kearn

Any one know a good profession to make a living at????

:thumbsup:

Iwas informed yesterday that after spending 33yrs with the Co. I worked for.

They have decided to close my jewelry store that I manage?

I guess I will just have to jump start my sign business a bit faster than I had originally planned. After pCKING STORE UP nd sending back to dallas (fixtures&

inventory) I should start looking for a possible store front.

Best regards

Darrell

kearn

Ugh - that thoroughly sucks.  This economy is frightening.  I had to lay off 3 people and cut a day per week from 5 others in the 3 departments I run at work.  I can't even begin to think of what I'll have to do in 6 months if things don't pick up.

Good luck.  Maybe you can get your sign business booming with extra time you'll have to dedicate to it!

Please dont forget,, that every business right now wants poeple in there shop to shop,, what gets them in, to spend and stretch that dollar into 2 dollars,,,

Signs,, sale signs,, lots of signage in the windows,,,

Banners,, colorplast,, whatever it takes,,

Sell those signs,, i tested this myself 2 weeks ago i made my self a abanner,,

for my salon advertising hair color, and 10.00 off,

we had the busiest 2 weeks we have had in months,,,

most poeple are pinching every penny they have,, they want the sales,,

so sell those signs and banner to the business's.

MMM

VERY true MMM. I was test driving a car for my sis this weekend, and got talking to the dealer. Things are slow for him and he needs to generate a new buzz. I ended getting the work for two new building signs, two large wood lawn signs, about a dozen coroplasts, he even wants me to do his sons construction trailer. Just proves your point, we are needed more than ever right now.  :thumbsup:

I guess I will just have to jump start my sign business a bit faster than I had originally planned. After pCKING STORE UP nd sending back to dallas (fixtures&

Best regards

Darrell

kearn

I feel your pain. The plant where I work is shutting down after 18 years. I was planning to retire from there in a few years. So i'm starting this a little early and more intense than originally planned.

I lost my job after 12 yrs

I was a machinist for Dana

no future in automotive industry

Best regards

Darrell

kearn

So sorry for everyones job loss.

Sorry to hear about your loss -- it's hard to start over after that many years.

We got lucky a few years back - my wife and I both left our jobs (before all the layoffs started) and found a job as resident managers at a self storage facility. If you get into the right facility it's the best job in the world! I have lots of time to work on starting my sign business.

If you want a lead to get into this line of work send me a PM - I know of a web-site or two that has some job leads on it.

whatever you decide to do -- GOOD LUCK!

try to get your business started out of your home first.  There is nothing worse than spending a lot of money on a store only to find out that you dont need one, or that you could have a lot more income at the end of the month by not having a store. 

no future in automotive industry

That's about right.

I just lost my job working on semi trailers. The company sold new/used and a full repair shop. Nobody was buying and only a few getting repairs. So they shut down. Been there 6 years.

Best regards

Darrell

kearn

I feel your pain. The plant where I work is shutting down after 18 years. I was planning to retire from there in a few years. So i'm starting this a little early and more intense than originally planned.

What kind of plant was it? I know things are getting tight for the company that I work for they are shutting down a few plants, but I kind of lucked out... Because of the location of my plant we are getting the other plants equipment and some of their customers. But this is still the slowest I've ever seen it. I've been there 6 years and normally around this time I would be working a lot of 12hr shifts 12 days at a time... but this year, people can sign up for vol layoff... it's crazy.

The prediction I listened to on the Tv said the economy would hit bottom about June/July ... Scarey !!!

The prediction I listened to on the Tv said the economy would hit bottom about June/July ... Scarey !!!

I think the media is making the economy even worse...

that's optimistic. i was reading an article in people mag, at the urologists office the other day. it was an interview with an economic professional. she stated that "we would not see a light at the end of the economic tunnel until the year 2015". buckle up, it looks like it's going to be a bumpy ride.

bb

Well, there is a place hiring around here and Harrisburg. The unemployment office... (no joke)

ironic & funny  :thumbsup:

I stopped watching the evening news and I feel better about things  ;D

Im with you smallsigns! much easier that way.

Worked for one place for 10 years, switched jobs 3 years ago, economy tanked - Been looking since November. It's tough out here.

I agree these are extremely scary times.  I no longer watch the news, cause I don't even know what is real anymore....the media lies...and stretches the truth, etc.

I'm sorry for everyone who has lost a job...I know my husband is expecting one this year...his company ( building maintenance) is trimming back as well...  ;D

I agree with MMM, businesses want to advertise and be seen....we've had more inquiries and banner/coroplast orders this month then in Nov/Dec.

Ever since ancient Rome there hasn't been anything that has stood the test of time...as far as income, except  DRUGS and IMMORAL WOMEN. (Disclaimer; although I have enjoyed one or the other,  I don't condone ........trying both at the time  :angry:;)) .....Honestly our goverment is worried about nationalizing banks when they should be nationalizing the fuel/energy companies.... Energy speculation/futures has been the root of most of the financial burden placed on  food , cothing , tranportation suppliers , you and your employers. My heart goes out to all of you affected by the present financial state were in.

P.S.  I only watch the weather forcast because I know their lying  :angry:

One of the biggest parts to this whole problem was the greedy banks would lend money to anyone for mortgages at 100% value. When they could not afford the payments. Now to top that all off the majority of our manufactured goods are built offshore, and or sold to us by these same offshore companies. This creates a drain on the economy since most of these countries DO NOT buy our products (which we no longer have manufacturing facilities anyway) in exchange. The only thing flowing out is Money.

I know its the old Buy American, But it is true. WE NO LONGER HAVE A MANUFACTURING BASED ECONOMY, we are survice oriented.

Yes Toyota and whom ever might have a plant or two, but the money still leaves the US.

Look around your house  and see how many things are actually Made in the US.

And everyone wonders why we have a problem.

just my $.02

Dave

i agree dave every thing is made in china jappane korea or some place else

nothing is made in america all the plants are over seas and or bought from other countries

the economy is going to get worst folks it is going to be like in the 1920's and 30's recession if you got it you best keep it and if you dont got it you wont never have it

the economy is only going to get worst like some one said earlier in the post it wont be better until at least 2015 if that early

i guess the only way to make it is more advertizing like some one also said earlier in the post

the rich get richer the poor get poorer

i seen on tv about the ceo of exxon his house is 3 or 4 storys high looks like las vegas with all the lights hmmmmmmmmm intersting wounder why because we all need gas and it makes his pockets fatter  the bastered

even microsoft is laying off people ( bill gates ) dell computers are shutting down in winston salem nc alot of compaines are closing or laying off people even catapiller has shut down 13 factoryes because of the economy 

what are we goign to do  if you got it keep it if you dont got it dont worry u wont never have it probably

just my 2 pennies worth

I read in the paper that our trade deficit was 700 billion dollars. If we turned that to US made goods we wouldn't need an economic stimulus package, China would.