jayfil23

applying vinyl to....vinyl

Hey guys i have a question for you before i tackle my new project. I have made a couple coroplast signs now, and done flat windows and cars windows and i am really getting the hang of installation. However, the last guy i made a sign for now wants a fairly large...(8ft by 4ft) vinyl banner. How do you apply vinyl to these being that it is so large and flimsy? I just dont see how i am going to pull this off keeping everything straight and what not. All the advice i can get will be great! thanks

jayson

The banner expert, John, should be along to point you in the right direction.....

:thumbsup:

I apply with the banner flat on a work table. I've heard of some people hanging the banner on a flat wall. Mark the center,and go for it. Banners are  much easier to do than almost anything else.

Guest fivestar

Yup John that's how I do them.  Hang them on the wall and work from there, I think it's easier then doing them on a table, but then again I don't have a big enough table to do an 8' long banner on.

I found a great cheap way to do banners.

At Home Depot you can buy a interior door that has no hole in it for handles ect. thats 61/2 foot long and 30 inches wide for $20

just lay it on some saw horses or what ever you have around and you have a nice work table cheap

I've done all of mine on the kitchen floor. No work table big enough. My first paying job was two 4 x 8 banners. Do them wet and use plenty of water.

I do them on a table when I am doing vinyl lettered banners. I tape down the left and right sides. Just remember, measure twice! Once you get the hang of it it's no big deal.

I've done all of mine on the kitchen floor. No work table big enough. My first paying job was two 4 x 8 banners. Do them wet and use plenty of water.

LOL I'd need the rescue squad out here to get me up out of the floor once I got down there.

And the floor is squeaky clean after too  :rolleyes:;)

Jon

i made a 4ft by 8ft jig...  basically i cut, hem and grommet the banner, then use elastic cords and stretch the banner over the frame, then measure and lay vinyl!  The jig keeps the banner from moving when trying to lay vinyl!

vinyl banners were very scary to me the first time i attempted one.

The way i do these that works GREAT for me is i buy the banner blank, push pin each corner through the hooks or grommets to a piece of wood thats flat (home made table even) and wet lay the vinyl with rapid tac solution.

I heard your not supposed to wet lay banners but i've never had any problems at all.

Here is one i wet layed that was 6x2' (dont mind the fold marks from the banner being shipped  :rolleyes:)

15wcppd.jpg

I did one banner on the kitchen floor.  After deducting the cost of the pain pills and Bengay, I think I lost money.