Sign in to follow this  
hyptonic

Jetski Decal

Good job! if you use inkscape did you use the "brightness cutoff" to get that image? I find that using just that on images doesnt get enough of the detail so I usually end up doing the "brightness cutoff" and then the "edge detection" and then combine and fix it up to where Im ok with it.

Bbreault - I will have to try the combination of the two as you mentioned. I use about three different methods in inkscape to try to get close on the images I "borrow" inspiration from. Then it is a matter of cleaning up the image from there.

The other thing that Ive been doing ALOT lately is printing off a picture to one full page and using a light table and tracing all the details I want in either a black pen or a fine point sharpie, taking a 10Mp pic of it, putting it on the PC, open it with paint to white out most of the picture that isnt actual graphic and then importing it into inkscape and using ONLY the brightness cutoff. Its a LONG and time consuming process but it has worked flawlessly and ive done it about 6 times in the last week for anime stuff (one of which is actually for myself) The dark lines from the sharpie or pen make it really easy for inkscape to differentiate between graphic and not. The reason I started doing this was because the method I described before I noticed that the "edge detection" would make an image with like 50,000 nodes and made the program run sooooooo slow. If you dont have a light table dont worry, neither do I. Lol. Ive used everything from a little glass end table with a clip-on light underneath it to my laptop screen(carefull with the sharpie, it bleeds through, lmfao, and dont press too hard, its only a lcd) to my sliding glass door on a sunny day. BUT..light tables arent that expensive either. A guy I know from a tattoo parlor bought one brand spankin new for like $130, and its a nice one too (well, alot better than what ive used anyway).