MadHatterGraphix

Sublimation Printers.

Alright Dakotagraphics got me going after he asked me to start a sub catagory for DTG printers so now I'm onto Sublimation. Lets discuss it here.

First Question: Whos sublimation printer do you have?

Epson desktop inkjet

or

Ricoh

or

Other?

I am interested in this because I believe there is now sublimation ink available for my printer. I bought an Epson Workforce 1100 from Cobra Ink Systems. If I understand what I heard correctly I can get their sublimation ink now and print onto a transfer sheet and then heat it onto a blank such as a piece of tile, metal business card and so on. I have not taken the plunge yet because I currently use the printer with standard ink for T-shirt transfers with JPSS and the Opaque stuff and don't know if I would loose the ability to do that if I switched inks. 

Hope that is what you were asking for, I would love to find out more. 

Ted actually you would lose the ability to print to Opaque T-shirts transfers. The inks are different and sometimes the two combined can gum up the heads on the epsons. I have the Epson WF 7510 basically as my everyday / tshirt transfer printer an an Epson C88+ for my sublimation printer. The C88 is a low cost printer found on the big auction site. I never had an issue as long as I did a head cleaning or printed it up, same with my 7510. Any other questions just post and I will try and help you out with the Epsons everything else someone can chime in. And yes sublimation you can print on polyester shirts and polyester treat products.

I would strongly recommend a separate printer for sublimation work - if you try and go back and forth between two ink types in one printer you're going to a) waste a tremendous amount of ink purging and refilling the lines each time, and as Kissfan noted, if not done properly it can gum up the whole works.

You can pick up a desktop wide format (up to 13" x 19")  Epson 7010 with CISS for <$200 (here is one vendor I found - I have no experience ordering from them - yet - http://www.hotzone360.com/wo70wiemcifo.html).  You will need to provide your own high-temp inks, available on ebay or through online vendors.

• Like 1

If you want zero maintenance and don't use all the time Ricoh is the way to go. It runs it's own cycles to keep from drying out and in almost 2 years of on and off use all I've ever do was change cartridges, never even had to run a head cleaning. Had a c88 and if used regularly and properly maintained they are a good entry printer but last time I looked I think Epson stopped making them which means you'd be starting with outdated technology.

Always go up and get the WF he has or buy any wide format by epson to do this. Now the C88 might be outdated but it still does a good job. When the time comes I will parade to Ricoh. The other downfall I see about Ricoh is the cartridges or is there a bulk ink system?

Cartridges but they last a long time compared to Epson cartridges. Don't get me wrong epsons are awesome but they don't like to sit idle and the ricoh uses the sublijet from sawgrass and they have color profile readily available. If doing sub you definitely need to make sure you have a profile for your ink whatever brand you use. 

Yeah I use CIS system on my C88 so I don't notice anything wrong. Like I said when it comes the time I will parade and the cartridges have to come down I price.

I ordered black for my ricoh 3300 last fall cause it said it was low, finally had to change it a couple weeks ago. The 1 thing about these and the epsons is when they say they're out they stop doesn't matter if it's still printing fine. With the Epson bulk kits you reset and keep going. I don't use mine a ton but it does get used and I've only put 2 cartridges in around 2 years and it has never had a clogging issue.

Don't get me wrong I love epson printers but they don't like to sit idle. If you use them frequently they are awesome but if they sit idle they're prone to head clogging and I never could remember to run a page every couple days to keep in from drying up. Ricoh does the thinking for me.

ricoh here - I let mine sit for a couple of months at a time especially during the summer so the Ricoh is my only choice - if I printed all the time I would go with a corbra system

I run cobra in my Epson for tshirts but it nevers more than over the weekend. Cobra has a great setup going and pretty trouble-free.

• Like 1

I can say I use mine almost everyday even the c88 gets a head cleaning just to be careful every 3 days never had issues. However here's a dumb question and I have been doing this for awhile ... How long can oh let the transfer lay around? I usually print wait a day and press but can they lay around for awhile, rather print than waste ink head cleaning.

Mine never last more than a few minutes and off to the press they go. Seen like they'd last a long time since it's not really an ink to begin with so drying out shouldn't be a problem.

Inks a little high but other than  that looks like the replacement for the 3300 I use.

• Like 1

Inks a little high but other than  that looks like the replacement for the 3300 I use.

Ok thanks for input. I was going to get back into screen printing, but this way looks faster and more versatile for small runs

Just remember for sublimation you need 100% polyester

• Like 1

jpss for the 50/50's - no sublimation there.  the other pricy option is chromoblast

So your saying I need to get a printer for chromablast thanks dakota lol actually I will stick with the DTG for cotton or if I get the roland use that.

It is an investment found it Craigslist its nothing fancy a kiosk II, more learning curves than anything I have tried. Atleast the guy cleaned it before he stored it. Luckily I had money backing then to get it. I prefer sublimation over it but then again I haven't really done a 100% poly shirt just the 50/50 cause a customer likes the faded/ vintage look it gives. I still sell them at $15.

Most of us use transfers like jet pro soft stretch (jpss) for whites and the 3g for colors. Haven't tried the chromablast products yet so I can't say on them. For single color design I still prefer siser

• Like 1