nonabelle

COMPUTER GURUS

ok, this is what happen or is it. i had a usb hub on my computer any way i was trying to reconnect another printer to my computer so i had this usb extention cable. well i plug the two extended ends together and bam stuff went to sparking and frying. when i unplug it. computer would not boot completely another printer that was connected won't turn on anymore and the key board is shot. tell me what happened.

sounds like you fried the usb. Is this a desktop or laptop?

sounds like you fried the usb. Is this a desktop or laptop?

it's a desktop but how could i fry the usb.

this is not good!

I never recommend using a USB extension cable (had problems of my own in the past!)

Something that most people don't know is that USB also transmits power through the cable -- that is how you can power fans and lights! If there is a crossed wire in that extension cable - arching and sparking will occur and computer damage will follow!

I hope that your computer is not fried, but I am not holding my breath! 

this is not good!

I never recommend using a USB extension cable (had problems of my own in the past!)

Something that most people don't know is that USB also transmits power through the cable -- that is how you can power fans and lights! If there is a crossed wire in that extension cable - arching and sparking will occur and computer damage will follow!

I hope that your computer is not fried, but I am not holding my breath! 

damn it small signs that's all i need to hear  :'( and that's what happen exactly like u said.  :'( :'(

Try to boot it in safe mode ......

bear, that baby won't do nothing, it's at the computer shop now. i'm just waiting for the call.

man i'm nervous than a prostitute in a nun suit.

I use USB extension cables all the time...have two in use right now. The problems occur when people try and force them to connect the wrong way. It is hard to do,but possible. I have seen FAR MORE firewire ports fried than USB because of this very reason.

If you had onbard USB (which I suspect) all it usually does is fry the USB...smetimes the NIC interface too...but usually not the entire main board. If this is the case, a $15 PCI expansion card for the USB is all you need. But I wouldn't be surprized if the computer shop wants $150-$200 to fix it. UINless it's a very expensive computer to begin with,pay the bench fee and tell them no thanks,and PM me.

I use USB extension cables all the time...have two in use right now. The problems occur when people try and force them to connect the wrong way. It is hard to do,but possible. I have seen FAR MORE firewire ports fried than USB because of this very reason.

If you had onbard USB (which I suspect) all it usually does is fry the USB...smetimes the NIC interface too...but usually not the entire main board. If this is the case, a $15 PCI expansion card for the USB is all you need. But I wouldn't be surprized if the computer shop wants $150-$200 to fix it. UINless it's a very expensive computer to begin with,pay the bench fee and tell them no thanks,and PM me.

thanks banner so far i haven't heard from them. i will let u know thanks so much.

Guest fivestar

Was this in the front of the tower or the back?  If it's in the front you may get lucky and if they disconnect the front USB plug it may work.  If not well.......

even if it's the rear USB,it might not be a big deal. I've got one PC runing right now that has no onboard USB or Ethernet that runs fine otherwise. But I had to go into the bios and disable before it would boot.

Sorry guys, but most computers these days have the USB on the motherboard -- you fry that (with sparking and smoke as described) land the MB is usually toast! Once again that is coming form experience, as in been there done that.

I'm hoping for the best for you, buy it doesn't sound good. Worst case -- Motherboard and power supply.

well guys here goes, first thanks for all ur quick responses to help me out.

it was the motherboard which the usb was connected to and fried like chicken, although my warranty was out 10 days ago, they still fixed it. thank God for that. but it has been humming for the last month so i had called him before about it. i really think that's what saved my but. if not previously called i would be SOL.. it fried the keyboard, mouse, us course the hub, and a twenty five hundred dollar printer. i'm just glad all was not lost.

thanks again. ;D

YOu were lucky they fixed it anyway. The humming sounds like your power supply was going bad. Which they probably knew.

I am still mystified as to how the printer got fried. Was it the one that you were trying to connect?

