Sign in to follow this  
Danieve

newbie needs help!

I just got my LP24 and was trying to set it up.  I was going through the paperwork that came in the box and want to know if it is order specific? 

Can someone please dumb done the order things should be installed/hooked-up?  Does the cutter need to be hooked up to a computer before it will show any signs of life?  I was following the page as I came to them and even though the cutter is plugged in to the wall and turned on there is no sign of life on the control panel 7 I can't adjust the vinyl.  This is my first cutter and I'm completely worried about messing things up (either the cutter or my laptop).

I have a windows xp laptop (the only compter I have right now), usb cable, and received singblazer elements with the cutter (but haven't installed it yet).

I was hoping to get it set up over the weekend but am afraid I won't be able to get help as I do it.  HELP!!!

Danielle :thumbsup:

Unit does not have to be plugged in to the computer to turn on, no. When you plug it in and turn it on, do you here the fan, or see anything on the display? Have you tried another outlet or power cord?

...  I was following the page as I came to them and even though the cutter is plugged in to the wall and turned on there is no sign of life on the control panel...

Danielle :thumbsup:

Is the cutting powering up at all? If there is absolutely no power, then you won't be able to adjust anything, muchless the vinyl via the cutter. If it's powering up, but it's not responsive, check to make sure that the red cutting carriage is NOT pressing down upon either of the red kill buttons (located on the sides of the inside of the cutting window, where the vinyl feeds from the back to front). If the carriage is pressing down upon one of the buttons, turn off the cutter, and gently move the carriage away from the button by hand.

Good luck.  :thumbsup:

The cutter finally came to life, but it sure takes a long time from turn on to do it! 

I was able to cut a test square, but cannot get my laptop to send anyhting to be cut.  I kept getting an error until I tried a few different ports.  Then it finally said it was sending to the cutter, but nothing ever happened.  Should I invest in a keyspan to see if not using the USB makes a difference?  What are the chances that someone has written up some very basic instructions for us newbies?

I have to work tomorrow but should be home around 3ish PST.  Can I call to have someone walk me through the set-up/installation process at UScutter? 

I'm not sure if I should get a different software package to make my life easier or not.  What other program works with the laserpoint? 

Maybe I should change my name to '2 many questions"

I've got a call & e-mail in to tech support.  I bought a serial adapter yesterday & was finally able to make a few cuts, although I'm still not exactly sure how I did it!

Is there a way to just cut from Illustrator withouth iusing SBE or another program?  I want to do jersey lettering in 2 colors.  Maybe someone can tell me how to do this in SBE?

I'll be home around 3:15 today so maybe I can get ahold of tech support then.

You will not be able to cut/ plot directly from Adobe, sorry. If you were able to cut something, sounds like you had it configured correctly. For layering vinyl, you might find something in the instructional contribution section.

try YouTube as well. You can just do a general search (i.e. layering vinyl, etc.).