hobbymom

newbie SB user needs to open .jpg and cut?

Hi guys!

Just got SignBlazer and I have played around with it a little bit. I can create things in the program and cut them, but I can't seem to figure out how to open/cut other file types such as .jpg, .eps, etc. I went to the import option instead of open and was able to open it, but wasn't able to cut it. I also tried to do a Save As and make it a SignBlazer file and then tried to cut it, but that didn't work either. Can someone please help me? I have an order to fill. I do home interior stuff and this is something for my husband's friend that needs this for work ASAP. Please help! Sorry if this is a totally stupid question~

Import your .jpg, select the image, then go to Image, then mode and set to monochrome. Then go to Image and vectorize, then delete the top image leaving the vector image to cut.

This is a very valuable piece of information for those who want to take a graphic in raster (.jpg) format and convert into vector.

I figured it was worth the *bump* of this old thread.

----  By the way, there is another cool feature in SignBlazer that lets you take a photo and transform it into a cuttable file.

Import the picture (.jpg) and then go to Image menu - ImageCut.

Depending on the original photo, this can work really well.

or better yet learn to trace an image manually - or when you get busy just hire one of the pros to do it that way for you - any tracing program will never be as good as a hand trace.

• Like 1

+1 for learning how to manual trace. Most of us start with autotrace programs but they are only a crutch to help you along. Once you master drawing an object you are no longer bound by the output of the trace program. Sometimes the best is a blend of the 2 such as trace to get you a baseline to work from and node editing and adjustment to get what you want but usually faster and better to manual trace.

Jay

or better yet learn to trace an image manually - or when you get busy just hire one of the pros to do it that way for you - any tracing program will never be as good as a hand trace.

By this, do you mean hand trace, then import, then vector? I've had some success with importing and converting to vector, then cutting after doing some node editing. Does a hand trace import and convert with better results than a picture image?