Sign in to follow this  
tatinc2000

My first attempt

This is my first attempt and it turned out decent. Just words, but you have to start somewhere. All the "e"s stuck to the knife so I had to place them separately.  Not sure why they were sticking, any ideas? 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Too much speed can also cause some lifting. Some fonts with skinny little parts like those e's and the a's I sometimes add some stroke to thicken the font a bit and then convert and weld and make it a little more cutter friendly if I can get away with it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestions. I give both a try. My blade height is set so it just scratches the backing. I'll play with it more after the weekend. 

Not to question you on that but I like to kneel down while mine is cutting to see how much air gap there is between the blade holder and the vinyl. Should just be the smallest of clearance. You don't actually want you holder to be dragging the top of the vinyl but almost. I set mine like that on 3mil calendared and difference to cast is not corrected for, it's only another 1000th of an inch at 2 mil. Often you can have more blade than that out and get your pressure set to just kiss the backing like you describe but still have more blade out than you should. Not making assumptions here just clarifying for you and any future search parties. 

There is a common misconception that you adjust the blade depth to dial it in to the right amount of cutting depth. The two are not related. Your down pressure determines cutting depth (to create the perfect light scratch) but can only be correctly set AFTER the proper blade depth has been set. Blade exposure is possibly a more accurate term. 

• Like 3