Sign in to follow this  
broody

Should I even buy a USCUTTER?

Hi Guy's and Gals,

I am on the fence with whether or not a uscutter is even worth the trouble.  I am an avid mac user and I'll spend another 1,000 bucks on a roland before I go back to using a pc.  Having said that I am drawn to the value they offer, but it looks like mac users are having nothing but trouble with the machines.  I was looking mostly at a copam or pcut.  What are you guys using?  Is there an ideal setup for using a uscutter?  Any other mac friendly plotters out there?  Hoping to make a purchase tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

The best solution at this time is to use the new SignCut Productivity Suite with the lower end Chinese import vinyl cutters.

All i can say is if you can get it to work with your mac,,, What the heck is holding you back,, go for it,,

These are great lil machines,, that work extremely hard to make us happy.

MMM

Guest stunad, jr.

i spent a total of $45 at goodwill on a pc to run my new pcut in the garage. 

Not a big deal. 

Hi Guy's and Gals,

I am on the fence with whether or not a uscutter is even worth the trouble.  I am an avid mac user and I'll spend another 1,000 bucks on a roland before I go back to using a pc.  Having said that I am drawn to the value they offer, but it looks like mac users are having nothing but trouble with the machines.  I was looking mostly at a copam or pcut.  What are you guys using?  Is there an ideal setup for using a uscutter?  Any other mac friendly plotters out there?  Hoping to make a purchase tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

You will see trouble on this forum. It is a "support forum"

I have taken the plunge.  Just ordered a pcut w/ signcut x2.

Cool, we have very few actual problems getting any of US Cutters to work on any machine Mac or PC once we have the two communicating. Most macs will run strait out of the box as long as you have installed the correct drivers for USB communication. 99% of users who have had trouble add a Keyspan adapter to solve their communication  trouble and are up and running easily.

Should you need assistance getting going drop me an email at kimon@signforums.com or try our online support at support@sc-x2.com

Ok, got and everything is set up.  I had a slight hiccup with the LCD on the unit not functioning, but I tightened the plug connections on the motherboard and she's up and running.  Now I just have to learn how to overcome user errors!

For future mac users...the problems are not with the cutters themselves but with the SOFTWARE. Spending another $1000 for a Roland isn't going to solve anything. It is the SOFTWARE that establishes communication and runs the cutter.

Glad you got it running.

John, communication problems on Macs are hardware issues. If the plotter and the computer are not communicating properly no plotter software will resolve that. This is why so many resort to the keyspan adapter which bypassed the internal usb/serial card converter and the drivers that are supplied by either prolific or ftdi.

Once proper communication is established the software offered by Signcut and US Cutter is virtually bullet proof. The real problem lies with compatibility between the Mac and the USB Serial converter cards built into the import plotters. So spending an extra $50 bucks for a name brand converter like the Keyspan usually solves that problem.

let me re-phrase. The problem is USB on Macs. For that matter USB on Windows as well.

To quote Jerry Bonham (on USB)from Signblazer,just before he died:

"It is a nightmare.

Just imagine if every computer parts manufacturer in the past had to supply

drivers to run a Parallel port or a Com port?

What happened?

Progress?

With USB it went so far backwards as to be a joke.

Every chip manufacturer has to supply not just one drivers but one for

Vista, one for XP and a 64 bit one for Vista 64.  Now the number of USB

devices out there are legend and growing by the day."

Jerry knew more about Cutters than anyone I ever met. He could quote part numbers from memory. He was in China checking out the new cutters when he died.

Jerry knew more about Cutters than anyone I ever met. He could quote part numbers from memory. He was in China checking out the new cutters when he died.

Indeed.  :thumbsup:

RIP JB

Banner John, I bought my first cutting program from Jerry, it was a very small program, under 600kb on a floppy disk with a dongle.  I  had a lot dealings with Jerry over the upgrades and the development of the program, it finished up being called "WinCut".  I don't remember what the original name was, it had a few  name changes along the way.  Jerry was a great help over the years, if you called into his shop, he always had the time for a chat or help with any problems you might have.           

RIP Jerry.

Guest round2racing

Wish I had gotten the chance to know him.

I search his posts and read them all the time.

He's the reason I was able to get up and running so quickly, with a little help from my friends here also.