jenni

Tips on getting new business?

I am new to the vinyl sign business (still wet behind the ears) and am trying to write up a business plan and methods for getting new business.  How can I get new business?  Any creative ways you all have used to get new business?  Any gorilla marketing ideas?  Thanks so much!

I get business by wearing my own shirts.

You can use your car for advertisement. Handle business cards and flyers.

JOe

Oh and don't forget a few freebies here and there, tend to work out as well.

I'm also tempted just to get my business kickstarted is let them know for everyone they refer to us and they say they were referred by them, the original customer gets 10% off the next order!

Jenny

Thanks Joe...just came up with that one this morning..lol

So if your one customer refers 3 people and they let you know that...the first customer actually gets 10% off their next 3 orders!  A win-win situation.

Jen

You need 5 to stay alive.... 

From a marketing standpoint, you need 5 lead sources to stay alive.  5 Different sources generating leads for you.  What lead sources?  Well, that's different area by area and company by company.  It's part of how willing you are to spend some money, and what kind of signs and clients you're looking for. 

You need that business plan.  It should incorporate this golden rule.  You should allocate some money to grow your business, but I understand starting out that can be difficult. 

Let's say you do the following (some commonly done stuff, not necessarily recommendations) :

1.  Signs at Intersections

2.  Handing out Flyers to Businesses

3.  Small Add in Penny Saver Magazine

4.  Craigslist Ad

5.  Weekend Flea Market Booth

That's 5 lead sources.  You can't just say "Ok, I have 5, I'm done...and I'm going to be successful"  B)  You have to evaluate those 5 lead sources and the costs/benefits associated with them.  If one isn't working, ditch it and replace it with another one. 

You will NEVER have enough leads, you will ALWAYS be looking for new and better lead sources that have a higher yield with a lower investment. 

One thing I've always said I was going to try, and just never did...

Get a company like Salesgenie.com and get a list of new businesses in the area.  I've used this company in particular in years past and was happy with the accuracy.  Anyway, new businesses need new signs, right?

Awesome stuff SJ_Steve. That was great info  ;D Thank you for sharing.

I know many will find it useful!

JC

Thanks Joe...just came up with that one this morning..lol

So if your one customer refers 3 people and they let you know that...the first customer actually gets 10% off their next 3 orders!  A win-win situation.

Jen

Very smart.  ;D

THAT IS A GREAT POST!  Wow, you knocked my socks off with such great and specific info!  Thank you so much!

Here's a Gorilla tactic for ya, A new restaurant is being put in across the street from the shop where I work and I had been saying that I should go over there and talk to the owners about doing thier signs. Well after a week or so of saying that I saw a lady walking out the door with trash so I ran across the street and asked her if I could help her (which probably freaked her out.) I proceeded to help her empty her trash and talk to her about doing her signs and she said in a week or so she would get ahold of me. I just had a meeting with and the graphic artist to do the whole restaurant!! (I guessing at around $2000)

WOW troy. Nice one. Thanks SO MUCH SJ. I know as I am new any and all advice in this area is priceless. So thanks to everyone sharing experience and knowledge.. :thumbsup:

subcontract.

go to larger fleet type dealerships offer to do art and vinyl on trucks for a low set price, they can roll this into the price of the truck and the selling point is the customer isnt out of pocket any money. its financed and they roll off the lot ready to do business. the dealership gets to mark it up and it adds to the salesmens paycheck. everyones happy.

SJ Steve......

Regarding the part about handing out flyers.  I am new to the lettering business and was wandering about that.  If I walk into every business/store on Main Street and hand them a flyer, is that considered advertising or is that soliciting?  I don't want to get a bad reputation even before I get started. 

I just open my big mouth and let it do my thing.  I mentioned to this guy at the car shop that i can now do t-shirts and banners.  I ended up making 12 shirts for his car club, 30 stickers for their cars, and 2 other car clubs want stickers made.  All because i mentioned that i can do what i can do.  That isn't even including me designing a logo for his father's business as well as having business cards made for his father.  When opportunity hits...drop kick it back!

I agree with Charlie...every chance you get...say something!

While at a pet rescue event over the weekend...I came with business cards in hand...every opportunity I would start talking about what we can do, if they were interested, they got a card!

Good idea Jenny! Hope you get more business out of it!

I get all my business through my  husband talking about it. He knows many people with business' and works for them, so when he mentoins what I can do, they pick me to do their work since they like my hubs.

I'm finally looking into making me some business cards, but I'm still struggling with my logo. Hopefully I'll have something soon.

Amber

Amber, hey girl you got a leg up on this.....with the help of your hubby!!  :thumbsup:  Which is great!  Makes it faster for your business to be known.

The one thing I'm learning Amber, it's not so much the kind of business card you have they will remember, but it's your work and standing behind it!  Just come up with a design that YOU like.  I have 2 different bus. cards..and to be honest none really represent what I do...it more represents ME!!  :thumbsup:

You'll do just fine...I know it!

Jenny

SJ Steve......

Regarding the part about handing out flyers.  I am new to the lettering business and was wandering about that.  If I walk into every business/store on Main Street and hand them a flyer, is that considered advertising or is that soliciting?  I don't want to get a bad reputation even before I get started. 

I think it's all in the delivery really...

If you're just dropping off flyers and planting a seed, that's one thing, if you're trying to sell them a vinyl job on the spot, I think that's more soliciting...either of which I have ZERO problem doing :thumbsup:

Just can't be pushy.  Being pushy is just bad technique and lack of sales training...  Often Lead procurement and sales abilities are one thing that cause alot of problems for small business. 

I think with practice and devotion, it's easily rectified though :thumbsup: