NukleoN

Custom Art Decals

Here's another original-art piece, in decal form. I would have done 3-color but I only have 3-colors of vinyl right now and one is white. I pictured her with blue hair. :)

I had an easier time weeding (this is my 5th decal) since I learned to just make extra weed cuts with my x-acto, without cutting through the backing. The non-flash version came out too dark so I had to use flash. Need more light I guess when taking pics.

I need to figure out what to charge for something like this....ideas are welcome. I guess it depends on the buyer.

gothgirl_01.jpggothgirl_02.jpg

Guest kenya

That's surely different than any decal around here............ very cool too. :)

Hard to say about price........... what size is it? Looks like 8" x 6".

I would charge at least $15- 18 each. Remember it's one of a kind. 

Very nice( if designed for only one sale the price would have to be higher to cover design time if multiple my price would be about 20.00 3 color)

Dan

Thanks for looking, and for the nice comments! :) Certainly encouraging. 20 bucks sounds about right to me too, especially with weed-time and multiple layers.

I really appreciate the feedback. I'll post more in this thread later instead of making new threads. :)

Just consolidating designs in this threads. Here was my first art decal, called Flower Girl.

flower_girl.jpg

Boy wish I had that drawing talent just awesome work

Thanks for the kind words...much appreciated. I am working on a killer new decal, will upload it to this thread once it's done...gonna challenge my weeding skills again, no doubt.

As a matter of policy I can't give out EPS files for original work. My intention is to carve a bit of a niche with original art and sell these pieces through EBAY and my site. I am just building a portfolio at this point, coz I want everything I sell to be pictured in decal form (I think it feels more 'real' that way to customers). But yeah I don't think I want to compete with the 50 billion people selling skulls and peeing Calvins, so I figured I'd try this route. We'll see. Probably gonna be slow sales but I can charge a little more, and they're unique and I can probably get some non-original or simpler work incidentally.

Either way, I am loving vinyl-cutting. I am super glad I jumped in and bought one. These Chinese cutters do a pretty amazing job for the price. 

you are right on the money here! don't give away any original work! you've got it going on here! keep up the good work, and keep posting pics here! it is so difficult to be original in this world of mass production and knock offs.

bb

Thanks for the kind words...much appreciated. I am working on a killer new decal, will upload it to this thread once it's done...gonna challenge my weeding skills again, no doubt.

As a matter of policy I can't give out EPS files for original work. My intention is to carve a bit of a niche with original art and sell these pieces through EBAY and my site. I am just building a portfolio at this point, coz I want everything I sell to be pictured in decal form (I think it feels more 'real' that way to customers). But yeah I don't think I want to compete with the 50 billion people selling skulls and peeing Calvins, so I figured I'd try this route. We'll see. Probably gonna be slow sales but I can charge a little more, and they're unique and I can probably get some non-original or simpler work incidentally.

Either way, I am loving vinyl-cutting. I am super glad I jumped in and bought one. These Chinese cutters do a pretty amazing job for the price. 

you are right on the money here! don't give away any original work! you've got it going on here! keep up the good work, and keep posting pics here! it is so difficult to be original in this world of mass production and knock offs.

bb

Oh, I am not sure if I should call the person out here, but someone sent me this PM this morning (he's a member of this forum).

'Good Morning NukleoN

Was wondering if you could email me the EPS to the design that you did with "HERE LIES HOPE"

My girlfriend and I really like it, and instead of just taking it  we decided to ask you for a copy.

This is one of the reasons I post decal pictures and not line art. :-X The PM sounded like there were two options only...give it to me or I will just take it. When I offered to sell it and pay for shipping there was no response.

It's one thing to ask for the EPS, it's another to talk about taking it anyway (like there are only two choices). Here's a third choice, people should respect the copyrights of others or at least support their business if you like their work. I would do the same if I wanted to buy someone's work. The money is nothing compared to the potential aggravation from copyright infringement, and being an out-of-work video game artist I got all the time in the world to pursue copyright infringement. ;)  

It's too bad that I've had my cutter a whole week, just made some decals from my own art and already I gotta worry about people stealing my stuff. I'd be glad to draw for other people for a reasonable fee but omg this PM really bothered me. (This is not directed at those simply asking for the EPS, but the PM I got and quoted). Am I making too much of it? Maybe, but I still found it disturbing.

