I'm getting ready to do my first store front install. In the picture below the owner just wants me to remove the bottom Dr's name, then replace Poquette with Grace. Would you do that or would you replace the whole thing?

Basically he asked for the first one but I'm thinking about doing the second because it seems easier to make sure everything is lined up and that the color hasn't faded. This is for my wife's boss and she only wants me to charge him for what he wants. What would you guys do and what would you charge for it? The window is 57" wide and it's 14" from bottom to top of vinyl.

Also, do you have any tips for removing the vinyl from the glass? Tools, cleaner..?

post-21293-0-95646000-1334892307.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah i would just redo the whole thing. Cheaper faster and less hassle in the end. Either way he will get charged for a 24 x 57 inch piece of vinyl if i was to do it. As for removing it razor blades but be careful not to scratch the glass they do make plastic blades for it also. then just window cleaner.

Looks nice!

I would start with a razor blade scraper to remove it then come back some some cleaner that eats the sticky residue

If you buy Stainless Steel razor blades they won't scratch the glass. The cheap steel blades are the ones that you run the risk of scratching the glass.... I have a laser level that I use with a backdrop for the inside of the window when I have a long run like that makes install a breeze. If it were me I would inform the customer that replacing just the lettering he wants he risks the color difference like you stated. If it were me I would just redo the whole thing.... I do all my jobs as if they were for my own vehicle or building or whatever I am working on. The better the end product looks the better it is for business, for you and the customer.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll grab some stainless steel razor blades or some plastic ones before I remove the vinyl. I also read somewhere that ammonia helps with removing it. But if a razor blade and some cleaner will do the trick I will stick to that. Any other suggestions for cleaner, or will Windex do the trick?

As far as pricing goes, my wife wants me to cut him a deal because she says he's really cheap. That's why he is going with me and not a professional. I told her I'd do it for $40. $20 for the vinyl and $20 for the install. She was a little concerned it was too steep. But I wanted to see what others would charge for it to see if I'd actually be cutting him a deal or not.

I would stay away from any ammonia containing products including Windex. Clean window with RapidTac or a comparable solution.

Depending on how far the travel is that sounds VERY reasonable to me. As far as another cleaner to use I just use the same mixture I use when I tint and that is just plain cheap old baby shampoo mixed in with water. For a normal size spray bottle (32 oz) I only use maybe 2 tablespoons of soap... With removing vinyl the mixture isn't all that crucial but when tinting and installing vinyl you will notice a difference if the mixture is off.

As far as pricing goes, my wife wants me to cut him a deal because she says he's really cheap. That's why he is going with me and not a professional. I told her I'd do it for $40. $20 for the vinyl and $20 for the install. She was a little concerned it was too steep. But I wanted to see what others would charge for it to see if I'd actually be cutting him a deal or not.

Well if he is really cheap he will not go with a pro i'm sure they would run in the area of $100 + or more for a full reinstall.

I say you aren't ready to do paid jobs if you can't price. Not trying to down you...just saying.

I would do what the customer wanted . I would warn him with what has been said here . I don't think it is much of a problem with fading on white or aligning that ... Me , i would change the name for free if they let you do some advertising , even if was just putting a business crad holder inside ( ESPECIALLY since it is the wife's employer ) .

BTW , Carrie got married ?

• Like 1

I say you aren't ready to do paid jobs if you can't price. Not trying to down you...just saying.

How are you to learn if you dont start somewhere?

• Like 2

How are you to learn if you dont start somewhere?

We all have to start somewhere and asking questions is a good way to learn . I would check local shops to get a average of pricing in your area . I my self charge $40 to $50 bucks per man hour for installs that is at about at the top of the scale in my area. Charge what you are comfortable with for your skill level. And don't let nobodys comments deter you from trying . Good luck

Dan

• Like 2