Sign in to follow this  
SSW

Don't "Wing It" on Pricing.

Lol, I just low balled myself accidently.  I was under pressure and told them a price.

They asked for 2 double sided 3' x 8' banners.

I said $240!!! For both!!!  :thumbsup:

Well, live and learn I guess.

I should of told them I'll figured it up and call them back.  But I was nervous.  It was my first banner bid.  I choked.  :'(

I should of been around 300 for both.  And i'm sure they would of been happy with that, because after we talked about what they wanted they said they had gotten a quote for 195 a piece!

Yea, and it was for a local community college.  So I hope they're a repeat customer.  :thumbsup:

Yeah wing it pricing never works.

Oh well, just a lesson to learn and if they are a repeat customer they will expect more banners at the same price. Just a FYI  :thumbsup:

Yea, I know.  ;D

Sorry to say but you'll be alright.

It's happened to us all. We all grow and learn from our business mistakes.

You could however get it digitally printed from a wholesaler and make more on the job on your end  :thumbsup:

I've already ordered the banners.

But I might do that next time.  :-

I've already ordered the banners.

But I might do that next time.  :-

Should be able to send them back, i wouldn't see why not.

let's see.. most places don't refund shipping on returns..and you pay shipping back...plus (most places) a restocking fee. To me that adds up to more trouble than it's worth.

let's see.. most places don't refund shipping on returns..and you pay shipping back...plus (most places) a restocking fee. To me that adds up to more trouble than it's worth.

My supplier is 2 hours away so I'm used to free shipping and no restocking fee  :thumbsup:

you are lucky that your supplier is the exception rather than the rule.

Guest manwayvan

Holy cow I have been cuttin my throat on Banners..I done a 2x6 for 80.00..I had it left over from another order and thought I was doing good..But I guess thats all that really matters but I dont think that pricing in this area is that high for banners, I maybe wrong.

lol I'd be real happy to get $80 for a 2x6. That's a $50-60 banner around here.

lol I'd be real happy to get $80 for a 2x6. That's a $50-60 banner around here.

Yup, I just did a quote for a 2x4 2 color banner, $60

I think you did the correct thing in answering them right then & giving a price ( If you left some money on the table , that is ok.. it will be a learning experience for pricing & pressure situations  :o ) . I don't like it when I have to wait for prices on basic things & have to be called back . At least give them a ballpark price . I know many people who would have lost MUCH if not all interest if you had told them you had to get back with them to determine a price , that shows inexperience IMO . Everybody develops business characteristics & that will be more of a factor in your customers & potential customers choice in using you than price .  :o

i get $25 shipped for a 2x4 banner...oh wait thats wholesale...lol      $60 is great. i can get about 40-45 around here

i get $25 shipped for a 2x4 banner...oh wait thats wholesale...lol      $60 is great. i can get about 40-45 around here

I'd do 2x4 all day long for $25. My actual cost including the blank banner, vinyl,tape,etc..is about $7 and I can do one in about 15 minutes.

I think you did the correct thing in answering them right then & giving a price ( If you left some money on the table , that is ok.. it will be a learning experience for pricing & pressure situations  :o ) . I don't like it when I have to wait for prices on basic things & have to be called back . At least give them a ballpark price . I know many people who would have lost MUCH if not all interest if you had told them you had to get back with them to determine a price , that shows inexperience IMO . Everybody develops business characteristics & that will be more of a factor in your customers & potential customers choice in using you than price .  :o

I agree 100%. After 30 years in the upholstery biz..I could look at a sofa or chair and know exactly how much fabric it would take and how much labor. People want a price...not to watch you sit and figure on a piece of paper for 10 minutes..they either think you don't have enough experience to give a quote or are trying to figure a way to jack up the price. My experience is what makes it possible to give a price on the spot..and experience is what people want. If you have to use a 'price calculator' you haven't had anough experience in the biz. I know exactly what things cost..in my head.

In short..if you don't have the experience to quote a simple banner in your head...you sure as hell don't want the customer to know that. If any doubt, quote high...you can always come down and if they go for it, you will have padded your profit.

Myself and others generally just figure $5 a square foot..bump it up a dollar if it is complicated.

Well, at $5 sq ft, I priced it just right.  But they are double sided...so I probably should of gone 6 a sq foot. 

I told the customer $60 on the banner and they were thrilled!

Its some what of a complex design, has two different colors and all.  Wish I could knock it out in 15mins. Lol.  Hell I wish I could knock out a normall 2x4 banner in 15 mins.

Well, at $5 sq ft, I priced it just right.  But they are double sided...so I probably should of gone 6 a sq foot. 

I told the customer $60 on the banner and they were thrilled!

Its some what of a complex design, has two different colors and all.  Wish I could knock it out in 15mins. Lol.  Hell I wish I could knock out a normall 2x4 banner in 15 mins.

Don't worry, some day you will..I wasn't always that fast. 800 or so banners/coroplast a year has made me that way.

Simple rule..for double sided..I figure $5 sq ft for the first side, then 50% of that for the second side.

2x4.. $40 for one side..$60 for double sided. I don't worry about complicated..that just makes it fun and takes away the boredome. I get enough quickies to make it all balance out.

Nothing beats experience  :o . Getting a good work space set up is a major benefit .  

Nothing beats experience  :o . Getting a good work space set up is a major benefit .  

and even if you don't have the experience, you NEVER,EVER want the customer to know it.

It has been an unwritten rule for us to charge about $8 a sq ft. when you can't come-up with a quick price. Lets see....3x8 is 24 times 8  $192 and that's for one side. For the business, I would give them a great discount for the other side. You did good and you made a profit and made a friend and a permanent customer.

TUBA