Anyway, for the guy who wrote that (since you're probably not gonna write me another PM), I am glad you like my work but please, I'd rather you didn't just take my work any more than you'd like anyone taking yours. I offered to sell you 'Here Lies Hope' in your choice of colors, with the 12 dollar shipping to your country for 30 bucks total. I'd say that's a good deal.  

your work rocks.  I wouldn't give that away and I'd definitely do my best to protect it. 

your work rocks.  I wouldn't give that away and I'd definitely do my best to protect it.  

Thanks, I am certainly gonna do my level best. :-X Here's the latest:

Monstah Fish!

Not a bad weed....I find it's kinda relaxing to weed while I am watching TV or something. I could see this with a second color too, probably will do that later when I actually get more colored vinyl!

Monstah_Fish.jpg

would you ever sell your work digitally? reason I ask is that would make a killer tattoo, and I know shops pay big bucks for good, original flash

bb

Oh, I am not sure if I should call the person out here, but someone sent me this PM this morning (he's a member of this forum).

'Good Morning NukleoN

Was wondering if you could email me the EPS to the design that you did with "HERE LIES HOPE"

My girlfriend and I really like it, and instead of just taking it  we decided to ask you for a copy.

This is one of the reasons I post decal pictures and not line art. ;) The PM sounded like there were two options only...give it to me or I will just take it. When I offered to sell it and pay for shipping there was no response.

It's one thing to ask for the EPS, it's another to talk about taking it anyway (like there are only two choices). Here's a third choice, people should respect the copyrights of others or at least support their business if you like their work. I would do the same if I wanted to buy someone's work. The money is nothing compared to the potential aggravation from copyright infringement, and being an out-of-work video game artist I got all the time in the world to pursue copyright infringement. ;D  

It's too bad that I've had my cutter a whole week, just made some decals from my own art and already I gotta worry about people stealing my stuff. I'd be glad to draw for other people for a reasonable fee but omg this PM really bothered me. (This is not directed at those simply asking for the EPS, but the PM I got and quoted). Am I making too much of it? Maybe, but I still found it disturbing.

Anyway, for the guy who wrote that (since you're probably not gonna write me another PM), I am glad you like my work but please, I'd rather you didn't just take my work any more than you'd like anyone taking yours. I offered to sell you 'Here Lies Hope' in your choice of colors, with the 12 dollar shipping to your country for 30 bucks total. I'd say that's a good deal.  

sad to sayit, but that guy has probably already vectorized it and cut one by now. i saved gothgirl2 and vectorized a decent copy as an experiment. i then deleted the whole project. i would make your copywright a big watermark across the whole picture. also try to make them a little less clear to make it harder to vectorize. and keep up the good work! :-X

bb

incredible work! wish I had that kind of talent and no I would not give them away!  Love your work!

Just visited your website.  Sweet work on there too. 

Thanks for all the awesome commentary and for looking. The feedback is great, and I am still amazed at what we can do with these cutters.

*sigh* yeah, I guess I should be watermarking this stuff. Hate to do it, and I know that wouldn't stop many of us who are Photoshop pros.

CPwall, I'd gladly sell my art to tat shops if there were any who wanted an exclusive right to something. If you know anyone feel free to drop me a PM. I've done one tat already...well, a seahorse design not the tat itself. I think a lot of tattoo artists are great artists in their own right, and might be hesitant to look for art outside of their own....but I guess sometimes it's easier for a walk-in to point at a pic and say 'put that on my shoulder!'. :-X So I understand why they buy original art from outside, especially if was a piece they liked. Tattoo place makes money and no extra time spent drawing and such.

;)

excellent work!! 

Let's be honest here, the guy who wanted to just take your work has no "F-N" CLUE!  nice that he asked but....... I would never post or give my original work away, that's what makes you unique, that's what's going to keep you going in the future....read the responses.....

Keep up the great work

NukleoN,

You do awesome work! I especially enjoyed your "Monstah Fish". My wife can draw like that, but, unfortunately for me, only when she's in the mood for it. I have been teaching her how to use SB and my little Refine in the hopes that she might like it enough to want to draw more...and who knows? I may end up producing original artwork of this quality with her help at some point in time. Till then I'll just keep on plugging away trying to rise above mediocrity. Good work, seriously.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Z

Guest Schramm

Dude, keep your work to yourself!  The net is full of pirates with absolutley 0 imagination who prey on people like you with mega talent...  Trust me when I say keep it to yourself.  It takes big balls to ask for someone to give you their original artwork but even bigger ones TO TAKE IT!!!  I hate theives!