Just curious to know how many of you out there accept bartering, or even initiate bartering for your time/service/materials/etc.

I know that the economy is hurting for a lot of people, and cash is king, but are you finding that you need to barter more, or get more requests for bartering?

I personally suck when it comes to billing my customers ... this is why I will never be filthy rich (but that's a whole other issue), but find that it's almost more beneficial for me to barter for other services or products - especially in these hard times.

And on a totally fun tangent - What was the best (either monetarily or pure fun) bartering deal you ever made?

I have done some bartering. I did some vinyl for a guy at work on his suv. I did his company info on the back and side windows. Along with 2 magnets for another car. He is doing a vinyl rack like pitkins design and a 4x8 work table with a light box built in.

I also suck when it comes to billing! Right now I am bartering with a customer, he came in and ordered 15.00 worth of stick people for his wifes vehicle, we got to talking, turns out he is a roofer and I need a roof put on my house and have a 150 yr old oak tree right beside it, well there is a huge limb that hangs over the width of the house. My roof is only 4 yrs old but the material that is used is called enduro ( it comes in large sheets) it is molded kinda wavy material with valleys. well the valleys are all clogged up with leaves, acorns etc so the water backs up and my roof is leaking in 2 places. This material that the roof is made out of gets fragile when its cold outside or extremely hot. you can not walk on it. so basically fall and early spring is the only time you can work on it. well I got an estimate of 6,000 to replace the roof about a month ago. (I have a wrap around porch, it wraps around the front, side and the complete back so I have 2 roofs plus a few dormer windows.) He climbed up there the other day and said I had a good roof and it didnt need replacing. I needed to have the tree limb cut down and the valleys cleaned out and some kind of sealant put on it. Turns out he just got layed off from his job ( big surprise, I'm saying that with sarcasm) and will do the cutting of the tree limb, and clean the valleys out for 300.00 and I'm going to do his business cards, flyers, and a couple of tshirts) then he is going to seal my roof for me. price undetermined. This sealant stuff costs 51.00 a bucket. Still cheaper than a new roof!

I like to barter with businesses. When it comes to the average person not many people have a service to offer that I can't do myself. So cash is King then.

Dave

I have not bartered with vinyl signs , but I did just trade a Mobile Home I got paid to remove for a 1974 Kawasaki H1 . I have wanted 1 of those for quite some time . VERY noisey 3 cyl 2 stroke street bike that makes ALOT of smoke . I have 3 more Mobile Homes that I have to take to my farm in West Virginia unless I sell or barter them off :thumbsup:  :)

I've bartered one time and that's because it was beneficial to my business on the advertising end.

I'm in the business to make money and help my customers make money  :thumbsup:

You might be missing the bartering system rewards . Dodges Uncle Sam's % , many times you get multiple value ex; instead of getting $50 , you get $100 worth of something you can use or want . I have made 3 times the money sometimes by selling what I traded for .

You might be missing the bartering system rewards . Dodges Uncle Sam's % , many times you get multiple value ex; instead of getting $50 , you get $100 worth of something you can use or want . I have made 3 times the money sometimes by selling what I traded for .

Eh i'm not worried about it lol

Eh , that might be part of the reason some do better when things get tough & why some do worse & then think about quitting lol .

Every time I put something on Craigslist for sale , I say " will trade " . I have always wound up with more money than what I wanted to sell the original thing for & it is fun .

Lettered a tree trimmer's truck and chippers in exchange for cutting down a BIG-ass dying tree at my house.  Probably would have cost me $1500 to get it cut down and hauled off, and I traded for approx $30 in vinyl and 2 hours installation time.

Yeah i guess so, but i'm still here so come get some low ballers  :thumbsup:

Traded 7 small decals for the new spare tire for the enclosed trailer - worked out well for both of us

I tried that. LOL  I made several totes /monogram for a friend of my step daughter, for a webpage & the webpage sits unfinished with only the first page 1/2 done & now her computer is not working(so she says). I purchased a webpage from someone on esty & I can't figure it out. So I am out the cost of 2 totes (35 each).  I am not sure I will barter in the future.  LOL

Peggy

Getting what you bartered for is a biggy , just like getting paid in cash .  :thumbsup:

Getting what you bartered for is a biggy , just like getting paid in cash .  :thumbsup:

That is the hard part, making sure that you collect either the cash or the product/service that you bartered for.

I like bartering since there are a LOT of things that I don't have, or don't know how to do. In those cases, I find that others are willing to put more time and effort to barter for what I usually offer ... which happens to be a wide range of things. A lot of the stuff that I barter aren't for me in the end (i.e. computer repair for massages for family members, website for accounting services, etc.).

I don't always benefit from it in the end, but I usually make a great contact, and it expands my potential business network.

Hey MMA Gal  :) ,

I do the same thing  :)

Hahahaha. I actually considered trading website services for an unlimited membership to the ICON Sports MMA training center/gym. Good thing I was too busy when they were in need ... being as the guy sold the gym and it's now non-existent. Hahahaha. That would've really, really sucked.

I'm glad you didn't get stuck  :) . I let a guy take a front end off a truck because he had fallen into hard time ( I knew he wwas popping prescrip pills more than the Doctor ordered ) He went swimming and had a stroke/heart attack & didn't make it . No matter what . a business takes a hit once in a while ... cash or bartering  .

Bartering is great, soon I think it will be the norm over the US dollar anyway. I did a reds logo for a buddy and since he too is a poor college student I got a case of Miller High Life and a 6 pack of Budweiser! I have also done yard work for bartering in fact thats how I got my first truck  I worked for my neighbor for 3 summers taking care of his yard and landscaping and he gave me a 1985 Ranger + about 100 bucks every other week (not bad for being 15 eh?)

6 or 8 years ago I bartered helping a guy unload a trailer full of stuff for an auction for two black photography briefcases. I wanted them to haul my cords and pedals for my keyboards that I play in a band. they are about $40 ea new.

Anyway, the cases had an old beta camcorder and a bunch of accessories in them. I parted them out on E-bay and made $1570 from the stuff in them and still kept the cases.

Kevin

I am trading art-services for printed decals with a user here. Good trade I think and I am happy to do it.