Sign in to follow this  
dkhochhalter

Homemade Premasker

Has anyone tried to make their own version of a table top pre-masker? I want to have my husband build me one instead of paying $200 some bucks for one (I'm cheap, i know) but I'm not sure how to make it fully secure to the worktable.

Have you tried it? Do you own one? If not, how do you transfer?

(Currently, I use my plotter stand- it has a bar across the middle of it- and put my transfer tape on there. Then I transfer onto a glass coffee table because it's the right height. I don't however, want to bend over much longer. I'm due with my second baby anyday and my back is killing me...I'd rather have a premasker installed onto a real height work table.)

this is the first one i thought of when i read this.  BannerJohn posted it a while back

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3223.0;attach=3999;image

Guest fivestar

I just ran some long eye bolts through my table and put a dowel rod through them.

this is the first one i thought of when i read this.  BannerJohn posted it a while back

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3223.0;attach=3999;image

notice all the blue tape that is how they are held on...lol

just get a couple of clamps to hold your rack to the table

I just took a small section of my office to set up a CUTTER area. Then, took the cheapo route for my pre-mask station; 2 ladder back chairs and a rod. I eventually hope to get hubby to build something a little more permanent.http://lh5.ggpht.com/Logston.Roger.Carolane/SIadS5ifBtI/AAAAAAAACGI/Z8cenGu3Pzk/premask%20chairs.jpg?imgmax=512

Guest kenya

Here's mine.

My husband made this one for me. We have an aluminum business & this was made from scraps (all but the mounting brackets).

It works great. I think I'll get him to drill holes for another roll & make it hold two different lengths at a time. That way I don't have to change the 16" to the 12" when I need it.

Also, I haven't screwed it to the table (I didn't want holes in it), I just use c- clamps to keep it in place.

post-0-12986521778703_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986521802949_thumb.jpg

here's the latest version...gave up the old one about a year ago.

THis one is very simple,made from scraps of stuff I had lying around. The rollers rotate,tape comes off easy. Not shown are 2 brackets that hook over the edge of the table.

geez! I'm really impressed. Thanks so much, now my husband will have some ideas to pull from when he builds it. You guys are awesome. Gracias.

here's mine you run the paper under the front bar to keep pressure on it and it keeps it low to surface just pull past work and touch down the take and sq out center to sides than cutgoldenhatchaward002.jpg[/img]

This is very helpful. 200+ dollars is pretty expensive. Especially when I see the bottom picture on the page that looks pretty much better than the one in the magazine.

Home made big squeegee works better than my roll holder every time!  pleix with a little felt

poor picture but you get the idea - crude but works.  the only thing I would do different is make it not as long and not quite of heavy of material.  I had the local glass shop cut a 12" and a 24" piece for me.  didn't even take the protective paper all the way off, just enough to ge the felt on ;D

post-2774-1298654999255_thumb.jpg

post-2774-12986550013007_thumb.jpg