Sign in to follow this  
killerdecals

Won't cut long decals HELP!!

I am trying to cut a phone number 12" high by 90" long on 15" vinyl but when I go to cut and it starts to prefeed it keeps moving left right to the other side of the maching rather then stopping at 12". Any Ideas?

maybe put up some screen shots of your layout screen before sending to cut,  we cannot see what you are doing ,  just by you saying so..     Show it.. layout screen  set up screen, 

maybe put up some screen shots of your layout screen before sending to cut,  we cannot see what you are doing ,  just by you saying so..     Show it..

It's just a customers phone number so I am not going to put a customers phone number on here. I have my work area set to 24" tall by 96" long and the 11 digit number 1-715-625-4785 and the number size is 12" high by 90" long.  This should be an easy cut but for some reason it doesn't like the length. I tried it at 5" and no problems but longer it does not like.

maybe put up some screen shots of your layout screen before sending to cut,  we cannot see what you are doing ,  just by you saying so..     Show it..

It's just a customers phone number so I am not going to put a customers phone number on here. I have my work area set to 24" tall by 96" long and the 11 digit number 1-715-625-4785 and the number size is 12" high by 90" long.  This should be an easy cut but for some reason it doesn't like the length. I tried it at 5" and no problems but longer it does not like.

does it matter if you use usb or serial for long cuts?

it can affect it.. also static.    does the CUTTING SIZE CORRECTIOn    in set up match each other    OUTPUT SIZE CORRECTION,    measured size,  expected size? 

it can affect it.. also static.    does the CUTTING SIZE CORRECTIOn     in set up match each other    OUTPUT SIZE CORRECTION,    measured size,  expected size? 

I have them both at 15" by 120"

it can affect it.. also static.    does the CUTTING SIZE CORRECTIOn     in set up match each other    OUTPUT SIZE CORRECTION,    measured size,  expected size? 

I have them both at 15" by 120"

With something this long and only a foot high the vinyl should be feeding much faster then the cutter head during the prefeed but the cutter head is moving almost just as fast so the cutter head is off the vinyl at about 40" of prefed vinyl. Is any of this making sense or am I being confusing? lol

Don't cut it all at once, do half or a third at least you should be able to get it done.

I want to find out why this is doing this. It is only 12" high I shouldn't have to tile and piece it together it should be a pretty easy run for the machine.

ah I see, just a suggestion to get the job done. cant help you on the other don't have that machine best of luck!

Have you made sure to set your Origin?  If it's not set, the blade will want to move to to Origin point first before it starts any cuts.  Happens after it gets to the other side of the cutter?  Does it hit the red kill switch button?

It's just a customers phone number so I am not going to put a customers phone number on here. I have my work area set to 24" tall by 96" long and the 11 digit number 1-715-625-4785and the number size is 12" high by 90" long.  This should be an easy cut but for some reason it doesn't like the length. I tried it at 5" and no problems but longer it does not like.

Just to make sure ...Is that a fictious # or the # you did not want to put on here ? I'll delete this post if it is the actual # .

Have you made sure to set your Origin?  If it's not set, the blade will want to move to to Origin point first before it starts any cuts.  Happens after it gets to the other side of the cutter?  Does it hit the red kill switch button?

yes I make sure the Origin is set. Their is no kill switch on the other side so it will move all the way across until it hits the other side then starts making a horrific noise then starts coming back the other direction. Very weird why it does this. I don't understand why normal lengths are fine but does this with longer lengths. Thanks

It's just a customers phone number so I am not going to put a customers phone number on here. I have my work area set to 24" tall by 96" long and the 11 digit number 1-715-625-4785and the number size is 12" high by 90" long.  This should be an easy cut but for some reason it doesn't like the length. I tried it at 5" and no problems but longer it does not like.

Just to make sure ...Is that a fictious # or the # you did not want to put on here ? I'll delete this post if it is the actual # .

lol yes this is a made up number thanks

I see.  Does this happen on every image you try to cut?  Or just this particular one?  If this is the only one it's happening to, it might be something that's on the image we're not seeing.  Let me know how that turns out.  And what cutting software are you using?  If you're using SignCut, try cutting that default logo.

Just to make sure ...Is that a fictitious # or the # you did not want to put on here ? I'll delete this post if it is the actual # .

lol yes this is a made up number thanks

Good  :) , I thought it was humorous & glad you do also . I also know I have made blunders like that from concentrating 2 much .

In the cutter screen make sure the x,y values are small or your borders will be off

That would only matter for more then one copies correct? It's not even checked for one copy. Thanks

In the cutter screen make sure the x,y values are small or your borders will be off

Lueman, I am having a similar problem with a design.  I am trying to cut lighting bolts for a J3 Piper Cub RC plane.  I drew, duplicated it, and mirrored the first drawing so the decal on the opposite side of the airplane would look the same.  I managed to cub one but the other stops half way through the cutting.  The error message on the cutter mentions move x/y.  In the forum you attached the screen shot that appears before cutting, should the x/y values be low so the designs are closer together in order to cut?  Attached is a pic of project.  Total width is 1.5" X 38" long.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

post-4722-1298654660314_thumb.jpg

post-4722-12986546623995_thumb.jpg

To be honest I've never had problems cutting long designs. I feed my vinyl while the LP is off line then I feed it back to origin so that on a 120" design I feed out 125" of vinyl then feed back to origin. The reason I do that is to make sure my rollers are lined up right and to preset the tension (if I get tenting I usually release the left roller and reset it.) Also I go ahead and run the cut with the plotter off-line Not sure why but it seems to preset the buffer to handle a large design, there no science here just my observation. Once I'm sure there's nothing that'll obstruct the run I go ahead and put the machine on-line and cut. There is a quirk in SB the Offsets go crazy sometimes and they will affect the cut border even when only running one design so yes I keep them as low as possible usually .10 to .20 mm (1/8 to 1/16") also watch out for the auto prefered option if you choose this method, you have less control of the vinyl, and I check off "best tracking" when doing long lengths.

I have had the same proble with my 50" refine. When ever I try and cut an eight foot banner it goes crazy and runs into the other side and makes that bad noise!. So I just cut half the banner at a time. I am using a 15 or 20 foot usb cable though. I'd like to run a serial cable just need to find me a long one.

Any thoughts. Is the long usb cable a bad thing?