Sign in to follow this  
joebiv318

setting up laser cutter

So I had my laser cutter working good w/ a usb hook up.  Then one day my computer stopped working, just wont turn on.  so instead of getting that one fixed (almost 6 years old) I bought a new one w/ a serial port.  So now I need to know how to get the cutter to work with the serial port, I thought that I had it hook up right but I just get blocks on the cutter screen when I turn it on.  Thanks

in the cut window along the top of the screen there is a setup button. in there you can select the output device. hope this helps

bb

in your computer control panel under system/hardware manager/ports, you should find your serial port. look to see what com port it is on. that will be your selection in the cutter settings.

bb

sorry that would be system/hardware tab/device manager/ports.

bb

...I thought that I had it hook up right but I just get blocks on the cutter screen when I turn it on.  Thanks

Make sure the carriage isn't resting/depressing one of the red kill buttons. If is it, turn cutter off and gently move the carriage away by hand.

tried everything suggested- hooked up to usb still won't work, installed driver from banana cd, shows USB serial port (COM4)- made sure that i selected com 4 under setup for signblazer.  doesn't say under device manager which "COM" port the cutter is hooked up to when using serial port- i have COM 1 and COM 2 listed under ports- made sure that i had one of the two selected under the setup for signblazer and i tried both COMs neither detecting the cutter- i continue to have nothing but a row of black squares on the cutter screen when i turn it on and they don't go away until i shut off cutter. this cutter worked fine with my old computer that died- i had NO problems with it until now-help please!!! i don't know what else to think?:)? :'(

sounds like the old computer took the plotter with it. you may need to replace the main board. try calling or pm'ing ken on monday.

bb

cutme sounds right. there might have been a surge, spike, or brown out that could have possibly fried some stuff - the power supply on the your computer, and some of the more sensitive stuff on the cutter.

We were going away for a couple days so my wife turned the computer off.  When we returned home it wouldn't turn back on?  That's it, no surge, or spike, just would not turn back on.  I did a quick search and found quite a few others had similar problems w/ their hp computers.  I called a computer repair place and they quoted me $75 + parts to fix it.  This computer is almost 6 years so I bought a new one.  I went to best buy and told them I wanted just a tower w/ serial port (for the cutter) a HCSD card reader and open USB ports on the front, No hp, oh and I didn't want to pay a lot!  Well the only one that they had reasonable was an E machine ($400)so that's what I got.  Looked at a Dell for $200 more and no serial port or card reader.

So my printer, speakers, keyboard, mouse and IPod that were all hooked up to the old computer ALL work fine, I just cant get the cutter to work now?  So I don't think the computer "took out" the cutter.  I really don't know that much about computers either so I don't know, I just cant get it to work, that's it!

Whether the cutter is hooked up with USB or Serial, it should not have black boxes ont he display when it is truned on. Make sure neither of the red buttons is being pressed by the carriage, and that neither is stuck in.

I have had computers that would not turn on BECAUSE something hooked up to them had gone bad. Did you try to boot the computer with the cutter unplugged?

I tried everything w/ the red buttons, they are NOT being pushed or stuck.  Yes I looked on the net and found this(my problem) to be a common problem w/ hp computers.  There was no smoking gun answer to what the problem could be.  The computer is on my table w/ nothing hooked to it and still wont turn on.  I really need to get this up and running. I have two job I can get paid to do, and I've already iced them saying my computer died now they want their signs.  

Well there are numerous posts on this forum that say "this forum" is your tech support.  Well I need tech support I have done everything on my end That I can do.  I need to get this running!!!

i know this is going to sound like a dumb question, but is your computer on and the drivers installed? i turned my machine on today before turning my computer on and saw the dreaded black squares. i thought the lightning we have been having may have caused a problem until i noticed my computer was not running. maybe the serial cable (even though it may be new) is bad. have you tried to make it work with the usb connection on your new computer? just trying to help.

bb

yes my computer is on and yes i installed the driver and tried the usb connection- i thought the same thing: maybe it was a bad serial cable- no luck serial OR usb-any other thoughts anyone?

Honestly, it still sounds like a surge or spike got to your equipment while you were out. The equipment doesn't need to be on to be effected, it just needs to be plugged it. If you had your PC and/or cutter plugged into a surge protector and/or UPS, then there's a chance that's bad too (it can still work, it just won't function up to the original specs).

You don't think it's odd that two pieces of electronic equipment decided to wink out on you at the same time? It can even be a brown out. Could be a power strip went bad, could be a UPS went bad, could just be a LOT of static electricity in the room.

Anytime there's a power outage here, one of the first things I do is run around the house and unplug all power strips that have sensitive and/or expensive equipment on it - including the UPS I run.

Keep us updated.

BTW - If you want to try to "save" your old HP, you can just by a power supply and do the swap yourself. Just know that HP's are not ATX, so the power supply probably won't fit very nicely, but you will be able to get it to work.  Dirt cheap power supplies can be had for less than $20.

Have you tried holding the power button in for aout 10 seconds on the HP?

Yea, I tried all sort of things like that.  There are like 1000 similar post on the net about HP computers not turning on.  Some could get them to turn back on some could not.  Anything that I could try that someone else did that worked I tried.  That's why I didn't spend the money to fix it.  I really think that some how there is no connection between my new computer and the cutter?  Nothing else has problems.  If you just plug in your cutter w/ no connection to a computer do you get all black boxes?  I need help on getting this to work, can I call someone, should I call tech support and leave a message?  I really want to get this fixed!

Of course: 425-481-3555

You should not get black boxes on the display whether it is plugged in to the computer or not. Might be a loose connection to the motherboard.

Ok, took the bottom of the cutter off, to look at the mother board. All looked good.  Looked the whole cutter over and found this...

IMG_0733-1.jpg

It looks like a ground wire?  I fixed it and still same problem.  Now I wonder if this was the source of ALL my problems from the start?  I will leave a message for tech support.

Reconnected the ground wire but it is still acting the same? It is possible something on the mainboard shorted out. Will be looking for your call.

It is possible something on the mainboard shorted out.

Well I guess it could have?  All looks good from looking at it.  I did call and left a message, feel free to call me back.

Chris