mortalimmortal

Inkscape

I been seeing a lot of posts about Inkscape and even Ken on the phone was talking about it. I have never heard of it till I came here.

Well today I downloaded it and thought I would see how it rates to Illustrator. Man was I surprised, for a program that is free and has so much power.

I think this program is worth its weight with the big boys.

I took and caricature of my self and scanned it in at 72dpi to test the trace features in Illustrator and Inkscape. I the sample below inkscape I believe it was a better bitmap trace. Sure you can change the setting in Illustrator and Inkscape, but Inkscape is free and don't have to pay the illustrator price tag. Inkscape is also not a memory hog like CS3 is.

I so tested the line and pen tools and they seam to responds better and give nice flow. The nod editing feature rocks, I find it easier to use then Illustrator.

For a free program or even if it cost some change this program is well worth it in my option.

If you haven't already downloaded it I would suggest doing it now.

ill.jpg

ink.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

In the last image, imho, the inkscape drawing lookings better, the lines are more even.

Guest TracMatt

Awesome job comparing. 

Who did your caricature?  It's really good, of course I haven't seen you but it looks so realistic.

Tracee

Where can you get the free download for inkscape?

Christi

www.inkscape.org