Sign in to follow this  
frogg

Reflective question

I am cutting my first reflective batch and while weeding it I noticed that the thick layer wants to peel off the vinyl. Is that layer supposed to come off? Like I said I've never used this stuff before so any help would be great.

I'll be watching to see the answer to this as I too have not cut reflective vinyl yet.

I also got a glitter vinyl sample that has not only the backing but a clear covering over the glitter part....I have no idea what to do with it..  :thumbsup:

I cut my first "chrome mirrored" graphic last night...was a bit nevous because it wasn't "cheap vinyl".  All went well, I was very, very careful but it all went fine.

usually the glitter has a sometimes tinted protective sheet that should be removed before cutting.

So does that mean that the clear sheet on the reflective should be removed also?

I think I could be wrong about this but here is my take... I've been doing a LOT of reflective lately and the adhesive seems to be very strong...a LOT stronger than regular vinyl. So I am thinking maybe the backing paper is designed to let lose a lot better. It seems that way to me,anyhow. I know that the vinyl itself sticks to my fingers like you wouldn't believe.

I agree John, I do a lot of plates for Fire companies so I use reflective regularly and I find the same thing.

I've cut miles of reflective in the past and don't understand your question. What brand vinyl are you using and what layer are you talking about?