skiinzzz

Attaching blade holder to machine??

Hello all. Newbie here...how do I attach "blade holder" onto machine? There is a screw and the hole seems a bit smaller than the holder...dont want to force and break anything...thanks.. =LJ=

Also, which way should blade face and how do you insert vinyl ? Yeah, no experience...thanks guys.

Guest fivestar

Ummm can you take a pic of it?  I'm not for sure what you're talking about on the blade holder.

Hi! Im talking about the "object" you put the blade in. The magnetized thing that you can screw to adjust the blade depth. Are there any "details" that explain how to get this thing going?? I have no experience what so ever and purchased the cutter to learn on. I understand there is no "manual"...any help would be much appretiated. Ive called and left messages with no luck... =LJ=

losen the screw until the blade holder drops in.It should rop down until it rests on the plastic lip. Blade pointing down,of course. Tighten the screw.

Is it pretty "tight"? It didnt just drop in there. I took off the screw and had to push it in. Which way does the blade face? Should the "point" be away from me or facing me? THANKS!

taking the screw lose isn't a problem..I do mine that way. The blade should be pinting down,towards the cutting surface. If that is what you mean. If you mean which way should the angle of the blade face...it doesn't matter,it spins..it will find it's own axis.

Thank you for your responses. I am curious though. You said the blade spins on its own, how does it do that? It doesnt move when I try to do it manually, its locked in (screwed). Are there any step by step instructions on how to operate this cutter, with details? Ive been playing with this thing since noon...

the holder doesn't spin,,,the blade spins inside the holder,while cutting.

AS for instructions..well, I just suggest reading as many posts here as you can. It's really just a matter of hitting 'cut' and letting it do it's thing.

skiinzzz,

The blade holder fits pretty snug in the carrier arm. I have a Pcut but it's basically the same without the laser. On mine I loosen the thumbscrew and open the carrier with a small screwdriver. I then insert and seat the holder, remove the screwdriver and tighten the thumbscrew.

I've attached a few pictures and a pdf file that explains blade care, adjustment and pressure settings.

Good luck with your new cutter B)

post-1245-12986518869189_thumb.jpg

post-1245-12986518870477_thumb.jpg

post-1245-12986518871586_thumb.jpg

Blade Adjustment-rev-01.pdf

post-1245-12986518880881_thumb.jpg

post-1245-12986518881237_thumb.jpg

post-1245-12986518881639_thumb.jpg

Blade Adjustment-rev-01.pdf

Excellent...Popeye, u rock man. U stated you have a Pcut...which is the same without the lazer? Does USCutter have a manual for that? $450 bones later, it sits on my kitchen table...cant go to the living room cause I get the "evil eye" from my girlfriend for buying it...what can I say? I have no clue how to use the machine, thought it would come with a simple "how to"... =LJ=

The SignBlazer Elements Learning Guide and the "manual" for the cutter should be on the discs that were included with the cutter. If you didn't receive it, let Ken know and I'm sure he'll get you a replacement.

I thought it was going to be a plug and play thing too, but was awakened to reality. Not to worry, once you understand the basics you will turning into mad cuttin' fool! At least I did  B)

Whatever questions you have, bring it to the forum - try to post it in the right section (you get faster results), and we'll get everything working for you.

Maybe your girlfriend will go easy on you as soon as she sees you making cool stuff.

I have the Laser Point Cutter...but...if it is the same as the Pcut...then I might learn something from the PCut manual. I did a search on basic objctives, such as "How to load vinyl", etc...nada bro. Whoa, what if im the newbie of the newbies?  B) I thought I had a knack to figure stuff out and put things together (love those Legos), but the machine is a little intimidating...especially with no instructions. Heard good things about USCutter...thats why I bought. Im sure its a good machine...but as a secondary coffee table conversation piece...umm, dont think so.

Keep the faith, it will all come together for you.

Any questions and concerns, bring them here. We'll do our best to assist. The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.

