Sign in to follow this  
devine_design

Serial Port or USB

I have a Laser Point 24" w/ Contour Cut, I have a large vacant serial port available on my computer, is it ok to use an adapter that changes the plug, or should I go USB?  I do not have an available small port.

A 25 to 9 pin serial converter would do the trick.

Must be cheap to buy. Just google for it.

Only if needed I would grab the USB cable.

It can work without any problem but can also give you hard days.

Paco

If you can cut trouble-free using a USB, then stick to that. If you run into issues (i.e. slash cuts in the vinyl, cutter freezing during the cut process, etc.) then go to serial. The serial port is not "large". If you're looking at a "large" port, then you're probably looking at a parallel port meant for printers. A serial port will be about the same size as a standard video port.

If USB doesn't work for you, and you actually don't have a serial port (most new computer are not manufactured with serial ports), then you can purchase a keyspan adapter. It converts the serial port (on the cutter side), to connect via a USB port on the computer. You can find them at most computer store, even radio shack, but the cheapest is probably eBay.

I personally run my LP via USB and any issues that I've run into were strictly user-error and not hardware  :-  Although I will admit that I do have a keyspan for the "just in case" scenario.

Good luck!

BTW - If you decide to try the USB route, make sure that you get a direct connection from LP to computer, and not through a hub or an extension. Those have been known to create issues with clean communication to the cutter.

USB for me is the best from the standpoint of troubleshooting. It is not a passive port like a serial port it presents a user with feedback if it is operational and the lack of that feedback is an indicator of an issue. A serial port could have an issue and you would never know if it was the port or the device connecting to it until you moved through the process of elimination.

From the standpoint of avoiding these freezes, slash cuts, and phantom cut lines... Well I don't know, simply because I have seen these on both serial and USB connections. Later this year when we start shipping cutters with actual USB controllers things will get even better ... Whether you use the USB or Serial connection you are still passing through a serial controller... The USB connection is just a converter at this point and not a controller. So your not really receiving any of the benefits of a USB connection at this point.

-Brandon

Serial for me. I had nothing but trouble with USB and my PCut. As soon as I switched to serial I have NEVER had a cut that didn't complete or slashed through.

I run 2 cutter,both serial. It was plug it in,.and go for me. No problems at all.

Seems that there are less issues when running Serial, so use it if you have the port.

Serial definitely the way to go if you can.  Are you sure you have a huge serial port (COM) and not a parallel port (LPT)?  I haven't seen a 25 pin serial port in forever...

You guys really drink this serial port "kool aid" ... The serial port is a viable port and I don't believe there is any difference between the two types of ports. As far as the technology behind them USB is the winner hands down. USB has not really been given a fair shake in the cutter world because very few cutters, maybe 3 that I can think of, actually use a full implemntation of USB. Most of these cutters are using a serial controller with a USB converter.

Still my main point is un-shakeable, USB is easier to troubleshoot and understand what is wrong if there is an issue of connectivity. I understand the "Status Quo" folks who have had their serial ports plugged in for as long as you can remember but that doesn't mean something is good or better. Heck that means the serial port is just doing what it is supposed to do. If something were to say happen to your serial port, some kind of damage, you would loose connectivity but your computer would not say a thing to you. 9 times out of 10 if there is an issue with USB the device is going to throw an error and alert you. That is a worth while feature and it cuts down on time to figure out what is wrong, period.

You guys really drink this serial port "kool aid" ... The serial port is a viable port and I don't believe there is any difference between the two types of ports. As far as the technology behind them USB is the winner hands down. USB has not really been given a fair shake in the cutter world because very few cutters, maybe 3 that I can think of, actually use a full implemntation of USB. Most of these cutters are using a serial controller with a USB converter.

Still my main point is un-shakeable, USB is easier to troubleshoot and understand what is wrong if there is an issue of connectivity. I understand the "Status Quo" folks who have had their serial ports plugged in for as long as you can remember but that doesn't mean something is good or better. Heck that means the serial port is just doing what it is supposed to do. If something were to say happen to your serial port, some kind of damage, you would loose connectivity but your computer would not say a thing to you. 9 times out of 10 if there is an issue with USB the device is going to throw an error and alert you. That is a worth while feature and it cuts down on time to figure out what is wrong, period.