YOu were lucky they fixed it anyway. The humming sounds like your power supply was going bad. Which they probably knew.

I am still mystified as to how the printer got fried. Was it the one that you were trying to connect?

[/quote

well i am too it was connect usb to the computer thru the hub. i know that's crazy it won't even power on. i was ;D

I hate to say it, but I had a feeling you had done more damage then some were saying.

Unfortunately with this type of a failure anything connected through USB will receive a fatal shot.

Glad to hear that they fixed your computer, but I would be upset about losing a $2500.00 printer  :thumbsup:

Heck I would be upset to lose my $100.00 printer!!!

This is another good reason to have your cutter connected with a serial cable!

Everyone have a great weekend!

yeah, i am totally sick about the printer. it was my printer copier scanner fax. and it was tabloid size printing too. omg. i will be alright tho. everytime i look over at it, i water up. thinking how in the world could this happen. i will just be glad when the hubby gets it out of here. :'(  although i have other printers these was the heart.

Sorry guys, but most computers these days have the USB on the motherboard -- you fry that (with sparking and smoke as described) land the MB is usually toast! Once again that is coming form experience, as in been there done that.

I'm hoping for the best for you, buy it doesn't sound good. Worst case -- Motherboard and power supply.

I have a computer right here that I use mainly for watching DVD movies on. The USB AND the NIC are integrated on the motherboard,and BOTH were fried by a power surge. Otherwise,the computer boots and works fine.

Actually John - you are one of the rare cases -- most of these type problems take out the motherboard.

Just a caution to everyone - watch your USB Cables - while they are convent if they get warn and damaged they can cause problems -- in my case it was a cat chewing on a cable that shorted everything out - fried the motherboard, mouse, and keyboard -- the cat also got a charge out of it and never came near a computer again! 

well, a liitle bird told me that the computer in question is down again...after the repair. I am thinking that someone missed the boat somewhere.

hey banner, i think the boat and ship has been missed by a lot of folks.

actually the problem looks like it is coming from electrical wiring in this particular room of my house. i had a feeling but was sure until the desktop blew again and then this morning my laptop blew.

when i thought about it wondering what was really going on and after contacting FIVESTAR.it's not the cables i used a new cable this morning. but anyway my son had a laptop and it blew in that room too. the room is carpeted there and it must be pulling more static electricity through the carpeting. if i drop a usb cord on the floor and plug it in it shouldn't blow things out like that.

small signs i hear ya, but i have always used extention usbs for at least 12 yrs in my shop out doors with no problems hot swapping them. also in the other rooms of the house it has never happen for my soon hotswap stuff all the time in his room and i did also in my bedroom.

i had an electirician out and there r some crossed wiring going on.

fivestar is a smart man because i never told him about the socket or wiring being crossed and he nailed it on the head when i talked to him, just confirming what my first mind was telling me. damn, i bet i listen to it more now.

luckily my laptop is still under warranty but not my desktop. so now i have to use my son's desktop. omg until they can track the problem in the wiring. it seems no other rooms r affected. but come to think of it after moving part of my shop indoors, that's when we discovered the outlets not working and fixed two and two we couldn't fix. so now i'm waiting on an electrician to come out and track the problem. thanks for everybody who helped me on this matter. right now i'm in mourning and needing to get filed off both comp to finish my jobs.

I"ve seen that before.

OK,so tell everyone who it was that told you FIVESTAR was the one to ask? I can't always take credit for knowing everything but I sure do try to know who to ASK.

FIvestar is always the one I trust on computer stuff.

thanks banner, small signs, and fivestar, u guys r the greatest. now i wish u all was here with me to help me drink and cry cry and drink although i know that want solve my problems but it sure would ease some of my misry for a minute. lol to keep from crying. stuff happens all for a reason. that room has always tripped the hell out of breakers so now i have no choice but to get it fixed. in the mean time pray for my sanity and my neighbors.  :- :'(