Sign in to follow this  
n_ikkon

Can not open the output device. Error initializing cutter

Hi, I am fairly new with my MH-721. I have it connected via USB using WinXP. I received it yesterday and configured it. I was actually able to cut 3 graphics yesterday (thanks to the posts from here), but today when I tried to use it, I keep getting a pop up window that says "Can not open the output device. Error initializing cutter"

I verified the settings and everything is like it was yesterday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Settings do change by themselves it seems . if you have made sure each & every setting is what you had yesterday , the usb connection or the cable itself might be bad . Did anything pull the cable ?  ;D

My guess would be a loose connection ( common in usb according to some here  ) or the cable has a intermitten problem . It would not hurt to have another cable . Cables are available on E-bay for under $10 shipped , there is a thread going with a link for the serial to usb cable .

listen i had this problem and it really freaked me out. its not cables or computer or anything.

when you get your design finished, of course go to "CUTTER", then "CUT" then "CUT TILE" (in the pop up box) and it will say your "can not open the output device, Error initialzing the cutter"

alright?

click okay.

go to "SETUP" (at the top)

in the pop up box, go to the second choice, called "output Device"

you're going to see a bunch of choices. Look specifically at the ones labeled Blazer.COM_

the "_" being a number.

each on is a open USB ports in your computer.

you're looking for the one label Blazer.COM_USB Serial Port.

that is the port that is reading that your cutter is plugged into.

In other words, the computer was reading the wrong USB port and was confused because it didn't know where the cutter was, and you just have to point it in the right direction.

-Sawmill Graphics and Pinstripes.

Tiny ,

Interesting , the OP said it was working , then would not work & then started working again . I didn't think the com setting would do that  ;) . Something intermittent like a loose connection or bad cable or something that comes & goes . Did your cutter follow that pattern ?

Yeah the port is freezing up... best way to reset is to either enable and disable the port in the device manager or to unplug and plug back in the USB cable on the side of the cutter... I think this could be as Rodger points out a bad cable or port for that matter. Trying a new cable might be a good try at a fix.

It is best to buy a spare cable or anything that you can buy much cheaper when time is on your hands . When I needed a cable it was 30 some bucks locally instead of $7 shipped via e-bay . At least it is another tool to trouble shoot when there is a problem . 1 similality we all seem to have is being thrifty  :thumbsup: .

Brandon,

You probably know better than I, but is there an option to use a serial cable with your machine? With my PCut, I was never able to cut using a USB. Even when I reconfigured my laptop and disabled EVERY OTHER PORT not in use. I didn't have a serial port, but I found a pcmcia to serial adapter on ebay for around $25.00. I haven't had a single problem since I got my current setup.

The adapter I bought is readily available, if anyone is having serious issues with usb and doesn't have a serial port (most newer laptops don't have them).

Charlie

Charlie, what exactly do I ask for when getting the serial adapter so I can use it on my laptop that doesn't have a serial port? Thanks

!

absolutely get the serial port. We had to get an adapter as well, and it made everything work perfectly. I had the same problem as you as well as the machine freezing up in the middle of big cuts. I got the serial adapter (off the internet) and now it works without a flaw.

hi guys, im getting the same problem as many other people, "can not open the output device. error initiailizing". I have worked on everything that i can possibly think of have tryed re installing change to everyport every cutter on the software, one thing i have noticed is that my cutter ( ProCut UC720 ) doesnt show up, how do you install that? and also whats the serial number for?

thanks alot please respond asap :thumbsup: