You guys base your profit on the roll of vinyl or by each item you sell? Ive done the math if you price item by size then the profit you would make from that seems really high for the price that you pay for a roll of vinyl.

Selling a 6" x 6" decal for $5 means you only need to sell 5 of them to pay for a 15 yard roll of vinyl.

Couldnt you compete better by setting a profit margin for a roll of vinyl?

Your profit is per item. You're missing the cost of equipment, software, computer, electric and/or rent, app. tape, screwups that you throw away and the list goes on. And don't forget the most important part: pay for yourself. If you're satisfied making $8-$10 an hour McDonalds is always hiring and you don't have the overhead.

• Like 3

Not to mention the lack of consistancy in those jobs that use up that roll... some will net a profit of say,

300 percent where another may only produce 200 percent. Sure you could tryt and average the profit

over a square foot of material but you're asking for losses.

Much like the 'length + width / 2' rule of thumb many use here on the forum,,,, careful with that one!

'length + width / 2 rule of thumb works for smaller basic decals. But experience is the only true pricing system and even then mistakes will happen.

Very true, Jay... I have found it to be a handy formula to make sure I'm not waaay off.

Maybe it's me but so many of my clients want custom and detail and something special...

All these attributes, as you know, take time and I would often be at a loss with that formula.

Its probably a good average for many folks out there, though.

Is there a decent formula for someone like me working from the house and only online? I have no overhead rent wise. But being online i need to be able to attract buyers with price and still make money. Most of my listings will be customizable as in color , set sizes and words.

I'm definately not the one to answer your question, Jesse. Other than having a shop at home,

Our situations and overhead are quite different.

I would think the L+W/2 Rule would get you in the ballpark. Remember,

Time spent with Design and Installation have to be added as well.

The problem with online is you either need to do something nobody else does at a fair price or do the same stuff and compete with thousands of bottom feeders on price. On a plus I don't sell online so I won't be competing with you, just thousands of others in the same spot you're in trying to make a few extra bucks.

• Like 1

The problem with online is you either need to do something nobody else does at a fair price or do the same stuff and compete with thousands of bottom feeders on price. On a plus I don't sell online so I won't be competing with you, just thousands of others in the same spot you're in trying to make a few extra bucks.

Most of what I hear about online sales seems to be a 'Race to the Bottom' as far as Price goes (and sometimes Quality, too).

I refuse to compete with that mentality. That's not my Customer Profile.

I use my Website as a Portfolio and nearly all of my sales are done in person.

I commend those who are able to compete, and truly profit, Online.

My formula make as much as possible and do a excellent job. I don't do stickers just signs, banners etc. Commercial type signage my markup on substrate is 100% minimum my labor is 50.00 per man hour. Even if you don't have overhead sell at a price to make money if you don't yo will never have over head because you will not be able to grow.

• Like 2

I always go with .07 per sq inch for 651.

Just did 2 signs for a meat packing plant.

24 X 17 is $28.56 rounded up to $29 not installed.

L+W/2 would have been $32.50.

BUT

100 X 24 would have been $168.00 my way and $112.00 the other way.

In the long run it probably works out, but it is just the way I started.

I always did the $1 an inch on the longest measurement for smaller stuff. This comes from my flea market days when if you were asked a price and you had to stop and figure it out they'd shuffle away to the next guy and you'd lose the sale. All systems have a place and sometimes it's a mix of several systems to find what works best for your situation.

Yeah and now there are tons of Chinese sales out there now that can afford to do the  .99 cent deals.

It's not just chinese, people in the US think that they can be competitive and until something breaks and they don't have money to replace it the may actually be able to make slightly over min. wage. If anyone wants to work for free I have an immediate opening, may even buy you lunch from time to time.

• Like 5

Is there a decent formula for someone like me working from the house and only online? I have no overhead rent wise. But being online i need to be able to attract buyers with price and still make money. Most of my listings will be customizable as in color , set sizes and words.

Online sales only, with just decals are hard to make a good profit. Even if yours are unique, the Chinese will probebly get a hold of your design or make it close to yours and sell it cheaper.  Online is ok for some side cash, but try to get out and get some store fronts, banners, also.

but yea with so many sites out there selling pretty much the same thing you are, the word profit, don't fit there. Plus your time with the upkeep of a website, or posting posting posting on ebay / etsy. 

My basic formula for decals, is on the roll,

so if a guy wants say a decal thats 11" X 17"   I would charge him on a 12" roll. 

so would be 12" wide roll  X 17" long  = 204 cubic inch' s of vinyl on the roll. then i take 204 X .10 = $20.40  for just 1 color.

even if ya have say a 4" X 17" i still charge them that way, because the rest of the 17" long of 8" cut off is scrap.

friends I would charge a little less. I have a $10.00 minimum. 

So far for the public around here, i have not had no complaints on my prices.  

And that's just for a standard decal. If they want a custom one, then have a standing design price like say $25.00 design fee, ( paid upfront before designing starts )

typing custom text isn't custom designing, ( yes i had a girl ask me that one time ) hehe

but that's my simple formula for decals, that works around here, an I do give discounts for first time people and let them know that... everyone loves a discount.

we have a sign company here that charges $20.00 a foot, even lettering, place I work at, had some words made up, 8" high letters, basic stuff, hydrolic fluid, Barrels etc.

yea 20.00 a foot wow. 

its hard to price online, because your not selling to your local area, your selling to the USA. OR International.  different areas, think that price is too high, and some think its cheap. so.....

• Like 1

I havent launched yet, but when i do in Jan ill have 40 items to start. So far the price for the sizes im offering are close to what others are doing. I hope to have 300 items my first year at competive prices. I also offer several sizes for each item at different prices to fit the buyers needs. Along with what ever color they want it in. Im just trying to get my foot in the door. Im sure ill learn the price points as I go along. I may have to drop or raise prices.

I had to do 2 Banners they called me on Sat Night off my add on Craigslist!!.. They needed it by Sunday at 2pm

Yes it was a late night working that night.. heeheh

They wher 100 inches wide by 30 inches tall

The Vinyl was 77 inches by 18 inches

I Got $100 per banner and $20 tip :)

4 1/2 yards of Vinyl

5 1/2 yards of Banner

I think i made out good.. :)

And i didn't have to install..

Now they want me to get the old sign and make it new again .. this was a temp thing for them!!

post-16863-0-67814000-1385412095_thumb.j

Try and sell them faces for the sign

That's why I was telling him earlier. More money if the faces and no more work really.

Oh, Yes he wants me to make new letters for his sign..

But he cracked it that night i went to go to the church cause he went from HOT to VARY COLD outside and cracked it .. hehe

I have to go there and look at the damage and see what i can do !

I've never had temp crack them. I bet they are just really old and the stress of moving them caused the cracks. I would not work on something that has cracked once already because it will happen again and there is some liability involved if you fix them and something happens and causes someone to get hurt. My vote is new faces or no faces.

If they cracked probably no lexan. I have taken out plexi that p eople have used as faces and they would just fall apart. I would guess you have a supplier fairly close to buy some pan faces and translucent vinyl.

• Like 2