BannerJohn

my version of the big sqeegee

Ok,so I broke down and bought the smallest BS they had..the 14". I think it was around $30 with shipping. It works great! No more wet on corplast for me! Anyhow, I got to looking at the prices for the bigger ones,and looking at the one I had..and thought' what's so special about it? that it should be $60?

So I went to harbor freight, spent $3 for the 24" trim guard...put some felt on the edge,covered it with cotton first aid tape..and BINGO! It works easily as good as my genuine BS. Honest..I wouldn't kid you.

Total cost about $4. It's nice and rigid, doesn't flex.

post-249-12986550416403_thumb.jpg

post-249-12986550429476_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

this is a new and improved version...made once I had the real thing to examine.

I did 20 double sided coro the other day...6 minutes per side and that was doing 5 lines of text,one at a time. In the past, without this tool, I was doing one side in 20 minutes.IF I was lucky. And not a single bubble dry.

Guest fivestar

Great info John......I am going to be making me some of them in different sizes.

this is a new and improved version...made once I had the real thing to examine

So when do they go on sale and how much?

this is a new and improved version...made once I had the real thing to examine

So when do they go on sale and how much?

no sales...sorry. You're on your own. I have enough to do already

Very cool John!! I actually have one of those right now!!! I think Im going to have to get it out of the garage and fix it up!!

Guest manwayvan

Hey banner do you have a SKU or any other number I might be able to order it with from harbor freight. Cant seem to locate it on the site(probably a speciality item in stores) and would like to build me one.

Banner, very creative. How much handle do you have to hold on to? Is it a metal blade underneath the felt?  :rolleyes:

it's about 3.5 inches, the flat area across the top before it slants is 12"..plenty to hold on to. Like I said, I used it,and it works. There is a metal blade,sticks out about 1/3 inch. It came with a plastic blade cover, which I left ON to give it a good lip, like the genuine BS has.

Hey banner do you have a SKU or any other number I might be able to order it with from harbor freight. Cant seem to locate it on the site(probably a speciality item in stores) and would like to build me one.

the item # is 96301, but they don't show it on the website. The closest they have is:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95733

They only had a few left, if you can't find one locally, PM me and I'll pick one up for you. With shipping to you in KY, it would be $8 priority mail.

That is a standard paint department hardware store item, should be in stock at any Home Depot, Menards or Lowes, altho at a  lil higher price than HF. Heck, might even find one in a pawn shop.

John, I would be curious as to exactly how you use the big squeegie on coro dry to avoid bubbles...I've been plagued by air bubbles lately, partly cuz I haven't built my app tape roller setup and usually mess up there and get wrinkles..  Any hints to share? 

I hinge it at one end...bring it back over itself,remove the backing paper and gently use the squeegee to apply one end to the other. The trick is not TOO MUCH pressure. Just enough to get it down. Then squeegee well before removing the app tape.

Pretty much like this except when I do one line at a time, I remove the backing paper first:

Just a note. I didn't expect it to work...but it does.

And to think I had that darn thing in my hands Saturday and was going to buy it and try that exact thing.  Wasn't sure on the metal blade though.  Glad to know it works John, thanks for the post!

Guest kenya

I bought the same one at Harbor Freight 3 weeks ago.

I just use it to apply my app tape to the vinyl.

It only cost $2.88.

What a great deal!

John, I would be curious as to exactly how you use the big squeegie on coro dry to avoid bubbles...I've been plagued by air bubbles lately, partly cuz I haven't built my app tape roller setup and usually mess up there and get wrinkles..  Any hints to share?

Johns darkmatch big squeegee or the original one will eliminate the need for an app tape roller, I blew my brains out having a legitimate Big Squeegee shipped up here to Canada and after brokering and shipping was about 100 bucks, but it was worth it at the time because it makes applying app tape so easy its not even funny. There are videos on Youtube on how to use it to apply app tape, but basically you just push the roll across the vinyl with the leading edge of the BS at about a 20 degree angle with your hand in the middle of the squeegee, ( NOT THE SIDES) with id say medium to slightly more than medium pressure and it lays it out completely wrinkle and bubble free. Hardest part for me is lining up the app tape to lay down straight onto the vinyl, Im usually floating left or right a quarter inch per foot or so.

After watching some of the videos, if i was doing this more id have to get myself one...

Very cool John!  Thanks for posting, looks like I'll be making a trip to HF tomorrow:)

Wow that looks so easy. I am sure I would find away to screw it up..haha Does it work as good on banners?

Booper I have the same problem!

Thank you,

Christi

That would be so great. I have done a few banners and that would be so helpful for the big pieces. I haven't done any signs yet :rolleyes: I will have to check out Menards. Unfotuniatly there isn't much around me.

John I have a banner question for you. Do you do any banners for graduations and if so what type of banner do you do? I have been looking for thinner/cheaper stuff since it will just be up for the day but have had no luck.

Thank You,

Christi