Larryc39

Alternative Software or Print Drivers?

I do all my work in CorelDRAW 17 ("x7"), convert to curves, then paste into SBE merely to print to my vintage Laserpoint 24 machine.  SBE is frustrating to find the USB port, pray it's one of the few available and not USB 16 or something, and try not to crash it.  Is there another simple/cheap/free program to just import files and print, or a printer driver I can run directly from Corel?

It has been mentioned many, many times to put value cutters on a Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter with the null modem serial cable that came with your cutter.  The Tripp-lite has it's own drivers which are much better than the cheap Chinese chipset in the vinyl cutter. Tripp-lite is the brand name. 

Find the best price.  The USB end of the Tripp-lite goes into your USB port on computer, then the null modem serial cable is connected to the Tripplite, then other end of cable to your vinyl cutter. The Tripplite is the only brand guaranteed to work with a vinyl cutter.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USA-19HS/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=9UC9Q1HYM43F&keywords=tripp+lite+keyspan+high+speed+usb+to+serial+adapter&qid=1705165490&sprefix=Tripp-lite+keyspan+adapter%2Caps%2C516&sr=8-3 

SBE will only function using COM ports 1-4.

SBE is notoriously buggy with Copy-Pasting graphics (my copy will crash if trying to copy-paste directly from an image grabbed on the internet), much better to Export your work, and then Import to SB. (.eps legacy version, since SBE works only up to A-I v8)

Your machine is not a printer, it's a cutter/plotter.

Only other free software I've heard of for cutting in Inkcut, which started as an add-on for Inkscape. I played with Inkcut a little and didn't care for it, but it did work. You can also cut directly from Inkscape in the newer versions. It's not ideal but it did work.