Sign in to follow this  
bordings

What should I buy??

I am wanting to do simple vinyl projects. My children's name to put on the wall, sayings to put on the wall, car monograms, and vinyl names to put on various jars and plates and that sort of stuff. Nothing heavy duty really. I don't want to spend a lot of money and I don't need to create anything super large. For what I want to do can someone reccomend a good cutter. $400 is about the most I want to spend.

I am not going to to be designing anything really hopefully I will be able to get all of the graphics I want from here, ie...stick family people. What software would I need for something like this?

Thanks for any help any one can throw my way!

Misty

I am not going to to be designing anything really

Famous last words  :P

As far as the plotter.  Before buying one,  I suggest you read as much as possibe, do as much research as possible.  There's nothing worse than getting something that doesn't do what you bought it to do :P   We don't want you trying to run jpg's through it   ;)

I would think that either a 12" or 24/25" plotter would be sufficient for what you're looking for. 

I would go with something like the Refine...  http://www.uscutterdirect.com/USCutter-MH-Vinyl-Cutter--12-25-33-or-50-inch_p_4-25.html

Buying from that site gives you a 1 yr warrant, or you can buy that model for anywhere from $250 -$325 on Ebay but it comes with a 180 day warranty....

If you have the money but just dont want to spend it...then change your mind and go with the COPAM

Hi Misty , I'm not sure which model is best for you in that price range . I think the Copam 2500 ( 24" which is the best size ) is the best buy . After reading all the posts for the last year , I think the quality makes it worth the extra $ . I think you can get 1 for $650 ( that's what i got , I bought the extra years warranty & wished I had saved the $99 , as the quality of the cutter & the help from USCutter is enough )  All i had was basic AOL computer skill ( No real computer skill or knowledge )  & a little knowledge from a friend who has made vinyl signs for the past 20 some years . After reading & asking , getting help from everybody , especially Ken  , I can make what i want  :P . I have only made stuff for myself & friends who i have not charged a penny . When i semi-retire , I'm gonna have a trailer set up for car races , auctions etc .  USCutter & this forum is the best unless you have an unlimited expense account . ;)

This part is for everybody thinking about buying or having bought a cutter , Patience is what is important . ( I'm gonna vent a little towards other impatient posts  :) ) IF anybody "needs " a cutter etc RIGHT now , go somewhere that you can carry the cutter out of the store with you . If you want to save a MAJOR amount of money , buy from USCutter & have it shipped ( It would be great to be near enough to walk into a USCutter business ) . Shipping takes time & no business is gonna act like it's a Nascar pitstop as soon as you pay for the cutter . IF anybody NEEDS to depend on a computer, cutter or software , have a tech on the payroll ( that would save some time , but still problems will arise ) . Don't expect custom service at wholesale prices . I thought about it for a month & bought a cutter , then I wanted it the next day !!!  :P  . I guess you can tell i don't like it when people act bad towards USCutter & the employees . I've been a business owner the past 32 years & they do a GREAT job . 99.9 % of the time , problems are settings issue or the owner not knowing things ( ALL of my problems was that )

( back to Misty )  Have confidence that you will be able to do what you want & get plenty of support . But watch out , there are some on here that have as much HUMOR , as some do grouchyness  :)  ( disclaimer ; I did NOT say Haumana  :P  ;D ;D )

regards , Rodger