Sign in to follow this  
xpaperman

Computer/Networking help

I need someone a bit more advanced or up to date than myself.  I have a desire to kind of set up some kind of network but I have a few questions before I get started.

If you think you might could help out just PM me and I will explain in more detail what I am after exactly or, we could discuss it here.... It might help someone down the road!

I consider myself to be a tech junkie, I don't know if I can help in this instance but I would be happy to try!

Well, What I am wanting to accomplish is to have a drive on my network that I can store all my work files.  I want to be able to access it from other computers in the house and I would like to be able to tap into it from my other office.  I was thinking I might could get an external hard drive that I could connect straight to my router?  (can they do this?  I have no experience with external hard drives)  Or do I need say a dedicated desk top to handle the task?  I don't really want to use my main work computer for this so I was trying to think what the best way to do this is.  That is the basic gist .....  I know (if it is possible or the way to go) that its not plug and play.  I do have some experience with networking and IP addresses etc.... So I could probably get it set up I just don't know what way to attack it.

You can look into NAS drives (network attached storage). To access it outside of your home network you would need to assign the drive a static network ip address and forward the appropriate ports. You would also need a static ip address from your isp or sign up for a ddns service.

The cloud?

I don't currently use the cloud for anything.  Don't have much info on it.  Do you use the cloud for this?  How safe is it?

You can look into NAS drives (network attached storage). To access it outside of your home network you would need to assign the drive a static network ip address and forward the appropriate ports. You would also need a static ip address from your isp or sign up for a ddns service.

So NAS is more of what I am after vs external hard drive?  I guess they are kind of one in the same just the NAS attaches to the network?

I bought a Netgear router with Readyshare on it. It has a USB port I plug my portable hard drive up to and can access from any PC on my network. 

This is the router I have. http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-Router-Gigabit-WNDR3700/dp/B002HWRJY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446953002&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+router+with+usb+netgear

Some routers have a sata enclosure built in, you can stick an actual hard drive in it and share it on the network.  Some have a usb port for an external drive.  A nas usually is a drive with a way to connect to the network like an ethernet port.  I find all these solutions to be less speedy at the primary workstation over the option of just local storage.  Local storage can always be shared so other workstations can access it.

Local storage can always be shared so other workstations can access it.

What he said :thumbsup:

Computers on the same wireless network can access other computer's hard drives if you turn on "Sharing".

Another cheap option is Google Drive. You can install it on all your PC's and save your files to the drive and it will sync with the cloud and you can access your files from any pc

I prefer a good NAS setup vs sharing a workstation drive. NAS will typically use less electricity than your average computer and create less heat. Some NAS systems have apps that work with Android and iOS.

Whatever you choose make sure you backup frequently. I backup to flash drive, external hdd, dvd and dropbox.