CoachWhite

Placement of vinyl for an exterior church sign.

I have successfully cleaned the paint off of the acrylic sign. But we are thinking of putting the vinyl on the outside verses the inside. Any suggestions?

It should go on the outside in almost all circumstances. The anti-UV coating is often on the face and the glue can fail if exposed to UV.

Correct. I was saying the UV coating is on the face of the vinyl. The face of the vinyl should face towards the sun when possible (unless the vinyl is purpose made to do otherwise)

• Like 1

Yes It's a lighted sign but I don't feel that we need to use Translucent vinyl. We are planning on using 3 mil+ quality vinyl and then when we go and spray the inside of the sign we are going to mask off the vinyl so that the light will come thru nicer. 

Even doing that pretty sure the light is not going to shine through. As a test though, take a piece of vinyl and put a flashlight behind it. If you can see the light great, go ahead and use that vinyl but don't think you're going to see the light like you want.

• Like 2

I agree with the general consensus that if you want light to come through you better use translucent. You'd be surprised at the difference. It doesn't cost a lot more if you have somewhere you can buy it by the yard (local supplier)

I have also heard that you should always place the vinyl face to the sun. I don't think there is actually a UV coating on regular cut vinyl as the vinyl itself is nicely resilient to UV but as mentioned the adhesive is what gives up to the UV rays. 

• Like 1

Even doing that pretty sure the light is not going to shine through. As a test though, take a piece of vinyl and put a flashlight behind it. If you can see the light great, go ahead and use that vinyl but don't think you're going to see the light like you want.

Ok I'll look into that thanks for the suggestion. 

Thinking Dan and Jason probably have the experience with back lit signs  - I read for years sign builder magazine and have also read about using vinyl on both the inside and outside (mirrored inside placed exactly in same spot) for better color and not look washed out - I personally don't have the experience to do them - There is another print shop in town that does them and every one of them looks washed out at night and doesn't look good on their business.   if I can't do a good job personally I pass and let someone with the experience do it

• Like 1