While the technology behind it is all well and good it don't mean a hill of beans when you just wasted 10 yards of vinyl because your USB dropped mid cut. Sure I can trouble shoot it but I am still out some cash. I had this happen a number of times with my PCut. Has never happened since I swithced to serial port. Do any of the cutters that USCutter sell "actually use a full implemntation of USB"? Until I get a cutter that does I'm going serial port.

PC-Mac, USB-Serial, whatever works is what I use.  With no extra driver to load and a rock solid connection - I'll go with serial until the current implementation of USB improves. 

USB ports do not only cause problems with plotters, quite a lot of other hardware functions poorly as well.

Yep, whatever works best for your particular setup- go with it. If it is the USB Serial Conversion that works better- use it. If direct Serial without any drivers to worry about keeping up to date works better for ya- use it.

That being said, why is it that there is no response from the USB when it's slashing the vinyl, or when it just stops in the middle of a project? Where is the troubleshooting there?

I'm thinking those who needed to go from USB to serial, whether direct or serial, simply didn't troubleshoot properly? Instead they should've taken the time to call tech support for proper toubleshooting advice?

Where is your proof that it is the USB causing these problems? The USB and the Serial ports use the same controller chip is most circumstances...?

I mean some of these blanket statements are a little mis-leading... I do this everyday and I don't experience this at all.

Where is your proof that it is the USB causing these problems? The USB and the Serial ports use the same controller chip is most circumstances...?

I mean some of these blanket statements are a little mis-leading... I do this everyday and I don't experience this at all.

If you read the posts of people having communication issues with their cutters I would estimate it is about 5 to 1 in favor of USB connections. As Haumana said I probably could have troubleshot the USB issue and fixed it. I suspect it was/is a bad port on the cutter motherboard but I can't swear to that. I was ready to pitch the thing in the trash it was so frustrating. Switching to a Serial connection fixed my problem and was all the proof I needed. 

where's the proof that it's not?

How can people troubleshoot the usb when it is not giving any feedback?

Why is it that many here have switched to serial, and it has resolved the various issues they were experiencing?

Like Jay said, he switched to serial and that was all the proof he needed ... as many others have.

I would have to agree here. Check the posts. In almost every instance,switching to serial solved the problem. I never had any of my computers drop the connection with serial..happens on a regular basis with USB.

Yes, USB is easier to troubleshoot. WHY? Because serial almost never requires it. Plug it in,get the port right,and the rest of the settings and away you go.

The same,however can be said of USB IF you know what you are doing and IF you do it exactly right. Problem is, not many people do.

How many times have I said...a cutter is NOT a $39 printer from Walmart. And you can't expect it to be as easy.

Yes,the controller chips might be the same...but the cables themselves are not. ON my refine, I had to use duct tape to keep the USB from dropping mid-cut because the connection was so loose. The vibration of the cutter itself was causing it to wiggle back and forth,dropping the connection as it did so.

So I switched to Serial and 9 months later,not a single dropped connection or an inch of ruined vinyl.

I agree completely with everything you said John... BUT ... Just because people switch to serial and do not have a problem does not mean they found a solution to their issue. When you change to a serial connection a lot of other settings that could also be culprits get reset... Additionally once people switch from one interface to another they tend to more thoroughly troubleshoot their issue because they now look beyond the interface as an issue...

I imagine a world without a serial connection because that is the future, getting on board now just allows you to accumulate experience for the future. I unhook and hookup 10+ cutters a day all via USB - never a problem.

yeah and I thought Firewire was gonna push out USB...boy was I wrong on that one.

yeah and I thought Firewire was gonna push out USB...boy was I wrong on that one.

+1

... Just because people switch to serial and do not have a problem does not mean they found a solution to their issue ...

Well, um, actually, yes they have...

It probably would have if they had not come out with USB 2.0.

... Just because people switch to serial and do not have a problem does not mean they found a solution to their issue ...

Well, um, actually, yes they have...

Ummmm.... thankyou.gif

It probably would have if they had not come out with USB 2.0.

True that.