doing it on site, so I will use some cleaning fluid I have for glue.  I will go there tomorrow and see how hard it is.  And yes who is your supplier, it is an 8'x3'

As to the brand name I will make one a little different. I am good with coreldraw, let me see what I can cook up.

Yes he is letting me put my name and phone at the bottom.  And thanks, I will make a different design.

Guest Schramm

I dont know how long that took to make and it did come out nice, however for $10 you can just go to istockphoto.com and get something like this:

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-illustration-7030733-barbershop-illustration.php

That package has all the elements that you need, is already vectorized, and is easy to add to your design.  Just thought this may be helpful as many people do not have a clue that this service exsists.

Thank you Schramm, I took your advice and made a new design with a razor, tell me what you think and everyone else.

post-6940-12986551668888_thumb.jpg

post-6940-12986551686113_thumb.jpg

I dont know how long that took to make and it did come out nice, however for $10 you can just go to istockphoto.com and get something like this:

http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-illustration-7030733-barbershop-illustration.php

That package has all the elements that you need, is already vectorized, and is easy to add to your design.  Just thought this may be helpful as many people do not have a clue that this service exsists.

your are right i idn't know that you can get packages from there. thanks

Guest Schramm

Honestly I would spend the money on the istockphoto design and use the pole on the left and the razor from that collection on the right.  I would give him a entirely new design otherwise you are not doing anything that special.  Not meaning that it would not look good, but 1/2 the challange of doing quality work is daring to see something in a persons business that the person might not ever dream of.  Basically all you are giving him is what he already has.  If you ask me he is asking you to make people driving past to know in a special way that he does something that is not commonly offered.  Your job is to bring that message to light.  If you feel that what you have done is enough then leave well enough alone but IMO take it the extra mile!

Using the razor as a tail on the R just doesn't do it for me...Try a razor on either end of Shaving is Back...or a shaving mug on one end and a razor on the other... And a red razor is a really bad thing for a barber, if ya think about it.. try black instead, or even a chrome blade and black or other color handle.

Centering the text will help as well, as would making your main text noticeably larger...You want the first thing a customer reads as the sign comes into view to be BARBER SHOP ...THen ITALIANO's BARBER SHOP......finally reading shaving is back when closer to the sign.

Just my opinions....take it for what it cost ya....lol..  :thumbsup: