Kysmiley

error initializing cutter

At first when trying to get the cutter to cut a design I was getting the error message failure to initialize cutter. I checked my connections and connection type in the setup and it showed the correct one. Blazer usb com5. I had no luck so I restarted the cutter and the laptop, but still the same problem. After I restarted the laptop for the third time I am not able to get the usb com port listed in the connection types. it just shows blazer LPT1 2 and so on then Blazer com2, 3 and so on. If I bring up an existing design the cutter will cut it but not the new design. Can anyone offer any insight as to why?

Pat

USB driver issue maybe? Check your Device Manager under the Ports category to see which COM port it is using.

I had that issue on more than several occasion when I first got started. It had more to do with using the right driver and version of SBE. I had to uninstall and reinstall several times. If you have a serial port, I would give that a try. If you don't have a serial port, you might want to consider getting a keyspan (serial to USB) adapter.

Give us a heads-up to help you. I would recommend that you post your info in your signature ... cutter, PC or Mac, USB or Serial, SBE or some other type of cutting software, etc. We can usually help faster because we don't end up asking for that information.  :)

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling everything.

But before you do, when you go to the cut screen - which cutter are you selecting? I had initialization errors because I had the wrong cutter selected.

I have the right cutter selected. I do the uninstall and reinstall monday when I get back to the shop. Thanks

Pat

How do you fix the USB driver. I have removed and reinstalled the signblazer software but it still will not cut. I'm getting very frustrated i have a client coming in soon to pick up their product and I cant do it.

Pat

if you know how to take a screenshot of your settings in the software,do it and post it here.

When the USB cable is plugged in, go to your Device Manager and look in the Ports category. Is ther a USB Serial Port showing up? If not, the driver needs to be completely loaded. If there is one, make sure you set the software to communicate through the same COM # it has been assigned.

Yep ken thats exactly what i have done and it all shows correct yet it still wont cut. The USB cable seems to wiggle where it plugs into the cutter. Could this be loose, and causing the problem?

Pat

Maybe, try unplugging the USB cable from the computer and plugging it in to a different USB port. Make sure the Baud rates match up in the Device Manager, the Cutter, and the cutting software.

I often disconnect my laptop from the cutter. What I've found is that I need to have the laptop completely booted-up before connecting then turning on the cutter. If the cutter is on prior to connection (because I loaded up the vinyl, etc.), than I get an error.

Too funny. I had taken our system down for a month to 'remodel' the workshop. Set up the computer and cutter, could not comm with the cutter (same error as Kysmiley).

Thanks for the good responses, got er' back up and running (yup, USB errors and reset from LP to PCut settings).

Mad Max

I have tried different USB ports and even shut the laptop down then restarted it. All baud rates match up all settings match up. I am at a total loss as to why this will not work this time, like it did two weeks ago.

Pat

Try setting it from LP to PCut and see if that helps. Can't ever guaranty anything, but it couldn't hurt ... what's the worst that can happen?? it's not like there's good communication between the PC and cutter right now.  :huh:

I brought in a computer today and hooked the serial cable up and it worked like a charm. I will try later to get the usb to worfk again. Till I can buy a new computer for the cutter

you can buy a serial card for a desktop PC for about $15. An adapter for a laptop for under $40. Or you can get a nice 2ghz dell on ebay for about $100. I am now running my refine from a dell optiplex, 2.4 ghz, 512mb Ram...ebay price was $60 including shipping.

Dang John! You always seem to get the best deals on stuff. You must lurk on eBay at all hours I bet  ;D