metatrox

24" or 36"

Ok Im completely new to this. it looks like a 36" roll is quite a bit more rare than 24". I didnt even see 36" on USCUTTER site.

Which should I get?

Will a 36" plotter support 24" rolls?

Thanks!!

i need to know quickly as I wish to purchase from ebay in next couple hours.

Thanks!

Yes, the 36" will load media up to 36" in width. 3" is about the smallest width it will feed.

So I guess i should get the 36" because it will take the 24" rolls also which seem much more common correct?

So ill be safe with the 36"? Im not going to be investing in something that will be very hard to get media for?

There's a lot of 30" vinyl out there too.

I got the 48" model, just because my 48" will do everything a 24" cutter will do....but a 24" cutter can't do what my 48" cutter does!

My recommendation is buy the biggest once you can afford "just in case".

I have both a 36" and 24" cutter. I have used the 30" vinyl quite often but I have also used as small as 3".

If you have the space for the bigger cutter,dollar for dollar it is the best deal.

Bummer i missed it! Will have to wait for the next 34" one i suppose.

I have a TON of ideas running through my head and i cant wait to get my hands on one of these machines.

Im looking to do a Transformers theme on my Jeep Wranger.

my 2 cents worth .... I bought a 24" machine & I make up to 23" by however long I want decals with it . I can make bigger decals , but make them in 23" parts ( " tiles " ) . I would not trade even up for a bigger cutter if it could not cut small rolls & scraps because I have never wanted to make a bigger than 23" tall decal & vinyl is cheaper & more available in 15" & 24" rolls it seems . I would value being able to use small peices ( scraps left over of other cuts ) more than cutting a larger than 23" decal in 1 peice . I am an amatuer , I would ask BannerJohn more questions about the cutter being able to use smaller rolls & cut from scraps . BannerJohn is the most realistic , knowledgeable & experienced member IMHO ( by FAR  )  ... LOL BannerJohn is sorta of like the " Candy Man " ( Sammy Davis Jr ) of vinyl  ;) ..he is our Leader !

LOL thanks for the vote of confidence,Rodger! I don't claim to be an expert on anything but I cut a LOT of vinyl. And yes, I waste nothing. MY work and my experience speaks for me...I don't have to toot my own horn. If I am good at anything,it is by sheer repitition.

I am glad I have my 36" because I have a good source for 30" vinyl. It comes in handy. If I didn't have it, I could just as easily do everything on a 25" cutter.

That being said...if the dollar amount was less than $100 difference, I would go for the 36". Better too much than not enough. If my budget was tight,as many of our members' is...I would go for the 25".

What I like, is you're going to cut something 4"x44"....just put 48" vinyl in there and you only use like 4.5" of material.  With a 24" cutter you'd have to load up a 15" and then have a 9"x44" piece of scrap laying around till next time.  Personally, I'd rather lay a 48" wide graphic than have a seam and do it in panels if I can avoid it.  But I don't mind laying big pieces.  4x8 banners in one shot is nice too.  =)

Since I do paint protection film, a lot of things have to be cut from 48" or 30" material, so 24" wouldn't do it for me in those cases.

Dan, that's pretty cool.

Do you have any pics of your work?  I'm working on a couple banners and signs myself.

Thanks

What I like, is you're going to cut something 4"x44"....just put 48" vinyl in there and you only use like 4.5" of material.  With a 24" cutter you'd have to load up a 15" and then have a 9"x44" piece of scrap laying around till next time.  Personally, I'd rather lay a 48" wide graphic than have a seam and do it in panels if I can avoid it.  But I don't mind laying big pieces.  4x8 banners in one shot is nice too.  =)

Since I do paint protection film, a lot of things have to be cut from 48" or 30" material, so 24" wouldn't do it for me in those cases.

Like I said , I am an amatuer . If I was making a 4" X 44' decal . I would make 2  4" decals less than 24" each & line the decal up ( i use a lead pencil & a square ) . I would line it up with a lead pencil & square anyway as 44" decals that tall are easy to put on curved ( I know !!!  ;) ) .  I would have 1 of everything if space & money wasn't a consideration including that bad-ass $225,000 inkjet printer i seen in Atlantic City last year . They ran a front door thru it , printed a Shrek scene on it & WOW it was awesome . Having Depression raised parents , It is a sin to waste or overbuy . But like our leader BannerJohn said , if about $100 difference , worth it . I am not sure how much more a 48" cutter is than a 36" vs cost on a 24" model ( I bought the $600 24" copam because it was first " commercial " grade cutter they sold ) . If as the OP said , wanting to decal a Jeep Wrangler ( I have a 89 Wrangler ... it's a Jeep thing  ;) ) ... not much need to overbuy .

well,Rodger..if I need to cut something 4" x44", I just use a roll of 5 or 6 inch vinyl. I keep it in most colors. $6-8 for a 50 yard roll. Not much waste there.