Loading ... Well if you're loading a roll (or a really long piece), then the roll sits in the back and you pull the vinyl through the back of the cutter to the front. If it's a small piece, you just need to know that the cutter feeds the vinyl from back to front as it cuts. Do your best to get the vinyl as straight as possible, you can test how straight it is by loading the vinyl, taking the cutter "offline," and use the arrows to feed the vinyl back and forth. You'll see any drift. If what you're cutting is small, then drift shouldn't be a huge problem (just a waste of material). For small pieces, I try to line them up with some of the markings on the white/black/yellow sticker that's on the front of the machine. Try to get the pinch rollers down closer to the edge of the vinyl - it'll help minimize some drift. Do not use the pinch rollers over the gap between the two bottom rollers, it'll leave some serious dents in the vinyl.

Once you have your vinyl loaded, you need to position the vinyl to start. Feed the vinyl towards the back of the cutter so that there some just in front of the cutting area and ruler. With the cutter still offline, use the arrows to move the cutting carriage to the right most position of the vinyl. Once in position, press the cross hairs button to reset the cutter's 0,0 position. Put the cutter back online, and you're good to go!

It's going to be sooo cool when you get it up and running. Make sure you take some pics and post them in the show your work bulletin so we can see what you've been up to.

2thumbup.gif

Alright, the infamous Ken hit me up and just got off the phone with him. Seems some of my confusion was due to the fact that my cutter was off its track and hanging in the wrong position...FedEx. So, heres my next question...does the blade actually touch the cutting strip (I have it at a 60setting and the blade petrudes half the thickness of a credit card.) Right when I got off the phone I hit "Test" and the damn thing started jumping all over the place. I only had a small piece of vinyl  and the blade was cutting the length of the cutter (24"). I think I might of ruined the blade...

PS What angle of blades came with the cutter...I believe I had 3...thanks.  =LJ=

the angle that comes with the LP is a 45, there are others that use 60 for more intricate stuff.

yah, fedex sucks for so many different reasons.

i started out using a pressure of 60 too. others here crank there's up to over 100. when you move the carriage using the arrows, you need to remember to hit the cross hairs button to tell the cutter that the new carriage location is the 0,0 mark. if you take you cutter offline, move the vinyl and move the carriage (and without hitting the cross hairs button) the cutter will automatically return to whatever was the 0,0 mark.

as far as blade depth and pressure, it'll differ depending on the material, material manufacturer, etc. I have a 3M film that I need to back the pressure way off, and I also use Oracal 651 with a pressure any where between 70 - 80. As I said before, I started out at 60, but found that 70 - 80 will weed faster for him, so I guess my blade was only putting enough pressure to cut the vinyl and not really go into the adhesive all that much.

It'll be trial and error. I think I went through a good yard of 15" before I got the blade depth and pressure all setup, and that also includes the numerous times I forgot to reset the 0,0.

Don't worry about the cutting strip too much. They sell replacements, but once you get the hang of it, you won't be cutting through the vinyl or the backing.

It'll be worth it in the long run. Take a break, have a beer - then maybe it'll all come to you  B)

Good luck!

"Take a break, have a beer"

Good idea buddy...must reward todays progress. You have been very helpful, thank you.  =LJ=

Diving in again...I am having a problem communicating with the cutter. I bought a new USB cord and still no action. "Cannot open the output device...yadda yadda" keeps popping up. What is the additional cord that came with the cutter? How can I switch my preferances? I typed out some simple text to cut...almost there... =LJ=

OK, its connected using the serial cable (if thats what the other cord is). Now...how can I change the preferances in XP. I understand you must go to "Cut" then "Set Up" in SB...easy enough...just need to reconfigure my laptop to register with the cutter... =LJ=

skiinzzz,

The Pcut manual (using the term loosely) doesn't give you a lot of information... Open the above PDF and follow the directions for setting the blade depth and pressure, please.

As far as what to tell your girlfriend... being married three times, I'm probably not the best person to ask  :thumbsup:

skiinzzz,

The Pcut manual (using the term loosely) doesn't give you a lot of information... Open the above PDF and follow the directions for setting the blade depth and pressure, please.

As far as what to tell your girlfriend... being married three times, I'm probably not the best person to ask  :thumbsup:

I've got you beat by one. 4 ex wives in my past. :angel:

Well, not really... I didn't count the one I married in Canada  :thumbsup:

Tied 4-4....well, I'm still looking for ex # 5 so don't count me out.