haumana

separate computer for cutter?

Oh, I forgot to mention that I do a LOT more with the tower and the laptop then just SBE and cutting  ;)

Let's see...

Web design

Image editing

Games

Movies

Other fun stuff ....  ;D

Yes it's over kill for just cutting, but in the words of Tim Taylor "More POWER!!"

i design stuff at home on my pc.. then i put it on my usb thumb drive and take it to work.. at work i have 2 computers.. 1 is a server which i have dual boot with winxp and vista.. it has a almost a terabyte of space because i use it to backup customers data..etc.. however i design on that as well since its fast and i use a kvm switch to control a box i built from spare parts specifically to cut.. for those that dont know.. a kvm or keyboard/video/mouse switch allows you to control multiple computers from one keyboard/monitor/mouse.. so i can switch between 8 computers if i need to using just one setup.. on the pc i use to cut i dont do anything else on that pc.. it only comes on when i need to cut. i did it this way so i know whenever or wherever i design something i can go and cut it without having to worry about it not cutting or some software running etc..

I have two computers (not by choice) my pc runs the cutter, Epson Photo Printer, HP Laser Jet, Brother Lazer, and scanners.  They are networked together along with my sons 3 computers in his office.    I use either the pc or laptop to design which can get confusing at times.  We upgraged my pc last year, I have way to many programs on both computers and NEED to get a external drive (birthday coming soon, making list out) for the graphics as that would be the best deal.

All of this is a major chore when I go to shows or house sit (usually for a week or two) as I can take my cutter with me but I have to take by pc along too.

I have one computer where I edit things, download clip art, store saved files, print out work, and for emailing work.

Then I have a computer just for the cutter. It's just a rebuilt computer my husbands uncle did. He has about 100 computers sitting at his house waiting to rebuilt. Mine is the first one he actually did.  :)

I'm hoping to someday get a laptop for on the go use, but who knows when that will happen.

Amber

Tower with twin 17" monitors, 2.4GHz CPU and 3GB ram for cutting.

HP Pavilion dv9000 2.0GHz CPU, 4GB RAM for designing.

Both running SBE.

That just seems like overkill. You could most likely use a 286 with 12 megs of ram to run one of these cutters.

overkill totally. I ran SB for a year on a 1ghz with 256 mb ram.

Sorry guys but when you are running 6 diff programs you need all the room you can get.

1. 2-amd fx74 processors

2. 5- 1 terra gig hard drives

3. 8 gig of ram

4. 1000 wt power supply

5. 2- 8800 GTX sli graphics cards

6. Complete liquid cooling

7. Xp pro 64 bit OS, xp pro 32 bit os

8. Asus 64 mb dual processor board

My purpose is for this monster is to run all of my graphic programs:

1. Vinyl Xpress Master Pro

2. Flexi Sign Pro 8

3. Omega

4. Adobe Photoshop CS2

5. Adobe Photoshop CS3

6. Adobe Illistrator  CS3

7. Zbrush

8. Raster Link Pro 3

9. Fine Cutt 6

10. Adobe Fire Works CS3

11. Adobe Indesign    CS3

12. Adobe Dreamweaver CS3

K im tired of typing so ill put it like this I have the Adobe CS3 master and I use every program daily. So yes when you are a designer you need all the PC you can get for storage, performance and quality. I will never say overkill to any large PC in a Graphic Company.