Benr98

Application Tape Holder

Does anyone use the application tape holder??? I'm really thinking of getting one especially with this upcoming large order (well it's large to me  ;D

When I checked around they are a bit pricey.

Thanks.

Jenny

Looking at them, I wonder how difficult it would be to make your own for much cheaper (if you are handy kinda person).  Doesn't look too complicated of a setup.

Was wondering the same thing.  Maybe some here will have a homemade one or atleast be able to find them a bit cheaper!!  Have a couple roller racks....Hmmmm

John, what did you make yours from?? Any pics??  I just don't have the extra to spend to much money on one just yet.

Thanks

Jenny

I think (Banner) John has a home made with using a broomstick and some other stuff. I'm thinking of a design that i can use with PVC pipes. Just haven't gotten around to thinking it all the way through ... but I know how to make PVC marshmallow shooters ... much to my entire family's irritation. teehee.gif

I think I need to save my broomsticks so I have a means of alternative transportation. PeanutButterJellyTimen.gif

LOL Haumana....sounds like you have a way of getting yourself into trouble....hehe  ;D

3 pieces of plywood...one for the base,two that attach at each end sticking up. drill two holes in each side,about 6 inches apart. get some 3 inch pvc pipe with end caps. Drill holes directly in the centre of each end cap. Get some rods (broomsticks will do) and mount the pvc pipe in the holder. Place tape on top,running the tape between the two pipes and down,out the front. I made mine to handle up to 16 inch tape, length is up to you.

I attached 2 'L" brackets to the edge,so it hooks onto the edge of my work table. You can also clamp it down. The attached pic is of the prototype,made from stuff I had lying about.

Well thank you ALL..........as if I haven't said it enough this forum and it's members are THE BEST!!!!  ;D

Jenny

Jenny,

Tried to reply to this post yesterday and show you the App. holder that i had made years ago, not sure if that will help ya or not but something to look at to give you a idea.. Like i said in earlier post i could build more if there was a interest.

post-1983-12986518723712_thumb.png

post-1983-12986518739976_thumb.png

I made these for about $5.00 Just clamp it down to the table, stick a stick/pipe through the holes and you're ready to roll!

Same thing that swaneejuggalo posted a link to.

post-1656-12986518724116_thumb.jpg

post-1656-12986518740107_thumb.jpg

I think the clamp and stick part is easy, but what are you guys fabbing the vertical 'stick holders' with?

My dad restores old Ford Model A's as a hobby, so I found some 1 1/4" square tubing in a scrap pile, cut the pieces to size, and welded them together. I added the bottom plate for the clamp, and rattle canned it so it won't rust.

Ahh ... so the secret is old Ford Model A's parts. Got it! laugh2.gif

I'm wondering if I try to construct one out of PVC it it'll be sturdy enough. Oh well, trial by fire.

Guest gracewriter

Since we're posting pics.  Here's my tape holder.  It's a little pricey and sometimes not available but gets the job done.

post-0-12986518814531_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986518829212_thumb.jpg

LOL....now that's to funny!!!! Thanks for making my morning.

We did end up building one over the weekend and I'll get a picture of it today.

Jenny

LOL...how cute! But totally portable,easy to move, and adjustable.

I need to build one for myself. Now what I do is I lay the tape roll on the floor and unroll the portion I need with the sticky side up (obviusly) and then put the decals facing down against the tape. This is not very effective though. Tape can get dirty and stuff, but thats how I've been doing it.

JC

Ok here is what was made this weekend and has made applying the tape to the stencils SO much faster.

tapeholder21.jpg

that looks very good! How about some details?

Ok John I can do that!  ;D

The 2 side plates that came with our treadmill, it was used for shipping, than cut 2 pipes (white ones) to fit and secured those.  Welded the bottom plate on the bottom.  Placed a roll of masking tape next to the application tape to use as a spacer until I need to use a wider roll. 2 C-clamps to hold it to the table.  Cost $6.00.  <-----that's the best part!  ;D

Jenny

I need to build one for myself. Now what I do is I lay the tape roll on the floor and unroll the portion I need with the sticky side up (obviusly) and then put the decals facing down against the tape. This is not very effective though. Tape can get dirty and stuff, but thats how I've been doing it.

JC

I do the same thing, Joe... even with having those roller stands. I don't have a space big enough to do mass production in my office, so sometimes I put the app tape on in the office, sometimes in the dining room, and even sometimes in the garage.

LMAO... Gracewriter, it looks like that tape holder took about 6 years to make?!?! And I'm sure it was expensive, and has given you a few headaches over the years?!?!  ;D

Gracewritter very nice tape holder, I use the same thing........well same model type anyway except mines a little older. Sometimes I use the model I married but I keep thinking of trading it in for a newer model  ;D

Guest gracewriter

I couldn't resist! After I took the pic. I noticed what his T-Shirt said.  Too funny!

Yes, john my tape holder is adjustable, give him attitude adjustments all the time.  It actually took me 10 years to build it and about another 8 months, three days and 13 hours gestating the prototype.

Turned out pretty nice, don't you think?

Glad I made you all laugh, it makes my day when I can do that.

Cheers!