Sign in to follow this  
Rooster

signcut not recognizing outlines of text from AI

I am exporting a file created in Illustrator 9 that has a outline in magenta around a yellow letter. I always create 2 sets of the same text to get the outline to appear clean and not distort the font. So I created all my yellow type, then copied and pasted it in place behind the first set of type. i then changed the color to magenta and added a stroke to the type. I export it and pull it in to sign cut and it shows up but my bottom layer of text is the same size as the top layer and the outlined stroke is not recognized. HELP!

Also, the test cut and test feed sections are greyed out?

Signcut says it is made for US Cutter, shouldnt all the features work on all your plotters?

Thanks,

Rooster

I don't know if this helps,but with .ai files,I've always had problems with yellow. Anyway,I always convert to .eps. never had any problems with that.

My SignCut is the same way, with TestFeed and TestCut greyed out, as well as the Read Cutter button on the main screen. I think it is because the cutter does not have that capability, so SignCut will not allow you to click on it.

I was told by the signcut tech that some of the functions that are greyed out (advance after cut,for example)...the fault is not the software,but the cutter itself not being able to recognize the command.

:glasses2:  OK guys after some serious head busting, I got this figured out. Signcut doesnt recognize a outline stroke around type, so if you want to outline your font in a different color this is how its done in Illustrator. Make your type,  copy and paste it. Send the second layer of type to back and position it behind the first layer of type. Convert the first layer to outlines, but not the second layer! Select the second layer, go to effects/ path/ offset path. Test different values until you get the lok you want. You will see that this effect gives your font a outlined appearance, but were not done there. Once you have the look you want, go back to effects/pathfinder/merge. This merges the path so you have no overlapping and it creates a nice background giving your type a outlined look and will pull right in to signcut with no problems.

Thanks signcut for a whole lot of nothing. Techs there have little or no knowledge of Illustrator yet they say AI files work the best, lmao, people say anything nowadays. 

Hey, I got a rabbit for sale, he just looks like a dog. But honestly he is a rabbit, just a big one!!!!!!!

It has been said by many on this forum,including the US cutter techs and myself,that the best format for signcut is .eps.