Sign in to follow this  
Vermonster

Refine Inconsistency in cuts?

Does anyone who maybe does some repeat cuts of the same graphics notice anything?

I decided I was going to open the side of the machine, put the broken piece back where it belongs and try to cut something. I've had this thing well over a week at this point and cut one thing...and that was hosed up...

uscutter1.jpg

I doubled this image into one file and sent it to the plotter... I just reverse weeded one because it's going to be etched on a mug.  Well, they both were supposed to, but one is obviously a recut so I weeded it normally...

I'm also still noticing things not closing the cuts very well here and there, but not ready to point the finger at the plotter. I'm going to cut some old school graphics I had back when I was running a Roland for comparison...once we get the piece swapped....

Anyway, I'm thinking it might not be a roller adjustment thing since it's already marring the vinyl right out of the box.  Anyone else notice this sort of thing?  Of course, having that broken piece, and knowing it did come loose while cutting this (allbeit on the other side though and not while cutting the messed up area) maybe it's got something to do with that... I dunno..

Thoughts?

the only time I have a crowded cut like the one on the lft is when the vinyl snags..or jerks,as it feeds through. THis happens when I forget to roll out enough vinyl for the cut. Of course I use full 50 yard rolls and they are heavy and sometimes they don't feed as well as they should.

By marring the vinyl...do you mean the imprint of the feed roller?

I can use two rolls of vinyl,one after the other...one will imprint,one will not. I think it's the vinyl more than the cutter. IN any case,the imprints come out when applied.

wait and see what happens when you get the part replaced. Remember that the cuts down the roll are totally controlled by the roller. One slip,one hesitation,and problems happen.

Yeah, I'm just trying to get a feel if this is something other Refine owners have seen.  I understand that there are alot of variables.  I only have 2 other plotters to base this one off of... but I didn't seem to have these problems with the last two... but it definitely COULD be the piece that holds the grit roller. I'm kinda hoping it is.

I manually put it back, but you never know, it may be moving around in there a bit.  I know this stock of vinyl specifically was from a 50 yd roll I got and it's gone through 2 other plotters fine so that's kind of what I based what I've seen off of....

Almost looks like the script text was welded for the good one, but not welded for the other?

Nope... I created one, copy/pasted it side by side.

If it wasn't welded in one, it would have cut like that in both as one is just a duplicate (cut/paste)

Well, the other thing is if you look at the distance between the C and the K - Welding it wouldn't move the letter over 1/4 of an inch

as I said...I have seen it. But it wasn't the cutter...it was as simple as a full roll of vinyl being a bit too heavy for the rollers to pull through smoothly. I have since learned to make SURE that enough vinyl is rolled off the roll.

IN fact,in almost 18 months I haven't had a single problem or bad cut with my refine that wasn't my own fault. IT's probably paid for itself 100 times.

well, I figured I'd give it a go ahead for a little sticker my wife has been asking me to make for a while...

This time, I make sure the piece was in it's proper place and watched it very closely.  It didn't move at all...so I'm assuming the missing clip didn't really come into play on this.  Piece sat in place fine on this one... any suggestions? 

I've included the actual file too...if someone wants to take a look at it or try to cut it...

The fonts are

BLADES  (I've cut this exact font a million times)

Sampter Script (a letterhead font which was welded down) which I've also used a zillion times

The Application I'm designing in is CorelX3 and Sending to the plotter using SignCut - I've gone through their Tech support to verify settings and everything is set up from a software standpoint.   

Machine is set to 24 Inch/40g

Here are some of the missed cuts on this file (there are other portions that did not cut properly).  I'm using Fellers ShineRite vinyl (pre-cut piece) that I've used in other plotters before...and have been using for years with no issues...

GEDC1542.jpg

width=800 height=600http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii275/reefitup/GEDC1544.jpg[/img]

width=800 height=600http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii275/reefitup/GEDC1546.jpg[/img]

I'm COMPLETELY wide open for suggestions as I'm starting to look at this in my mind as maybe this missing clip isn't going to solve my issue.  I'm going to be CHAPPED if I get the part and it's still cutting like this....

gymbobimbo.eps

gymbobimbo.eps

it cut perfect for me. Your cuts look like the vinyl is shifting. OR a blade offset issue.

Well, I'm not sure - should the pinch rollers go much tighter?  They're already leaving the grit roller marks in the vinyl.  I didn't think it would be a slipping issue as ALL the top circles in the "B" are not closed properly, but the bottoms are.  All the back straight lines on the "B" are not closed properly.  There's consistency in what's not cutting properly... 

My offset is 0.012 which is the default in SignCut... Anyone know another setting that works?  What are you using to send it to the cutter?

Well, I figured I'd give the test cut on the plotter itself a whirl... here's the results...  UGH...

I guess maybe something is just flat out wrong with the unit??   I've always operated under the assumption based on what I've read/saw, that if the test cut is no good cutting right from the plotter, then the issue is with the machine..   That true?

GEDC1553.jpg

width=800 height=600http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii275/reefitup/GEDC1557.jpg[/img]

width=800 height=600http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii275/reefitup/GEDC1551.jpg[/img]

you have checked to make sure that the carriage is properly seated on the tracks,right? They often come off during shipping. MIne had.

not in the shop now, I'll have a look in the morning. Someone posted some pics awhile back of how it should be.

After seeing the updates to this thread, I am glad we are getting you another unit. With the broken bracket replaced, I am not sure we would have resolved everything.

Same Here  :thumbsup:

When that black plastic bracket is put into place, it's ok and appears to be working ok.  It's when it slowly vibrates out of place that the roller becomes unstable. 

After I saw the test cut, I kind of hung it up ;D

I'm getting excited again to get up and running :)