Sign in to follow this  
grinchcards

connection problems cutter not working

I bought the USCutter LaserPoint 24 - Cutting Plotter with Alignment Laser and have been unable to use it at all.  I first put together everything.  I finally figured out the blade after reading the forum a little bit.  I inserted vinyl, installed driver, installed SBE, connected with USB and nothing worked.  I tried the ports to see if I was missing something, no other ports worked.  I bought a USB to serial RS232 DB9 Magellan Garmin cable with driver and that also did not work.  I tried to uninstall the driver for the cutter and then re-install.  Now when I try to re-install the driver my computer is giving me a message that the device was not installed because it did not find the driver on the disc.  I feel like crying, seriously.  :thumbsup: I have no idea what to do!  I am using an HP desktop with xp home edition and I also tried to install the driver from the support site and after I install it, I can't find it anywhere!  I felt relatively smart before attempting this, now I just feel completely overwhelmed and a bit stupid.  If anyone has any advice or ideas, I would more than greatly appreciate it.

Do you have the instructions (one sheet that has the driver installation instructions) that came with the machine?

Did you follow the instructions regarding setting up the SignBlazer software with the correct port?  I had to look around a bit, as the directions were for a different version of Windows, and you have to take an alternate path to get to the device manager.

Edit:  I assume you did not install the drivers prior to plugging the USB in, and it prompting for the drivers, correct?

Might be best if I phone you to walk you through some troubleshooting. Sounds like Windows is having problems recognizing the driver which means something else on the computer is conflicting with it. If you have a Serail connection on the computer, that would be the easiest resolution. If not, send me a PM with your phone number.

I got a refurbished laptop with the serial port.  I am going to try that first, either way I will let you know what happens.

I got a refurbished laptop with the serial port.  I am going to try that first, either way I will let you know what happens.

Alright, keep me posted.

Okay, well it did not detect new hardware with the serial port plugged in, so I tried to manually install new hardware, but it keeps saying that the disc is either not being recognized or may be corrupt.  I have it in the serial port now and installed SBE on the laptop as well.  I attempted cut using com1 and again, it shows up as if it is cutting on the computer screen but the cutter does nothing.  Have I missed something major?? 

Do you have the instructions (one sheet that has the driver installation instructions) that came with the machine?

Did you follow the instructions regarding setting up the SignBlazer software with the correct port?  I had to look around a bit, as the directions were for a different version of Windows, and you have to take an alternate path to get to the device manager.

Edit:  I assume you did not install the drivers prior to plugging the USB in, and it prompting for the drivers, correct?

Yes, did receive instructions on driver installation and I got the whole deal with making sure SignBlazer is using the same port as the cutter... but now the laptop did not recognize new hardware when I connected the cable, so I don't even think that the driver is installed...  I tried to install manually but I'm really not sure what I am doing and don't want to mess it up.  When I did try, it said that the disc in my drive was either corrupt or could not be recognized??? 

Is there a driver for the LP cutter on the support site anywhere, I didn't see anything listed for downloads for the LP cutter at all, but again, maybe I missed something.

there's no such thing as a total moron...well,almost. I forget who lives at 1600 Pennsylvania avenue. Anyway,what was wrong so others with the same problem can know.

Oh,and for those who don't know...when you plug your cutter in the serial,nothing comes up. It's just there.