BearlyRich

Suggestions on taping, transfering 24x36 sign?

I made a sign tonight for the wife. I've only done maybe a half dozen things so far and am very 'new' to this. The biggest problem I had was the tape wrinkling. The sign is 24"x36" and I only have 12" tape. Surprise, two strips of 12 inch tape do not cover a 24" sign... I'm learning :P So I ran the first tape down the 36 inches and it went perfectly. The second piece wrinkled twice. First one about six inches into the graphic and it looked like I had no hope of pulling it off so I continued. Then 2/3's of the way down it went bad... I did the best I could to fix it all and finally did get in onto the sign material but it took some careful lifting of some letters and lines to adjust them and get out the wrinkles and bubbles. Luckily, I'm not in this for business and have the time to learn. I did learn a lot by making this huge (for me) sign. I know I could have done it all in sections very easily, but I wanted to try it in one piece to see how it worked.

So, what I'm asking is how should this have been done? Would 24 inch tape have made it easier? I already know now that I need a tape roller/holder for such a project and will build one very soon. I am hoping that will help stop the wrinkling I encountered. May be it just went bad or may be I did it all wrong? May be there's just an easier way to do it? I had no real trouble getting the graphic onto the sign board, except for the deformed tape sections. I hinged it in the middle and did each side. That worked great and I was only off by maybe 1/16 down the edge. I just had too much trouble applying the tape. Overall it seems to me that inexperience put a dirty hand in this and what I did would have worked if I had more practice. And 'practice' was what this was all about in the first place. Well worth it for what we got out of it (wife is very happy) and I learned quite a bit. But if I did something terribly wrong, maybe someone could share and let me know?

Thanks for any opinions...

post-16768-0-38000200-1300426423_thumb.j

a couple of things - lay the tape down face up and then apply the graphic to the tape - yes bigger tape is going to help. as for the roll holder - I haven't used mine in over a year and a half. . . . on big graphics wife works better to lay it down face up . . .rolleyes.gif

a couple of things - lay the tape down face up and then apply the graphic to the tape - yes bigger tape is going to help. as for the roll holder - I haven't used mine in over a year and a half. . . . on big graphics wife works better to lay it down face up . . .rolleyes.gif

I just got it...TOOO funny...

Took me a few reading.. :D

;D

Definitely get larger tape. I have a big squeegee and only use it on things that are like 4-5 foot long. On anything I can do myself I do - just easier because you have to be careful with the big squeegee to make sure that there are no wrinkles when you start.

I have not tried laying the tape down - may just try that. I usually hold the tape folded in half over my sign, line it up with the center and lay it down - not sure if I am explaining it so you can picture it - but it works for me.

Kelly :)

Definitely get larger tape. I have a big squeegee and only use it on things that are like 4-5 foot long. On anything I can do myself I do - just easier because you have to be careful with the big squeegee to make sure that there are no wrinkles when you start.

I have not tried laying the tape down - may just try that. I usually hold the tape folded in half over my sign, line it up with the center and lay it down - not sure if I am explaining it so you can picture it - but it works for me.

the easiest and cheapest way:

unroll a few inches of the tape and get it started, nice and straight. Take an empty cardboard tube from a vinyl toll, place it up against the roll of application tape...roll it..pushing the tape as you go. Works like a charm. I saw a video somewhere that shows it better but can't find it now. I'll try and do a drawing or something later

• Like 1

I use the 12" tape and layer it.

I like that idea of laying it down face up, even with the tape :D I never thought of that. But that wouldn't work for the stiff sign material. Maybe half the problem solved and will have to try it.

The idea of using a large roll to flatten the tape as it goes sounds good too. That should also work great. 'Steam roller' type process. But a tube from an empty vinyl roll? haven't used that much yet :D

I think I will have to get larger tape also. The 12" would only cover with 3 passes and that's a big waste of tape. Luckily I had some used tape laying around that I cut to strip down the middle where the two 12 inch sections didn't meet.