I would also if i had a selection . I bought 1 red , 1 black , 1 white & 1 orange prism rolls of 24" vinyl last year right after i bought my cutter . Still have 1/2 of that . Alot depends on doing it for your own stuff ( me ) , a hobby or as a sign shop . When i get a good selection of colors & size , I will be VERY happy .

WHat brand do you buy & where ? I might break open the piggy bank  ;)

I'd love to stock every size too, but I don't like tying cash up in inventory.  =(  Usually just 15" and 30" in popular colors, 48" once in a great while, and when I special order something usually in 30".  Sometimes it's hard to find certain colors in 48".  Lots of places don't stock it.  I use 15" mostly, but having the ability to use the larger rolls comes in handy.

But that's just me personally, I had seaming stuff.  If you don't mind seaming that's fine.  I just think it's easier to lay one big piece than line up two smaller ones.

Benr98, I just put up a picture of an awning I did.  Most of the boring stuff I don't take pictures of.  Like coroplast signs for "eat at joes" or whatever.  About the only time I'll publish a picture of a sign/vehicle lettering that I do is if it's a reciprocating business relationship.  Where we're both actively trying to refer business to each other.

I haven't had to make a customer wait while I special ordered vinyl in 2 years. As  a full time sign shop, I think it is cost-effective(and good business) to have what the customer wants,when they want it. One job pays for the roll,after all.

I can see the wisdom in that John . I think making decals for inhouse stuff like I do , or as a hobby it would be much more costly to stock up on colors in 36" or 48" vinyl . As a full time sign shop , If a customer wanted a specialty vinyl , anybody could understand having to order , but any shop should have all the basic colors . Even in that situation , it would be alot cheaper to have 15" or 24" selections .

90% of my business is made in white/black/silver/red.  After that would be blue.  Anything else I need I can pick up in 7 minutes.  If they don't have it, shipped to my place in one business day.

In my experience, money on the shelf in the form of a roll, can't pay my bills.  Which is why I prefer to stock the larger rolls since they can be made into smaller things easily, but (how I do things) it's harder to make smaller rolls into larger things.

dan . I'm sure John wasn't & I know I wasn't referring to you . John was explaining to the OP how stocked , organized & prepared a regular sign shop is .. & that is how his shop is . John is our hero , because he knows most of us are not regular sign shops , We do our own stuff or just getting started as a part time business , John has ALWAYS given the most practical , realistic advice without any malice to everybody . Sounds like you are more like me  ;) , Do what we want & have mostly that material . Sounds like you mostly use clear stuff to protect paint .

Sounds like you mostly use clear stuff to protect paint .

Thanks to the economy and new car sales being down, signage has surpassed PPF by a good measure this year.

Vinyl/wraps/shirts are a 3rd addition to my business, but I also work at a sign shop and have worked at sign shops over the years.

the worse the economy gets,the better my signs biz gets. People know that the most cost effective way of advertising is signs. In my area, and most areas, a banner costs less than one radio commercial or tiny ad in the paper..and draws people in at the POP. I've actually had people tell me that one small coroplast sign increased their business by 50%,simply by letting people know more about what they sold.

I can drive down the parkway here and in the strip malls, you really have no idea what most of the businesses sell by their signs. What does "The Lady Bug" tell you? It sure doesn't tell you what they sell (Scrapbook supplies). One part of being a sign person is helping people decide what they need...not what they want.

Example...my brother owns a bar/grill...very successful but like most bars, slow during the week. He was running 5 radio spots a day at $20 each. Business picked up a little. I made him a 2x6 banner  " $ 2 beer Tues-Thurs" and his business doubled on those nights.He had always had the special,just nobody knew it.

I worked in radio when I was younger and I kinda got to see a bit of how advertising can work. It sure helps in the sign biz. 26 years as a business owner I learned a thing or two as well.

Hey John ,

Thanks again for some solid realistic advice .