Sign in to follow this  
busterbay

Need Help with New SC Cutter

Hello,

I got my new SC 34" cutter on Monday today was the first chance I had to play with it.

It is having an issue with a few curves is there a setting I need to adjust ?

I posted two photo's

Thanks !!

IMG_20130814_172426_928.jpg

IMG_20130814_172439_559.jpg

More then likely its your image. turn nodes on in SCALP and see how many strays you have

More then likely its your image. turn nodes on in SCALP and see how many strays you have

Can you put that in English ? I am a newbie what is a stray ?

Your design is made up of nodes, which are connected to make your design.  When you look at your design in wire frame mode, you can view all of the nodes.  Look in that area and edit the nodes causing the problems in your design.

Your design is made up of nodes, which are connected to make your design.  When you look at your design in wire frame mode, you can view all of the nodes.  Look in that area and edit the nodes causing the problems in your design.

Yep that looked like an issue there were no nodes at the top of the apex.

How do I add nodes ?

The only way I could figure out how to do it was to re-import the image with the optimize turned off.

Thanks !!!

I don't use Scalp.  Possibly try vectoring your image in Inkscape.org.  It is FREE software.

I will give it a try thanks for the tip.

I will give it a try thanks for the tip.

Most vector images need the nodes cleaned up after a vector.   That is something you will have to learn.   Your welcome

Most vector images need the nodes cleaned up after a vector.   That is something you will have to learn.   Your welcome

Inkscape seems very user friendly I already figured out how to add additional nodes. If I get a chance to cut a new project I will post it. BTW what do you folks call the final out put from a vinyl project ? I also do concrete and we call them a cast and sometimes a pull. 

I had a client come in today asking to reproduce a specific logo.

After scanning it, the result needed a bit of clean-up. Now, I'm by no means an expert in node editing, but after about 5 minutes of nudging nodes and fooling around in SignBlazer, the result was fine.

Bottom line here ---  the cutter is doing exactly what you asked it to do, and there's no problem with the machine.

"BTW what do you folks call the final out put from a vinyl project ?"

Answer ---  Money (in my pocket)

Bottom line here ---  the cutter is doing exactly what you asked it to do, and there's no problem with the machine.

"BTW what do you folks call the final out put from a vinyl project ?"

Answer ---  Money (in my pocket)

I figured it was the image / software..

Yeah we call it that also. 

In SCALP you can edit the nodes by clicking the 2nd button from top in left side bar and once your nodes show you can add or delete with right click on object or particular node. Pretty much like any other program Ive used really. A stray is just that......a stray node not where it belongs, kinda like a stray animal. figured I couldnt get plainer English then that lol

Let's take a minute and go back to the question about terminology regarding cut-vinyl output from our machines.

I have developed a six-step process for the production cycle in my sign store.

1.  Interview & Evaluation of customer's needs  (creating a "job sheet" with the specs)

2.  Design (includes a Proof for customer authorization)

3.  Cut

4.  Weed

5.  Tape  (App tape also called Transfer tape)

6.  Drop / Apply  -- Completed sign

(Step seven would be Install, if required)

Job Worksheet.pdf

Nice Slice, Like the worksheet.

Buster, it is possible to have cutter issues with the blade offset being wrong but most likely it is the file as the others have described in previous posts. Personally I only do the 'trace image' thing on rare occasions and rather spend a little extra time tracing things out from scratch. I get clean results the first time that way and in the end am happier with the results. All depends on the job though. If its a one time only cut then I might not want to invest as much effort if I can squeak by but I hate a goobered up cut. There are some good YouTube training vids out there particularly for Inkscape which is a great free program. Inkscape also has a pretty good tutorial section in the help menu that will walk you through a lot of the basics. I import my image and then lower the opacity to about 50% and lock it so you don't accidentally select it and then start tracing the various parts of the image. Lets you decide how you want things layered and clean up places that 'live trace' has a hard time interpreting. I actually work in Illustrator but all the vector drawing programs are essentially doing the same basic things. There are bells and whistles that I would miss if I were having to work in the cheaper programs but the same results can be obtained with any of them with enough practice and familiarity.