Thanks for the great replies. So I'll have to make a roll holder just to try it. Have to try the tape face up and definitely try using a roller over the tape as it lays down. Then I'll have to see what size larger rolls the tape comes in. 24 inch tape seems like it would be awfully difficult to work with? Maybe two section of something like 14" Time to get an order together as I also want to try some heat transfer soon...

I have about 10 sizes of tape on hand....Makes for quicker masking and less waste...

And my "El Cheapo Tape Holder"post-8653-0-90800400-1300471367_thumb.jp

3/4" pvc and 2" metal spring clamps. I drilled a 1/4" hole in each clamp and bolted a 3/4" cap to each claim....

• Like 1

Hye guys,great replies,Have been having this trouble also with 24" maintape.I like the idea of applying the graphic to the tape.Also Roxanne how long have you had your tape holder?has it stood up without any problems?If so I will be interested in trying one of these too.Thanks

Cost me less than 7.00 and it does the job.....Gives me an extra hand and that makes a big difference at times....I wish the clamps were a little stronger...

That tape roller is a great idea. I never thought of PVC, mostly because I'm a wood workin type person. Now I have another option. Probably will depend on what mood I'm in at any particular moment or how I figure out the roll change on the roller...

And 10 sizes of tape on-hand??? I suppose this is not a hobby for you? I did some searching earlier and found all the sizes of tape. I'll probably order a roll of 16 inch. Along with my 12 inch, there would be enough overlap on the 24" vinyl in two passes. I somehow think using 24" tape might be more difficult to work with.

I made a tape holder out of some 1" x 6" inch scrap boards and an cutter stand I scrapped...I made a box with the boards, then mounted the vinyl roller support arms and bearing rollers from the stand in the box and used z brackets to hold the box on my cutting table.I set the tape on the rollers that came from the stand and it works with friction to apply the tape..The box is 8"s tall and 29"s wide like the stand was and I can run tape all the way to the end of my 8ft table without it touching in the middle...Works like a charm...I will try to take a pic and post it if I can get time...

I highly recommend it if you have an old stand you can steal from...

stetson5331

The PVC is not glued together so you can pull it apart and re-assemble it as required...

As far as tape my smallest size is 1 1/2" and the largest is 30"....It surprizes me how often I use the different sizes...

That tape roller is a great idea. I never thought of PVC, mostly because I'm a wood workin type person. Now I have another option. Probably will depend on what mood I'm in at any particular moment or how I figure out the roll change on the roller...

And 10 sizes of tape on-hand??? I suppose this is not a hobby for you? I did some searching earlier and found all the sizes of tape. I'll probably order a roll of 16 inch. Along with my 12 inch, there would be enough overlap on the 24" vinyl in two passes. I somehow think using 24" tape might be more difficult to work with.

I made my first one from scraps of wood I had and a broom handle I pulled out of someone's trash can/ Cost: $0.00

In design it was pretty much the same as Roxanne's.. and it worked great. I still use it but not for tape.

The PVC would seem to be much easier to make one with, but I'll still probably go with wood. No spare broom handles around but I do have a length of 3/4 dowel sitting out there that should work. I'm just working on how to mount it now. On one bench, I'd have to mount on the sides. The other bench would have to be at the end. So I need mounts that can rotate. Should be simple but I just haven't had the time yet to devote to it. All my "free" time went today making a wall art for my other daughter. She came home from college and saw her little sister's elephant... Didn't want her to feel left out. Boy did she love it. I just hope it sticks to her wall. Since it's a dorm room, can't actually stick anything to the walls. So I mounted everything onto a piece of clear static cling. I told her that if worse comes to worse, she could use a couple of thumb tacks in the corners...

A spare stand??? I feel overly lucky have the one stand for my PCut. I wish I had spares laying around :P

Maybe next weekend I'll have the time to make a roller?.....

With the pvc you can change the length of the cross piece....So I have a few different sizes for different size tapes....