Sign in to follow this  
lwsimon

Finishing decals - rotary/guillotine trimmers?

I'm looking to begin packaging some of my decals for sale at local convenience stores and a flea market --- what do you guys use to dress things up for a retail setting?

I once worked for a printers', and we had a nice Rotatrim rotary trimmer.  That would be ideal, I think, but they are very expensive - up to about a $1,000 for a 24" trimmer.  There are less expensive options, and I can pick up a Dahle 12" or 18" trimmer for under $100.

What do you guys use to square the edges of RTA decals, and what experiences have you had with various trimmer types?

I've been cutting decals apart by hand for 4 years now. Honestly even $1,000 for a big 24" trimmer isn't expensive if your going to be using it alot.

Even with my hand it's not too far off since i been doing it so much, I'd like to get a trimmer but since getting my print/cut machine there isn't much more room where I'm at currently.

I bought a 16" x 20" guillotine cutter off of eBay. It was about $30. It works great for cutting apart decals and squaring off edges.

Jay

Staples has a few different guillotine cutters, I bought a 12" one and it has been well worth the cost, it is SO much faster than cutting by hand and you get perfect lines every time.

Yea I got one from Harbor Freight. I also bought some 6"x9" plastic bags with adhesive strip on the bottom to close them off ebay for like $10 for 500. You can print some hang tags for the top on cardstock with just about any printer and trim them too.

definitely love the rotary cutters!  This is my latest one I got for 200 shipped on ebay

BfZU18BGkKGrHqEH-DsEreR0u9tuBLBFmMF.jpg

I have a 12"x12" from Harbor Freight.  It has done the job although it's a little small for some things.

so did I. Then I got a much bigger one..ended up giving it away. It took up too much room,and I used it so little. Now anything the 12x12 won't handle, I use a 24" square and a nice sharp blade. I think I got the cutter at Harbor Freight on sale for under $20.

I have 2 guillotine cutters.  One large and one small plastic one that is very light and cuts really well.  I use this one the most.  I picked the large one up from a school sale for a buck!  And the other I picked up at a garage sale for like 3 bucks.  :(

Had been using an old guillotine (12x15) for years... but I have to say, my new rotary (12x12) is a lot nicer, I do a lot of smaller decals, easier to line up with the rotary. But lots of time, I still rely on my straight edge and exacto knife.

I have been using one of these for years. I think I got it from Office Depot.

large.jpg

It is 24" wide and trims masked vinyl very well. Good blade life also.

http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/tools/t_24-rotary-paper-trimmer.aspx

Have fun,

Jon

I use a Fiskars rotary from Walmart like above only 17" like $30. The blade sharpener for the rotary blades are also a good investment. I have not bought a blade for it in 2 years.

I have been using one of these for years. I think I got it from Office Depot.

large.jpg

It is 24" wide and trims masked vinyl very well. Good blade life also.

http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/tools/t_24-rotary-paper-trimmer.aspx

Have fun,

Jon

I use a Fiskars rotary from Walmart like above only 17" like $30. The blade sharpener for the rotary blades are also a good investment. I have not bought a blade for it in 2 years.

Same here, I just picked up 2- 24" Fiskars rotary cutters at walmart for $15 on clearance. They work great

I was going to start a new post about the same thing till I seen this one. I think this post could use a update. I'm going to pick this one up tomorrow and see how good it is. I will post back on my new find. I would have never thought of harbor freight even though I go to the store all the time for tools. I hope they stock it.

How good are the ones off ebay? they look just like the harbor freight one.

Well I got it and I must say its very nice and the price is even better. Im so glad I found this post.. :)