tankgirlwa

I MUST do this!

Ok Im sure you all get tired of newbie questions. But I have been hand painting signs and wall art for awhile now. I have recently been asked to design banners and even artwork for the gas tank of a Harley. I know that a vinyl cutter is something that would greatly add to my abilities and cut down a little on the hand painting Im doing.

I would really love some advice on the type/brand of cutter to buy. Im hoping to keep it under a grand to start, but Id like to go big enough to really get my feet wet in this art form!

Im also looking for advice on software and any other websites that may be helpful.

If all of this has been answered already Id love if someone would just point me to the existing thread :thumbsup:

A million thanks! There is SO much talent on this site! I am just giddy!

I would go with a 24" either PCut or Refine cutter from USCutter. I think either would be large enough to do what you need. As for software I really like the fully functional trial SignBlazer that comes free with these cutters. I think it is the easiest to learn and has more functionality than other software that you will pay much more for. Others on the forum swear by Flexi. It is another option and the beginner version is around $99. Get some vinyl, transfer tape and a few tools and you should have no problem getting in well under $1000. I own the PCUt and with my first vinyl and transfer tape I think it was around $600 delivered.

Jay

Hi and welcome from Chicago. You can get plenty of cutters that are great for under a grand. I have a Pcut 630 and it is a very nice cutter.

Dave

I am also new to the cutter world and own a Pcut. It has been great. I got mine from USCutter on ebay for $300. For approx $600 you can have a nice cutter, and a ton of vinyl and supplies!! USCutter has a great deal of $9.99 shipping so you could get your cutter and alot of vinyl along with some app tape for a steal with the shipping!!

For App tape I would recommend atleast a 8" roll and maybe a larger roll also if you will be doing larger images

Thank you all so much for the advice! I am shopping now! Thanks Jay for the advice about size and the software.

Im anxious to get started. Im a little worried about shipping since I am military overseas in Germany, but worse case scenario I can ship it to a friend in the US and then reship it. It will cost but I think I can make the money back!

Im so excited!

p-cut i got is also a good cutter

good luck soldier and thanks for fighting to keep the USA a FREE country !  :thumbsup:

+ 1 with what Jay posted . ESPECIALLY about SignBlazer !!!  :D The added benefit is that Jay is an EXPERT with SignBlazer & is as generous with his time - advice & help as anybody I have ever came into contact with . Jay in 2012  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Guest kenya

Welcome tankgirl.

I've owned both the 24" pcut & refine........ great cutters, you can't go wrong with either one.

And absolutely, Signblazer is a great program.  :thumbsup:

Welcome    i have a pcut it is a good machine i haven't had it long but  others on the forum they have had them quite a while and have good things to say about them. check ebay and be patient and you can get one very reasonable but if your impatient order from the web site still one of the best buys around.  us cutter also handles co-pam and graphtec at great prices

Dan