Sign in to follow this  
ryan8281

another sign i done

Looks great, and also wondering what kind of vinyl

One, thing though, the kerning seems a bit too close. Almost like you ran out of room and had to just fit the words in some how.

Oracal 651 i used. If you look at the other napa signs like this they look the same. But it does look like it should be spaced out alittle.

That looks to be Exactly how all NAPA logo signs are, Good job. ;D

Maders finicky when it comes to "kerning", you really gotta work on that a little Mader! :P;D

Just 651 huh? I thought signs like that would call for a Translucent Vinyl no?

Or at least 751?

With all the discussion about trademarked stuff lately.....How did you deal with any authorization to use NAPA's logo...? (remember the dewalt thread??)  Just curious as I'm sure this pops up a bunch and I bet NAPA could have said ...the stores only can buy NAPA signs from us,  if you make money selling our Logo you owe us.......

This is the only thing about the sign biz that scares me... lawyers and corporate beancounters stink.

Nice job on the sign... looks like a real NAPA sign to me.. ;D.

You did a great job ;D

I would have thought translucent as well? Does the light show through at night? Or does the logo look pretty dark?

It looks like a face for a Napa store or franchise therefore no copyright issues . we usually use translucent for backlit signage but 651 will work and look fine. Nice job by the way

Dan

Take a photo of the sign lit up, curious to how the light shines through 651

That looks to be Exactly how all NAPA logo signs are, Good job. ;D

Maders finicky when it comes to "kerning", you really gotta work on that a little Mader! :P;D

Just 651 huh? I thought signs like that would call for a Translucent Vinyl no?

Or at least 751?

I'm just trying to help is all. It looks great, but just want to help him perfect it.

When your dealing with major companies there are certain guidelines to follow. I've worked with National City Banks before and they had "rules" about using their logo. As far as colors, spacing around the logo, the colors around the logo, sizes, etc.

I was just suggesting that the Kerning was a bit too close, I didn't mean any harm to it at all. I'm just trying to help some people out.

But when I see a real Napa sign, it's not so much the kerning now that I look at it, it's the tracking of the font. It's too much on the negative side.

Here's what i'm talking about. Just trying to help mind you.

autocare.jpg

Mader it is OK i didn't take it the wrong way i understand where you are coming from ;D. I'm going to put it up tonight so i will get some pics of it to post. And now that you guys are talking about trans vinyl i have my fingers crossed that this 651 will look OK.

I'm thinking the yellow will look fine, i'm hoping the blue lets enough light through it. Do you know what bulbs are being used to light it?

I was just kidding ya Mader.

The Napa down the street has the letters all scrunched up, so it looked fine to me.

I do know what you are saying about Company Logos and certain Rules/Guidelines you MUST follow.  ;D

We have done some with 651  and shows up well i dont rember about blue it is a hard color to light. I  almost always use daylight just a few colors that i will use coolwhite with . I think Ryans will look fine

Dan

OK here it is lit up.. Now you can see where my lines are off.. DANG IT!! They still loved it. Now i have another one to do. For the ones wanting to know about the usage of cutting a corporate logo, its OK my inlaws own the Napa here. ;D Be nice to me about the lines being off :'( Im not to happy about it neither.. lol

post-1346-12986548481337_thumb.jpg

post-1346-12986548493076_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look too bad. Maybe translucent vinyl and kinda what Mader was saying, but nice job and good for you for posting the finished product! I love Napa!

If you have to redo it, now is the chance to try the translucent out. Adjust the tracking a bit and your golden! Keep your head up, mistakes only allow you to learn!

Great job and keep it up.