jhdesigns

First project with our new P-Cut

We recently purchased a P-Cut to do our own racing graphics. Here is our first job. My wife did the layout in Illustrator and I cut the vinyl using SignBlazer. There were a few choice words about the bitmap to vector issue but once she learned how to export the files the way the cutting program wanted them we were in business.

Picture030.jpg

width=800 height=600http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa211/jhughes1111/New%20Kart/Picture031.jpg[/img]

width=800 height=600http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa211/jhughes1111/New%20Kart/Picture032.jpg[/img]

width=800 height=600http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa211/jhughes1111/New%20Kart/Picture029.jpg[/img]

The P-Cut works great. No problems so far that weren't caused by operator error  :angel:

wow! I'm impressed! Very awesome job!

I have been at this for about 6 months and I have not even attempted layering vinyl, it scares me...lol.

Renee

Thanks for all the great compliments  :D

I must credit my wife for the design work. I barely know how to open Illustrator much less design something with it. She even uses one of those evil Mac type computers.

I have been racing big cars for a long time and Sign Design in Columbus, MS used to do all my lettering. (Not the big car in these pictures) I learned a lot from them about what looks good on the race track and they taught me how to stick the layered vinyl. Don't be scared of layering it Renee. Just be sure to mix up some application fluid and don't try to stick it dry.

She even uses one of those evil Mac type computers.

LOL  :D Agreed! I work with them on a daily basis at my FT job, but Im a PC guy.

Thanks for all the great compliments  :D

I must credit my wife for the design work. I barely know how to open Illustrator much less design something with it. She even uses one of those evil Mac type computers.

I have been racing big cars for a long time and Sign Design in Columbus, MS used to do all my lettering. (Not the big car in these pictures) I learned a lot from them about what looks good on the race track and they taught me how to stick the layered vinyl. Don't be scared of layering it Renee. Just be sure to mix up some application fluid and don't try to stick it dry.

I'm wondering if you are are talking about sticking the vinyl to each other wet? or sticking the whole shabang on the surface wet? See what I mean? I just dont get it...LOL!!

Renee

I like to stick it on in layers using fluid behind each layer. That works great on race cars and go karts but I'm sure it wouldn't work on all surfaces. I stick the first layer down, squeege it good, let it dry for a bit, then peel off the transfer paper and start on the next layer. On the larger pieces I spray the work surface and the back of the vinyl to make sure it doesn't stick before I have it placed correctly. Small fine letters like the Hughes Racing inside the #11 I stick on dry but you have to be careful because once it touches there's no moving it.

Here's a picture of the side with the first layer of the number and Hughes Tractor logo applied. We decided the Hughes Tractor logo wasn't big enough so we pulled it off and made a larger one.

Picture025.jpg

Awesome!  My first job (which almost paid for my cutter) was wrapping pink and purple flames around that same kart body!  Going to do their trailer in the spring, that should be interesting..

Very good work big props on the install colors pop right in your face good combo choice also welcome to the forum from southern california........ :D

I like to stick it on in layers using fluid behind each layer. That works great on race cars and go karts but I'm sure it wouldn't work on all surfaces. I stick the first layer down, squeege it good, let it dry for a bit, then peel off the transfer paper and start on the next layer. On the larger pieces I spray the work surface and the back of the vinyl to make sure it doesn't stick before I have it placed correctly. Small fine letters like the Hughes Racing inside the #11 I stick on dry but you have to be careful because once it touches there's no moving it.

Here's a picture of the side with the first layer of the number and Hughes Tractor logo applied. We decided the Hughes Tractor logo wasn't big enough so we pulled it off and made a larger one.

Picture025.jpg

Thanx for sharing that! I do have another ? for ya....when cutting the design out, How much smaller is the top layer from the bottom layer? How do you know what size to cut what image? LOL!! My apologies for being a dumb a##!!

Renee

When you are designing your image generally you have several layers, each layer is a different color. So you are going to be doing the design of the entire image and then when you cut you are going to just cut one layer at a time and stack them up.