Sign in to follow this  
Stoke

Text cutting problems

When I cut small graphics, etc. there are usually no problems.  When I attempt to cut text/letters though, its just short of a disaster.  The cutter never seems to completely cut each letter, leaving me lots of xacto work to do while weeding.  Also, the blade seems to rip and tear the vinyl at the point where it starts to cut the letter. 

I have the blade adjusted per the information on these forums (just a tiny bit sticking out of the holder), I tried using a brand new blade, and I tried the cutter at speeds from 20 to 50. 

Again, graphics turn out fine with none of the above problems.  Its just when I try to cut text.  And it doesnt seem to matter how large the text is.

Is there something I'm just missing or is it (as I susupect) just operator error?

Ok, that helped a little - mostly with the letters being completely cut.  But I still have the tears where the cuts start on each letter.

But please explain to me what this setting is and what it does.

I do appreciate the help!  :thumbsup:

Is your blade in loose, seems like it may be dragging a bit before turning in the right direction could it be a dull blade?

have you zoomed in REALLY close to your font to make sure it's not the font.  Because most fonts get printed at a font size of 10 or 12, any imperfections in fonts might be transparent while printing, but visible when cutting.

Longshot, but I'd double check the fonts by zooming in VERY CLOSE to where they are having problems cutting to make sure it's not the font.

Blade offset, as I understand it, is compensation for the width of the blade.  Some machines automatically compensate for this, while others don't.

Aside from that, Ken should hopefully be able to get you square but I wanted to toss that out there about the font.  Some people don't realize, that there really ARE bad fonts out there

The tears usually happen when too much blade is exposed. You should hardly be able to see any of the blade sticking out of your balde holder with the human eye. I mean barely see the tip of the blade.

I have it adjusted to the "half of a credit card thickness" now...  i'll shorten it some more and see what happens.... 

I have it adjusted to the "half of a credit card thickness" now...  i'll shorten it some more and see what happens.... 

Set your pressure ont he cutter to at least 120 or higher, and if it cuts too deep, retract the blade in the blade holder, but do not lower the pressure below 120.

It is set to 120 now.  I am also cutting Oracal 641 vinyl which I assume is decent material.

I didnt get to try anything else last night.  I will work on it some more over the weekend.

Thanks for the help Ken and to the others that offered suggestions!

Its much better than it was but there are still some problems.  It seems to do better towards the edges of the vinyl and not as well in the center.  Its almost as if the vinyl is not totally laying flat across the cutting strip.

Its much better than it was but there are still some problems.  It seems to do better towards the edges of the vinyl and not as well in the center.  Its almost as if the vinyl is not totally laying flat across the cutting strip.

Is the cutting strip bowing up towards the middle?

No, its nice and flat.  And again, it only seems to happen with next and not any other graphic/image.