Sign in to follow this  
cbs1963

Cutter recommendation for newbie with no cutter or vector experience

Without any working knowlegde of how vinyl cutters work and very limited vector knowledge, would using a cutter be overwhelming?  I have made some simple t-shirts, would like to learn how to use vinyl to expand and improve the shirt designs.  I've read alot in the forums and would like some opinions.  I am computer literate and love electronics.  I am also commited to building a business, albeit on an extremely small budget.  Well the budget is actually imaginary, but I did get some stimulus funds, woo hoo!  If you were me would you get one of the lower priced cutters to learn from?

I bought the pcut in decemeber and haven't had one problem with it. Never had any experience with cutting vinyl before this. As with anything new, patience is the key. I would definately recomend the pcut as a starter unit and as a back up. Not sure about how well it could handle the abuse of 8 hours every day work.

The MH721 or the PCut 24" are both great entry level models.

I had vector experience but no cutter experience @ the moment of buying my Refine. I got the Refine cuz It was all I could afford and I dont regret it. I love my machine.

Joe

I always feel like the LaserPoint gets the shaft justkidding.gif

I never had cutting or vectoring experience prior to getting my LaserPoint 24 (in November 2007). I like my LP. I have no complaints with exception as to better directions for the setting up the stand, but that's more an exercise in patience than anything else.

I recommend the LP. Not above or below the Pcut or Refine, just another cutter to toss in as an option. However, if you can expand the budget a bit, I would recommend the Copam.

As with anything, support is the most important thing. You cannot get better support for your cutter or whatever you're trying to do with your cutter outside of the forum.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words.  I don't lack eagerness, just useful knowledge.  I turned to you and you did not disappoint.  When I take the plunge I'm sure i'll need more help.  My understanding on the Laser Point is it's baically like a Pcut with the ability to contour cut.  Is the ability to contour cut worth the upgrade price?  Is it difficult to use?  Again, a big thank you.

the advantage of the refine,IMHO, is the options for connecting..serial,printer,and usb. Pcut only has USB...while most people have no problems connecting with USB, some do. And according to my brother (and others) the refine tends to track a bit better than the pcut. Less drift.

everyone I know who has the refine loves it. Myself included.

I was on a tight budget and picked out a Refine.  So far I haven't regretted the choice.

There are lots of tutorials on using vectorizing programs like Inkscape (which is free), so if you are willing to commit the time to learn, then you are home free  ;D

Actuallu John, the pcut now has serial and usb  ;D

nobody told ME. But I must say,it's about time too. But its good the refine also has LPT because that;'s the only way Gracewriter could get hers to work.

With the connections being equal, I'm getting that the refine is believed to have more accurate vinyl tracking and therefore a litte more accurate cutting and lower priced? More knowledge leads to better decisions.

My pcut tracks fine once I get it straight. The longest I have gone was 115" if I remember right.

I guess what I'm trying to get at are the differences in using each cutter.  I'm looking at t-shirt vinyl and learning to make simple signs and banners.  Don't have any customers yet, so right now production will be low.  According to pricing it's Refine, Pcut, Laser Point, and Copam.  I understand the Copam is top of the line in capabilities.  The Laser Point can do manual contour cutting.  Are the Refine and Pcut pretty much the same in capabilities, just different pricing from different manufacturers. Sorry to keep asking questions.

Guest fivestar

The Pcut is supposed to be made out of more quality parts then the refine.  I have a refine and use it every day, all day long and have not had a problem with it at all, except for the "line of death" back in the summer which I found was caused by too much humidity in the air causing static electricty and static electricity causes weird problems.

I am doing around 100 to 150 t-shirts with mine over the next week or so, I couldn't tell you have many miles of vinyl has been ran through my refine and she runs like she did when I first got her (knock on wood ;D ).

I have not had any tracking issues with my pcut either. I have done close to 250 yard signs and lots of other small jobs and it works great. The only tracking issue was OE. Didn,t run my vinyl through before a long cut and had it off a bit.

Like everyone else has said, support is the key! USCutter and this forum are by far the best!

I agree whole heartedly.  This forum and the support from US Cutter seem to get everyone up and running.  It seems that no matter which cutter you get, it gets the job done.  That's reassuring for me.  I only have a little to spend and really want to make sure I make good decisions that will help me to become more proficient and profitable.  The more I spend on a cutter, the less I have for supplies.  Thanks to everyone.

Just wanted to update the thread and let everyone know what cutter I got.  Today I won a LaserPoint 24 inch cutter with stand on ebay.  Stayed up late watching my bid and time.  Got up early to check.  Now it's time to learn how to use it.  I couldn't have done it without you.  Thanks for everyone's input.

Congrats on the win.  You know there will always be a great group of people here to help you along the way.

Jenny

This forum is really great.  You guys are like the vinyl cutting family I never had. LOL.  Can't wait to get the LP.