OZZIEIMAC

imac software & cutter compatibility

Hello All,

Would appreciate if someone could advise me whats the best combination of cutter and software for the latest IMAC 3GHZ.Everyone seems to have something different.I was just advised by the supplier of Kingcut pro that it is not compatible with the Macs.

1) Home base business Budget $1000

2) Small stickers,labels and small car graphics.Maybe be t-shirt transfers later.

3) What mix of software & cutter have shown to be work well on the Imacs?

Appreciate your advice.

PJ  :)

most Mac users that I know use SignCut (the Mac Version) for the actual cutting, and do the designs in INkscape, AI,or Corel.

Before they went into the toilet,SignBlazer was working on a Mac Version.

I have no idea why the makers of Sign Software ignore the mac users..true they are a very small percentage of computer users,overall..but they are a LARGE percentage in the graphics design business. Go figure.

Hello,

I have an iMac - see my signature for the specs and set up I use. I have no troubles with using the Mac (make sure you get a Keyspan serial to USB converter). Let me know if you have any questions...

Thanks for the feedback Guys,yes i am surprised alot of people are using PC in these sorts of industry,hey dont get me wrong i have a PC too and works great,i just feel the MAC would be better suited for this style of work.

Is it the cutters or the software that dont go well with the Macs?

Would you or anyone else like to advise what's the most commonly used  stable vinyl cutter with a MAC these day? .Budget is up to $1000.

Appreciate your help

PJ

I don't know which is the most common model used cutter-wise. I use a Mac since my main proffession is graphic design. I like the Laserpoint. I have not used the "contour cutting" feature yet. I found out that after I bought the cutter that I will do most work with the heat set vinyl instead of trying to contour cut decals.

I am pretty much on the same path as the thread starter.  I have a imac and I am currently shopping for a plotter.  The interesting bit about so many people using pc over mac is Mac has superb connection ports.  I am very interested in the laser 24.  What is the best cutter software for the mac?

I am pretty much on the same path as the thread starter.  I have a imac and I am currently shopping for a plotter.  The interesting bit about so many people using pc over mac is Mac has superb connection ports.  I am very interested in the laser 24.  What is the best cutter software for the mac?

I have the Laserpoint 24. It came with SignCut X2. I don't think it has as many features or is as user-friendly as the PC software (from the tutorials I have watched), but it does the job just fine. I hope that helps.

Well if you feel like it gets the job done.  I don't have all the bells and whistles (especially because my pocket won't allow it), can you tell me the restrictions you have and would they exist if you used a pc.  I have both but i love my mac. 

Well if you feel like it gets the job done.  I don't have all the bells and whistles (especially because my pocket won't allow it), can you tell me the restrictions you have and would they exist if you used a pc.  I have both but i love my mac. 

I have not run into any restrictions with cutting as of yet. I guess that if you are not into the contour cutting, you can get a different model. I have not tried to contour cut yet, either, so I don't know what the issues with that are. 

Mainly i'm interested in doing signs, auto decals, etc.  I just dont to have problems doing multi color jobs.  If i use the software that comes with it, I won't have problems.  I have Adobe Illustrator, and i am well skilled in color sep doing printing jobs.  Do you set .eps the same way for the vinyl cutter.

i use mac.....        i had to buy signcutx2.....  never got it to work. i ended up getting a loaner pc to use for cutting. so now i design in ai on my mac and cut from signblazer on my pc.......    i still need to netwerk them together, its such a pain to have to use a thumb drive all the time.....

Mainly i'm interested in doing signs, auto decals, etc.  I just dont to have problems doing multi color jobs.  If i use the software that comes with it, I won't have problems.  I have Adobe Illustrator, and i am well skilled in color sep doing printing jobs.  Do you set .eps the same way for the vinyl cutter.

SignCut separates the files according to the colors in your eps file.

well that is good to know.  If you dont want to have your pc and mac networke, I would suggest investing in a mobile me account and use their iDisk feature.  I have one and I am a prepress manager for a printing company and it comes in handy daily.  The only restriction to mobile me is that you can only transfer 200 gb a month but if you are only doing eps files that would be pretty much impossible.  all you need is internet connection on both computers.....i use a wireless linksys network.  WORKS fabulous.  it is har to make a pc an mac work fluently on a network 2gether.

I'm all about mobileme but why not use a USB thumbdrive? As far as using a Mac to design and PC to cut- so far I believe that most of the people having issues making Signcut work are on older non Intel Macs. I wasn't able to make the USB connection work at first so I got the keyspan serial to usb adapter. Now if I use the keyspan driver with just the USB cable that seems to works as well. I'm running a MacBook Pro and 10.5.5.