thenixhex311

Versaworks 6.0.0 cannot read any .eps files (file corrupted)

So the facility I work at (2,000+) is secured from the outside world. Our graphics department uses a Roland Versacamm 540i. Recently all of our systems were updated to Windows 10, and with it our Versaworks software was updated to 6.0.0.

Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to install software by ourselves, so IT has to get their hands on software installers, and after vetting, probably tinkering, and approvals, they push the software to a repository we can download from. The problem is, and it was the same with the previous version of Versaworks we had, it never would install the print driver, and things like cut contours wouldn't work until someone from IT would manually install the program.

FFWD to today, and I'm trying to install VW.  I get it installed...issue after issue (crashes) and it just isn't working. Finally get IT to install it as admin and it seems to work, but I can NOT get any .eps files to add via drag-and-drop to print queue A or B like I previously used to. Same files as used before, corrupted file errors every time. I've tried running the initialization, but that doesn't seem to fix it. Aside from getting IT to uninstall and reinstall again (not sure what that would do) are there any temp folders or anything anywhere that could be causing these problems?  Sure, I can drop in PDF files fine, but it's beside the point now and a matter of trying to figure out WHY this isn't working.

I'll take any feedback, insight, similar experience you may lend to help out!

Thanks!

personally I never in 7 years did the drag and drop - I imported everything in versaworks :/

Most any graphics software has FILE>IMPORT  Check there   Then browse your files for the one you want to use and import it. 

Yeah, there is File>Add job to queue...but it's basically the same process as dropping a file in a hot folder or drag-drop to the queue. Nothing is working. Sucks being at the mercy of IT and not being able to fix this stuff on my own.

1 hour ago, thenixhex311 said:

Yeah, there is File>Add job to queue...but it's basically the same process as dropping a file in a hot folder or drag-drop to the queue. Nothing is working. Sucks being at the mercy of IT and not being able to fix this stuff on my own.

File > Import (Add) is almost basically the same, but you don't always get the same results. Life would be so much easier if drag and drop work everywhere for everything, but it doesn't. You never responded one way or another, if you actually did try the File > Import (Add) route or not. Have you also tried opening up the .eps file in something else and possibly saving it in different format the VW would import? (ie. svg, ai, etc.) or even opening it up and saving it to a different version of compatibility if possible? This are not ideal fixes in any way, shape or form, but it might be a workaround for you until IT gets everything sorted it out for you.

• Like 1

I have tried File>Add to Queue for queues A>C with no luck. I can drag and drop/import PDF files, JPG, Tiff all fine. ANY .eps file gives a corrupted error. These were all created on Illustrator CC 22.1 on a Win7 environment. I've since been switched to Win 10, and have gone through a few .eps files, reopened and resaved, still no luck. I have two printers listed in my printers & scanners VersaWorks_(VS_540i) and a RolandVW. I cannot Ctrl+P print to either of them. It works, but just sends the files to the Windows Printer queue, and never shows up in VersaWorks.

Starting to get at my wits end. It's frustrating here as practically EVERYTHING is locked down on our computers, can't install fonts, etc.  And being at the mercy of IT...and waiting upwards of 2+ weeks to even get a response back...it's infuriating.  I've tried running the 'broken installer' we have advertised to our computers (after uninstalling), but notice that I have some random (seemingly non-critical files) in the C:\ProgramData\Roland DG VersaWorks directory as well as C:\Program Files\VersaWorks that don't go away after uninstall.  Initialize application seems to 'work' as I have to enter the Roland's IP address on relaunch, but doesn't solve any .eps file corruption issues that I've seen in my google searches before coming here.

Only thing that I can think of is that this IT guy that remotes into my computer to install something is just doing something wrong. The last person that installed the software to a pilot PC upgraded to 10 came over and PHYSICALLY ran the installer at the computer and I could watch what he was doing...but yeah, good luck at getting any of these IT people to write back when you're 1 of 2 people using a service, they are understaffed and your facility has 2k people. Guess I can't get work done.

You can open up your files in AI and it's all good, right? This might be a total shot in the dark, but worth trying at this point. Go back and open up the file, then do a Save As (or Save a copy) and select .eps, and in Version, select something really low - like Illustrator; or as an .svg of VW can import .svg files.

There are bits of information and embedding that might be happening in the newer versions of AI that VW just doesn't like. I run into it all the time. Give it a go, it couldn't hurt to try at this point.

• Like 1