Coaster36

Need help how to do a job.

My church would like me to lay some vinyl  in a movie room. The plan is to make the vinyl look like a movie film that runs all the way around the room. So it will include some pretty long runs, the longest is about 24'.

My plan is to use 15" punched black vinyl and lay it around the room and then go back over with the individual "frames" and stick them to the black and be done. The "frames"  are just going to be squares with rounded corners. There is no rush to the job so if it takes 3 days then whatever. 

With that idea would you guys use application tape for the black or just center hinge it and then try not to stretch it. Or break it up into smaller sections and overlap the seams?

What kind of ways would you guys tackle this type of job? Im ordering the vinyl soon so tell me what you guys think.

Well one thing that I can say is that the Oracal 15" punched vinyl has very small circular holes and are spaced very close together,  so I would think they would be too small, besides film reel has square holes, not round holes.I think you would want to cut larger size SQUARE holes in the vinyl with the appropriate spacing to give it the right look...

film-1081666_960_720.jpg

• Like 1

Personally I'd paint the wall where the vinyl is to be placed grey, then cut black vinyl in the design and lay it over the grey.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, mb20music said:

Well one thing that I can say is that the Oracal 15" punched vinyl has very small circular holes and are spaced very close together,  so I would think they would be too small, besides film reel has square holes, not round holes.I think you would want to cut larger size SQUARE holes in the vinyl with the appropriate spacing to give it the right look...

film-1081666_960_720.jpg

I plan you use the punched vinyl just for the feed holes that are on a film real. Im going to lay the black down and then go back over with each individual "frame" and lay the white on top of the black to give the look of film. 

film-reel-graphic-215990.png

like this, the punched vinyl will be the holes on top and bottom, then I'll cut white squares to make the frames. 

Does anyone else have an ideas for accomplishing this?

I took a couple of minutes and did a scale mock-up of what you propose.

The existing holes on the edge of the roll vinyl are

pretty small to pull off the film roll look.

The attached image shows the 1/8 inch holes spaced a quarter inch from the edge with

a half inch between them, measured from a roll of Oracal 651.

The large squares are at the same (9x12 inch) size as the original.

FilmStrip_02b.png

• Like 1

Adding (approx) 1 inch x 1 1/2 inch rectangular holes as per the original, inside of the existing,

punched holes, would go a long ways toward visual realism, IMO. (However, plenty more work weeding!)

• Like 3

Yeah your right skarekrow. Im going to do it the right way and just design all of it. So far its not to bad to weed, well see what I say after doing 50 yards worth...

• Like 1

I will admit that its a good test to all the features that I dont normally use in vinylmaster. Ill at least learn a lot with this job.

Piece O'cake to design that Graphic in  Vm....

Also, be sure and Test your vinyl adhesion to the intended walls.

Better to know ahead of time if there are any issues to study the Options.

ie. Repaint the Walls or create a stencil to Paint the Graphic on the Walls, etc.

• Like 2